Guitar FX pedals and samplers etc.

glynb

Balladeer
I've seen a couple of artists perform solo using (pre-)sampled sounds and loops etc on various foot pedals.

An example of such an artist would be Joseph Arthur.

Can any of you recomend or advise the type of pedals required, fx boxes, or any other stuff I'd need to look at in order to do something similar.

Would one of the high end POD series be the thing for example? How about Digitech pedals?

Thanks for any advice...

Although I'm not lucky enough to own one, I'm a big fan of the Roland Space Echo. It's a tape delay unit and it rocks.

I own a DD-3, which just isn't in the same league, but will allow you to do very small loops with its 'hold' function.

I guess you'll want something that does longer loops thsn the DD-3 though.

Hmmmmm.... I have a PODxt and I am very dissapointed with it. It's fine for recording demos at home but the overall tone just just doesnt cut mustard when it comes to serious recording. Some of the tones have a lot of hiss and crackle even if you are playing through the 'cleanest' gear, in the 'quietest' room but most of all there is very little power to the heavy distortions. My impression of the PODxt sound is that it skims the surface only, it sounds ok but has no depth. The Digitech GNX series on the other hand has a much more agressive sound and has a fuller element to it. I have a GNX1 whch I still use along side my rack gear for certain parts. However, I have heard from many sources that the Vox ToneLab is the best modeller out there in terms of quality of sound. It doesnt offer as many effects or cab sims but the reality is, you will only ever use a handful anyway.

Forgot to mention, the Digitech GNX-4 has a recording and loop function too, you wont get that on a POD or Vox ToneLab...

Thanks for the input thus far.
Whilst sound quality is obviously important too, I'm mostly interested in what they use to be creative in terma of creating that 'one man band' type sound, using loops on loops, and presumably pre-recorded sounds on their pedals. I understand some of the advancedd pedals incorporate a multitrack recorder and i assume some of these artists are making use of that particular function for live use?
Any more suggestions?

late response...

get the digitech gnx-4 and also midi-up your guitar. then you can have that band-in-a-box thing going, plus turn your guitar into any instrument you want.

i've got the digitech gnx1 as my guitar fx processor and the roland gr-33 for midi sounds.

Superhuman said:
Hmmmmm.... I have a PODxt and I am very dissapointed with it. It's fine for recording demos at home but the overall tone just just doesnt cut mustard when it comes to serious recording. Some of the tones have a lot of hiss and crackle even if you are playing through the 'cleanest' gear, in the 'quietest' room but most of all there is very little power to the heavy distortions. My impression of the PODxt sound is that it skims the surface only, it sounds ok but has no depth. The Digitech GNX series on the other hand has a much more agressive sound and has a fuller element to it. I have a GNX1 whch I still use along side my rack gear for certain parts. However, I have heard from many sources that the Vox ToneLab is the best modeller out there in terms of quality of sound. It doesnt offer as many effects or cab sims but the reality is, you will only ever use a handful anyway.

I just got a VOX Tonelab SE 2 weeks ago and so far I like it very much. I have been especially happy with it's sound and diversity for recordings because I don't have to mic anything.

Here is a rough recording that I made yesterday. It has pretty good guitar tone IMO. I have only begun to learn how to use the Tonelab SE so it can only get better from here. "Operation Failure" is the only song there that uses the Tonelab.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=14647522

Back