Do You Remember Rock n Roll Radio? - have a listen please

rayc said:
I've always had a soft spot for End of the Century. Excellent tunes regardless of feelings re the producer & production - he did bring out Joey's melodic side.
The cover is grand - the guitars are a little more pun metal than the originals but they certainly rev the tune up.
I really enjoyed your walk across the airwaves - really a much better idea than dup'ing the original selection of tracks.
I didn't understand the voice over's relevance until I saw the doco.
What can I say Greg?
REALLY cool taste, excellent playing & excellent recording.
Thanks a lot Ray. :)

Yeah I'm not thrilled with the guitar tone. It's REALLY hard to mimic Johnny's Mosrite/Marshall tone, and Spector buried the guitars in the original version anyway, so I just went with a generic crunch.

I agree about the songs on End of the Century. The songs are fantastic. I'd just love to hear them done in true Ramones fashion.

Greg_L said:
Thanks! :)

KISS did a great job on that Ramones tribute CD. Their version of this song was the highlight of the CD by far. Green Day did a really good job as well. Everything else mostly sucked with U2, Marilyn Manson, and Metallica sucking the worst.

Eh, iduno. I'm not a big fan of U2, but I think they did a fine job. The Manson sucked. Metalica was allright I guess. I really liked the Chilli Pepper's Havvanah Affair. I think it was much better than the Ramone's version.

Greg_L said:
Originally done by the RAMONES from their Phil Spector over-produced "End of the Century" album.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=639137&songID=5469271

Any comments/critiques are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg :)

Wow, fun!!!

Vox are a little, well, refined for punk... :) Dry em out a bit and get em all up in your face...

You do realize, of course that this is a rhythmic rip of a Bay City Rollers tune, right? :) Neener, neener, earworm!

S-A-T-U-R-DAY-NIGHT!

You did a terrific job on this, man. difficult piece to pull of and you did a fine job!!

Llarion said:
Wow, fun!!!

Vox are a little, well, refined for punk... :) Dry em out a bit and get em all up in your face...

You do realize, of course that this is a rhythmic rip of a Bay City Rollers tune, right? :) Neener, neener, earworm!

S-A-T-U-R-DAY-NIGHT!

You did a terrific job on this, man. difficult piece to pull of and you did a fine job!!
Lol. Thanks bro. The Ramones classic chant of "Hey Ho Lets Go" has been attributed to the BCR's as well. :p

its a good job... i hear muffled sounding drums and a lot of sludge in the low end

the guitar needs some air. it sounds too direct and not like a mic'ed amp with proper eq

the whole thing started giving me a headache toward the end with the thumping muffled drums a little too "high impact" and too much low end energy.

with the original most of the energy seems to be in the vocals and the horn. the drums are a lot lower in the mix and have a lot less impact. the guitar sounds a lot more distant. the thumping muffled drum drops out in some parts.

a little air and less sludge would go a long way

i always thought the bay city rollers were singing hey! hey! beat em off beat em off!

groovyisland said:
its a good job... i hear muffled sounding drums and a lot of sludge in the low end

the guitar needs some air. it sounds too direct and not like a mic'ed amp with proper eq

the whole thing started giving me a headache toward the end with the thumping muffled drums a little too "high impact" and too much low end energy.

with the original most of the energy seems to be in the vocals and the horn. the drums are a lot lower in the mix and have a lot less impact. the guitar sounds a lot more distant. the thumping muffled drum drops out in some parts.

a little air and less sludge would go a long way

i always thought the bay city rollers were singing hey! hey! beat em off beat em off!
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it, although I really don't hear, and noone else mentioned any of the problems you're mentioning. What are you listening through?

i have an m-audio 3 way system with a sub

i listened to yours and then to the original

if you do that listen to the guitar - which sounds good on yours but a lot bigger and closer than on the original

a little air or distance never hurts

listen to how the low end energy on the original is so much thinner almost like there isnt much low end at all

if i record something and make it sound good to me without referencing i always wind up with a lot of low end sludge that commercial recordings dont have. now i eq that out of my samples and tracks and i try to add air and remove impact to try to get the sounds of my favorite recordings

i notice it because im working on the same things myself

groovyisland said:
i have an m-audio 3 way system with a sub

i listened to yours and then to the original

if you do that listen to the guitar - which sounds good on yours but a lot bigger and closer than on the original

a little air or distance never hurts

listen to how the low end energy on the original is so much thinner almost like there isnt much low end at all

if i record something and make it sound good to me without referencing i always wind up with a lot of low end sludge that commercial recordings dont have. now i eq that out of my samples and tracks and i try to add air and remove impact to try to get the sounds of my favorite recordings

i notice it because im working on the same things myself
Okay, thanks. Maybe it's your sub that's giving it too much low end. I've listsned to it on various systems by now and it translated pretty good on everything. I'm not trying to sound exactly like the original. Actually, my goal was to try to get something that would sound more like what the Ramones sound like when Phil Spector isn't goofing their sound all up with horns and orchestras and stuff. More like their Ed Stasium produced albums which have punchy drums and in-your-face guitars.

I'm not trying to be an ass because I do value and appreciate everyone's input on my stuff. That's why I post it. I just think you're comparing it too much to the original, which is fine, but it was never my intention to sound exactly like the original. Like I said, I was hoping to have it sound more like a traditional Ramones recording - big drums, loud buzzsawing guitars. :)

i love my monitors. the sub turns the lx4's into agents of awesomeness. all the amps - 6 of em - are in the sub so only 1 power cord.

the only thing i would change is the tweet. i prefer silk domes but for the price i can't complain. 2 bills for the system shipped brand new.

its easy to set a sub like this. just use some familiar reference cds and use your ears.

i know subs are controversial and i agree with the reasoning of people who dont like them. i also agree with the reasoning of people who do.

when you asked me what i use for listening i knew you were gonna blame the sub because i probably would have done the same under the same circumstances.

i love my monitors. the sub turns the lx4's into agents of awesomeness. all the amps - 6 of em - are in the sub so only 1 power cord.

the only thing i would change is the tweet. i prefer silk domes but for the price i can't complain. 2 bills for the system shipped brand new.

its easy to set a sub like this. just use some familiar reference cds and use your ears.

i know subs are controversial and i agree with the reasoning of people who dont like them. i also agree with the reasoning of people who do.

when you asked me what i use for listening i knew you were gonna blame the sub because i probably would have done the same under the same circumstances.
I didn't "blame the sub". I said it's a possibility. And after reading another of your drum reviews in someone elses thread, I think I may be right. The reason why I asked what you're listening on is because I've posted dozens of songs in here, and noone else has the same reaction to my drum sounds. I've gotten lots of feedback from people in here that I respect and trust based on the quality of their own stuff. I appreciate and learn from it all. My mixes typically tend to be a little on the bright side on most peoples systems. That's a far cry from too much "low end energy". "Muddy and muffled" aren't usually mentioned from others, so I asked why. No biggee.

ok...

dude your tune is awesome! i wouldnt change a thing!

Dude, don't be a dumbfuck. Empty compliments ain't what I'm here for. I've had my shit ripped apart by people with way more cred in here than you. I welcome it. The fact is that out of dozens of songs I've posted, and tons of positive and negative feedback on my stuff, ONLY YOU said that the drums are muffled and muddy. So, I question it. I haven't heard anything from you and your other posts are suspect. Sorry, but I'm gonna need more than "my 200 dollar monitors with a sub says so".

and i thought i was bad with taking criticism. jeez.

I welcome criticism.....as long as it makes sense. Had a bunch of other people told me what you did, then I'd be more inclined to believe you. For all I know, you don't record music at all. I'm a humble dude and always look to improve. Never EVER did imply that any my mixes or anything were perfect and above critique.

Back