Mackie ProFX8 (FX loop on one channel, Onboard FX on other)

normonster

Hey Everyone....thank you in advance if you can offer me some help here.

My question is this: if I am using a Mackie ProFX8, will I have the capability of using onboard FX on one channel while simultaneously using the FX loop + an external FX unit, on another channel.

I needed some more XLR inputs so I ordered this mixer today (to replace my little Behringer USB mixer). I am hoping to use the on-board FX to add some reverb, etc to my guitar signal on one channel while using the FX loop to bring in FX from a Digitech V300 vocal processor to my mic channel, at the same time.

Does this look doable? I'd rather not plug straight into the V300 because I'd like to be able to use those FX on more than one mic channel on the mixer.

As luck would have it, I also picked up an LR Baggs Venue and a Boss Looper pedal. I'm stoked! Going to be some jamming going on in my house this weekend!

Cheers!

I answered your post on the acousticguitarforum:

I've never used any outboard FX units with my Mackie FX12, but I'm pretty sure that you would need to use the 'insert' jack on the channel for the outboard FX (as opposed to the mono send/stereo return jacks which are for the master mix). Then you would use the channel FX knob to keep the onboard FX off the inserted channel, and on any other channel you want it on.

OK, so that still limits the use of the external FX to a single channel though, correct. Maybe it isn't possible. I sent the Q to Mackie so I'll post back if they reply.

Sorry for the cross-post.

You didn't say you wanted to run the outboard FX on multiple channels! IN that case, you would need to send each track to a second mixer (and then to the outboard FX), then send that signal back to a new input track on the mixer.

Thanks MJ! Damn it though. Dang. Maybe this mixer isn't the right one for me. I received it last night but I haven't opened it yet. Maybe I should research and get a different model.

Has it been a good board for you so far? The reviews, which I read after I ordered or course, are really bad.

Can you think of a board that would allow both on-board reverb on some channels and then the use of an external box for FX on other channels (via an FX loop)?

Thanks for you help. Do really appreciate the input.

I've had no issues with my FX12 in 5 years of use (I don't use it a ton, but never problems.) You'd have to find a board with 2 FX systems, one on board and one external. I think when you get up to that stage, boards don't have the built-in FX in them.
Get an inexpensive Behr mixer (I have one as a backup, never had to use it) that you can use as I describe above.

Weird...I just typed a long response and it was lost.

Suffice to say, thank you Mike, much appreciated. I am replacing a little behr mixer with this, so I guess I already have the submixer. Perfect! Just need a bass player who wants to sing!

The mackie sounds good upon first test. The onboard FX will be useful to some extent, to add a little reverb. The faders seem delicate though, so I'll be careful with those. I do wish it had compression on a few channels. All in all, I'm keeping it. I hope it has less shortcomings that my behringer Q502usb when it comes to tracking on my PC.

Cheers! And by the way, that boss looper that came in this same order will steal away hours of your time....hours....and hours...and hours.

Back