Grab Yourself A Deal On A Tube Amplifier!

Here's a song I've been working on in the studio.... CLICK HERE

I rushed out a mix today just to show you how mine sounds..... granted, it's an MP3, and some of the nuance has been lost in the compression, but I'll let you be the judge. Maybe the speaker in the newer models aren't the same???

Peace!!

~Shawn
Nice pickin' there son. What's your signal chain? Are your sure there's a V18 in there somewhere?

Nice pickin' there son. What's your signal chain? Are your sure there's a V18 in there somewhere?

Thanks Mike. I was hoping you'd like the sound of it
Distortion (modeled tube screamer), EQ, Crate V32 (pushed hard), SM57, DAW with delay, verb, and compression added there. The V32 is just like the V18, only with 2 more output tubes.

Peace!

~Shawn

Are you kiddin' me :confused:? That whole thing sounds frickin' awesome! Well, your drummer isn't pulling his weight :p. But that is a great tone, and great licks. I thought about the V32, but I have a plethora of amplifiers in the 30 or 40-watt range, so this is essentially my second 15-watt amplifier. The other is an early 70's Traynot Guitar Mate. The V18 just sound better, and it's my new demo recording amplifier. In one of my many side-band projects, I play bass with a guitar player who uses the V32 with a Tele, and it he has no trouble filling the stage with great tone. We're doing funk and old school R&B (think Meters, Wilson Pickett, Eddie Floyd), and the V32 seems prefect. Me, if I was playing guitar in this same project (and I have), I was using a Strat and a Super Reverb. Hearing the V32 from 'the other side' of the stage is what convinced me the Crate V series was a shamefully well kept secret, and I stopped being a Fender snob. Well, I still play a Jazz bass, but you get the idea.

Are you kiddin' me :confused:? That whole thing sounds frickin' awesome! Well, your drummer isn't pulling his weight :p. But that is a great tone, and great licks. I thought about the V32, but I have a plethora of amplifiers in the 30 or 40-watt range, so this is essentially my second 15-watt amplifier. ...snip snip... Hearing the V32 from 'the other side' of the stage is what convinced me the Crate V series was a shamefully well kept secret, and I stopped being a Fender snob. Well, I still play a Jazz bass, but you get the idea.

Thanks ranjam! "My drummer" in this case is a not close to finished midi drum track ;)
Glad to see another v-series "believer." ;) I wish I had an extra $149, I would so love to get me the lower watt version. I actually built an isolation cab with the help of an engineer friend of mine, so I could crank the V32 up the way it should be on stage. It works great, but a 15 watter would be soooo nice.

Peace!

~Shawn

I dont know about how a celestion Greenback sounds with this setup...but a vintage 30 might even be better...it will become closer to breaking up at a low volume.

I have a Crate VC5 I got on the cheap and it sounds exellent feeding that speaker in an isolation cabnet.

Thanks ranjam! "My drummer" in this case is a not close to finished midi drum track ;)
Glad to see another v-series "believer." ;) I wish I had an extra $149, I would so love to get me the lower watt version. I actually built an isolation cab with the help of an engineer friend of mine, so I could crank the V32 up the way it should be on stage. It works great, but a 15 watter would be soooo nice.

Peace!

~Shawn

Yeah that sounds great. Very nice tones and great playing. The tune itself sounds a little ... I dunno ... stock I guess, but you certainly tore it up in style.

My favorite part was the high feedback note that crept in at 0:44 or so. Was that a Les Paul?

Nice work! :)

Interested...

How loud do the 32s like to run? I'm very interested in getting rehearsal and small room gigs under control, volume wise. Stupid NMV Twin...

Oh, and what differences are there between the Palominos and the current Vs?

Yeah that sounds great. Very nice tones and great playing. The tune itself sounds a little ... I dunno ... stock I guess, but you certainly tore it up in style.

My favorite part was the high feedback note that crept in at 0:44 or so. Was that a Les Paul?

Nice work! :)

Thanks Famous Beagle! That's not a Les Paul, but my home-made Telecaster Thinline :D It's got a GFS Fatbody Overwound single coil Tele bridge pickup.

Interested...

How loud do the 32s like to run? I'm very interested in getting rehearsal and small room gigs under control, volume wise. Stupid NMV Twin...

Oh, and what differences are there between the Palominos and the current Vs?

The V32 is a loud 30 watt amp, but not TOO loud. It's a relative thing. The only thing different about the Palomino was the color of the tolex and the badge. The V33H is a head version of the V32 palomino I have.... and for about $300 you can have that head, plus a 2x12 matching cab from Musicians Friend..... it's a steal!

Peace!

~Shawn

You & me both. I'm fighting the urge. Must.......be........strong.............

Resistance is futile..... give in to the Force!!

This isn't quite up to the "I wish I hadn't sold that 68 Les Paul Custom for $250 rent money" point, but $300 for a 32 watt all tube class a head built in the states with a 2x12 closed back cab with 2 celestions is getting close to the "I really need to buy it, look at all the money I'm saving" point.
There.... see? Instead of thinking of the $300 you now have on your CC for this sweet amp, you can tell your wife about the $1000 you saved on this spectacular purchase, and how much sooner you'll have it paid for! :D

Hee hee

~Shawn

From what I believe (keep in mind I also believe in Karma), the Palomino series was built in the US, and had a power transformer. They were also four or five times the price of the V series, which is made in China and has a switch-mode power supply. I have a new respect for Chinese tube amplifiers; a good friend with more money than I have picked up a Chines-made Vox AC30, and we A/B'd it against a $2K+ Orange combo. I'd take the Vox anyday. The Crate is still an awesome deal, but as soon as I open it up or think about changing speakers, the 'deal' (while still sweet) is just a little less sweet.
As a side note, I just took the back panel off, and you may be able to tweak a few things here and there without even pulling the circuit board out :D :D. The deal just got sweeter.

From what I believe (keep in mind I also believe in Karma), the Palomino series was built in the US, and had a power transformer. They were also four or five times the price of the V series, which is made in China and has a switch-mode power supply. I have a new respect for Chinese tube amplifiers; a good friend with more money than I have picked up a Chines-made Vox AC30, and we A/B'd it against a $2K+ Orange combo. I'd take the Vox anyday. The Crate is still an awesome deal, but as soon as I open it up or think about changing speakers, the 'deal' (while still sweet) is just a little less sweet.
As a side note, I just took the back panel off, and you may be able to tweak a few things here and there without even pulling the circuit board out :D :D. The deal just got sweeter.

Well, the Palomino's were certainly never 4-5 times the price of the V-Series. As a matter of fact, the V-Series includes the Palomino. When I ordered my schematic from Crate for my V-Series Palomino V-32, they sent the schem for a V-3112, which is/was the same amp with different tolex. Now anything since that time is possible; they may have begun building them over-seas. Yours should have country of origin marked on it someplace. What do it say?

Well, most HC reviews claim the reviewer paid anywhere from $250 or $299 used to $425 to ..... geez the prices are all over. Keep in mind this is research I did before I bought the V18. Here are a pair of used V32 on Kijiji for $450, which leads me to believe the amplifier was more new.

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Crate-Palomino-V32-Class-A-Tube-Amp-Made-in-U-S-A-W0QQAdIdZ72538738

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Crate-Palomino-V32-Class-A-Tube-Amp-Made-in-U-S-A-W0QQAdIdZ72539069

And a 1 X 12" 30-watt combo for $300 used. Keep in mind this thread was from 2007.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs-ft-crate-palomino-30w-class-a-tube-combo-66252.html

But still, tha amplifiers had to be more brand new. It seems the Palomino series were USA made and had Celestion speakers. That bumps up the price. Oh, here is a Gear Page thread from 2005, and the fellow states he paid $549 for his Palomino brand spankin' new.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=82470

I have a hunch Crate just figured they were getting killed on making these amplifiers themselves, and outsourced a cheap alternative. And now the V series is getting replaced by the Blackheart series, so those are getting blown out. Take advantage now, and ask questions later ;).

I dont know about how a celestion Greenback sounds with this setup...but a vintage 30 might even be better...it will become closer to breaking up at a low volume.

I have a Crate VC5 I got on the cheap and it sounds exellent feeding that speaker in an isolation cabnet.

Actually the Greenback should break up a lot sooner than a V30. The V30's are 60 watt speakers and I believe the Greenbacks are just 25.

Well, most HC reviews claim the reviewer paid anywhere from $250 or $299 used to $425 to ..... geez the prices are all over. Keep in mind this is research I did before I bought the V18. Here are a pair of used V32 on Kijiji for $450, which leads me to believe the amplifier was more new.

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Crate-Palomino-V32-Class-A-Tube-Amp-Made-in-U-S-A-W0QQAdIdZ72538738

http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Crate-Palomino-V32-Class-A-Tube-Amp-Made-in-U-S-A-W0QQAdIdZ72539069

And a 1 X 12" 30-watt combo for $300 used. Keep in mind this thread was from 2007.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f28/fs-ft-crate-palomino-30w-class-a-tube-combo-66252.html

But still, tha amplifiers had to be more brand new. It seems the Palomino series were USA made and had Celestion speakers. That bumps up the price. Oh, here is a Gear Page thread from 2005, and the fellow states he paid $549 for his Palomino brand spankin' new.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=82470

I have a hunch Crate just figured they were getting killed on making these amplifiers themselves, and outsourced a cheap alternative. And now the V series is getting replaced by the Blackheart series, so those are getting blown out. Take advantage now, and ask questions later ;).

Both of my Palomino V-32 amps are made in the USA with celestions. I paid $500.00 new in Jan. 2006 for my 1x12, and $350.00 new in February 2008 for the 2x12. It was the last one they had at GC.

Again, does your V-18 amp have the country of origin on it someplace?

Peace!

~Shawn

Shawn; Yep. 'Designed in USA, Manufactured in China'. But it sounds so cool, I could care less. I haven't pulled the board yet, but it does look rather 'light duty', although the circuit board itself looks OK. I am not a fan of double sided feed-through boards. It may take some effort to swap resistors and capacitors, but I have a method :p. And for $500 you got something likely more 'robust' and with a better speaker than I did for $150, although the tones are probably both pretty darn good. I doubt I'll spend $350 'upgrading', because if I did, that would be silly. I'd rather find a used Palomino off of Kijiji. That creme vinyl looks sexy as all Hell.

My V18's built in China. Says so on the back. I don't care.
I've practiced with it three times now and will be gigging with it this weekend. I think the speaker has "broken in" a litle now and I don't hate it as much. I'm running an old Digitech GSP in front of it with my G&L Bluesboy and can hardly wipe the smile off my face.

We just brought in another guitar player to the group. He wheels in a Mark IV and a 212 Mesa cabinet. He's plenty loud, but he can't seem to dial it in. Anyway the V18 doesn't have anything to be ashamed about. I might have to buy a few spares at $149. Oh, and MF has that 212 closed-backed cabinet in stock now for $120.

Are you kidding me??

I was pretty stoked about my Blackheart, but this V18 is just killing. Of course, back in the day, I campaigned with the real Crate, you know, the one in the wooden box?

Resistance is futile..... give in to the Force!!

This isn't quite up to the "I wish I hadn't sold that 68 Les Paul Custom for $250 rent money" point, but $300 for a 32 watt all tube class a head built in the states with a 2x12 closed back cab with 2 celestions is getting close to the "I really need to buy it, look at all the money I'm saving" point.
There.... see? Instead of thinking of the $300 you now have on your CC for this sweet amp, you can tell your wife about the $1000 you saved on this spectacular purchase, and how much sooner you'll have it paid for! :D

Hee hee

~Shawn

Oh you know the drill too well. I recently had a guy in my studio with '66 Super Reverb (and a 64' strat!) and my own 93 Strat sounded better through his amp than anything I'd ever had. I started mumbling about needing something like that, and Mrs. Strat started mumbling about much that would cost. I told her about $2000.

She was worried.

So a week later when I came home with a used $325 Blues Jr--she was thrilled. It wasn't like I spent $325--it was like I saved almost $1700! :D

Back