Grab Yourself A Deal On A Tube Amplifier!

Ah well.

Anyway, I plan to post a veritable encyclopedia of carefully documented before-during-after clips, plus some playing around with sounds I like. I did the "befores" tonight. LPC and Am Std Strat, neck and bridge pickups, roughly the same chords and a couple of pentatonic figures, at a variety of gain stages.

The clips are a bit under a minute each, there are 42 of them. I'll duplicate them when I'm done diddling with amp innards.

Ah well.

Anyway, I plan to post a veritable encyclopedia of carefully documented before-during-after clips, plus some playing around with sounds I like. I did the "befores" tonight. LPC and Am Std Strat, neck and bridge pickups, roughly the same chords and a couple of pentatonic figures, at a variety of gain stages.

The clips are a bit under a minute each, there are 42 of them. I'll duplicate them when I'm done diddling with amp innards.

AWESOME!!
Please, don't forget to post results!!!

~Shawn

I've had my v30h and 2x12 with the Tone Tubby speakers for a couple of years. It's from the original series, made in the US. The build quality is solid, it responds great to all manners of pedals, and overall the sound is very balanced. I really can't speak for the Chinese series, but for the price... replace the tubes and I'm sure they'll hold their own.

The block diagram is not as telling as the actual schematic. In most block diagrams, a stage of amplification can be shown as a traingle that looks like an op-amp. Hmm, in the Crate manual, the tube stages are actually drawn as a triode, and the op-amp is drawn like....... an op-amp :o.
If you have the honest-ta-gawd schematic, you'll see the TLO72 drives the Line Out as well as the Reverb. But it is also a line buffer to the phase inverter :confused:. But what I really see on the schematic;
  1. No negative feedback.
  2. I am not sure what to call it, but the tone stack is darn near removed from the circuit. It's an old Boogie trick, and completely lifting the ground of the Middle control removes the tone stack, and give you a huge boost.
  3. The Reverb driver IC has too much recovery.
  4. Some triode stages have a lot of gain, while others have very little gain. Why?
Overall, I am sure it was designed for the modern rocker, but for a blues guy like me; a few small parts, a soldering iron, and a Sunday afternoon..... Oooh, the possibilities!

No new clips, but I had time to swap in the warehousespeakers.com fake greenbacks. The difference is dramatic, as large and beneficial a change as I'm hearing from the entire gamut of internal mods. The amp takes much more gain to distort, I can use the bass knob from 2-7, instead of <1.5, the distortion is less fizzy, and the difference between channels has been mitigated, and overall volume has been cut a tad. Before, the neck pickup on my Les Paul Custom was nearly out of control, now, there is a lot of range to use there. I'll capture some intermediary clips of this configuration, and at least swap some tubes tomorrow.

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0527.jpg

It makes noises too.

Anyone check out the v100. Im partial to 2 independent channels and controls. seems like it would be a great live amp. plus 50 or 100 watt switchable.

Fortunately, I managed to retension the ribbon on the mic I did the "Before" clips on. Unfortunately, it was already getting loose during that first session, so it probably won't be an accurate A/B any more. Also, I'll either need to figure out why my laptop is being whiney, or use my desktop recording computer with a different interface. again, more variables...

Back