Guitar amp hum

Shack

Hi, I was just in the process of miking and recording from my 12 x 12 guitar amp when I noticed for the first time that there was humming anytime I turned up the treble, pre and post knobs, when they are low the hum isn't there but then the amp is not loud enough. Anyone know if there is something I can to do to sort this or why it occurs? My computer, monitor and every other electrical are off, so there is nothing in the vicinity.

Update to my post, the problem is not exactly the hum, it is more a sound like you wouldhear on a very quiet night like a high srill from locusts or something, don't know how to dscribe it really, but the problem is more of that than the hum.

If you record near a vga monitor, or flourescent lighting, that might be a problem. Turn off your monitor, see what happens. Does you amp have a ground lift button?

Make sure you are using a speaker cable (not an instrument cable) between the head and the cabinet.
You might need new tubes.
What kind of amp is it? 12X12? Do you really have 3 4x12 cabinets? It could be feedback.

Sorry its not one of those ones with a separate head, it's a combo which is 12 inches x 12 inches x 6 inches. O only have one. I've really ever used it for practise and never really bothered about any noise I hear but now I wanted to use it for recording I noticed the noise, it's more like a high shrill, the hum is negligible. I've tried plugging it elsewhere, same problem, connecting a wire to the pickups or anywhre else and stepping on it or touching metal with it, does not make any difference.

What is the make and model of the amp? The dimensions are not helpful. Is it tube or transistor? What size/kind of speaker? open backed or closed?

Its a Torque T12, I honestly don't know if its tube or transistor. The back of the amp is covered, so does that make it a closed back?

I just tried to google it, I can't find any information on this thing at all. My guess is that it is just too cheap to even bother with, or too old to work properly.

Back