Gibson Firebird?

Phrasemaker

Hi,

I have been offered a new 2014 Firebird at decent price and as I've never played one I am hoping someone here might give me a few of their insights in respect of this type of guitar. The model I'm looking at has the mini humbuckers, I own an LP and an SG so really I'm wondering if a combination of the pickups and through neck and Firebird body shape is going to offer me something I don't get from the models I mentioned above?

Any thoughts much appreciated

regards

Tim

DV016_Jpg_Large_1382969911413_A.jpg

Really sweet looking guitar, sorry I cant offer advice on the PUPs, beautiful guitar though. Just curious, how much are they asking for that axe?

Make sure you like how it feels on a strap before you buy. They can be neck heavy.

PDP, thank you, yes I also like the look of that guitar a whole lot, I can get a spanking new one, gibson hard case included for £1050 + a few little goodies tossed in for good measure.

JCH, thanks for your input, I appreciate the comment re neck dive bomb, having seen a number if SG's which have neck damage I imagine it to be a similar balance which is not particularly helped by the strap button positioned in the neck heel area. I can live with that as I take it into consideration when using my SG.

I'll get the guitar tomorrow so I will post a couple of pics once I've checked it over.

Many thanks

Tim

The lefties seem pretty hard to come by, I've seen them listed with a few retailers but not seen any showing as in stock, would probably need to be ordered which for many makes it a non option as they like to play before buying.

All the best

Tim

SGs are neck heavy, like Firebirds, but their neck damage is usually because they fall over. Les Pauls have the same problem. They fall and the headstock snaps off. Keep them safe and they'll last forever. I haven't played many Firebirds in my life, but the one's I have I've generally liked them. They're cool and unique and have a nice sound to them most of the time. I say get it!

Being a die hard Johnny winter fan I have always thought firebirds were really cool. As far as playing one...they are neck heavy but sound and play very good.
If you are, like Johnny winter in his firebird days, a rock star and have plenty of stage....they are good for gigging.
If you are, like me, not a rock star and playing little stages in small clubs... A firebird is such a long guitar that you will knock half the equipment and people off the stage everytime you turn around to adjust your amp or look at the drummer.

If you happen to have a surf board handy...strap it on.
You can get a feel for what it's like to strap on a firebird.
:D

Now that johnny winter is playing small clubs instead if arenas...
He's playing that little short guitar with no headstock.
Lol
He probably destroyed half his equipment and injured a few band mates before making the change

I bought one 7 years ago. I've wanted one since I saw Clapton use it in the original Cream movie. Also a Johnny Winter fan.

It's a great guitar. As others have said a little neck heavy and large size but it's manageable. The case looks like it should be housing a Fender Bass.

I installed a set of Lollar Firebird PU's which are a little sweeter than stock. I think it's sounds great...........................like a Tele on steroids.

I bought one 7 years ago. I've wanted one since I saw Clapton use it in the original Cream movie. Also a Johnny Winter fan.

It's a great guitar. As others have said a little neck heavy and large size but it's manageable. The case looks like it should be housing a Fender Bass.

I installed a set of Lollar Firebird PU's which are a little sweeter than stock. I think it's sounds great...........................like a Tele on steroids.

Here is a recording I did with my Firebird:https://soundcloud.com/rossl1234/since-ive-been-loving-you-take

Thanks Greg, I'm probably going to use it mainly as a recording instrument but if I do get to play out with it I'll take a stand and make sure I'm aware of limitations of the space in which I'm playing. Thank you.

Thanks Jimistone, I'm getting a bit mature for leaping around on a stage but it could happen under the right circumstances, though I tend to shuffle about in my own space a little more these days. I play bass a fair amount so shouldn't be any more hazardous than I am with one of those. Thank you.

Nebakanezer, thanks for reading and replying.

Rossl, thanks for your input, I'll see how I go with the stock pickups for now but very useful to read that you've fitted an alternative set and found the results pleasing.
I enjoyed hearing the guitar on your recording, I'll have twang with mine over the next day or so and I'm sure it'll be blues first, thank you.

Well, I now have it and aside from a brief strum and tuning I'm letting it acclimatise for 24 hours then it'll get a thorough playing for a few days before I make some decisions in respect of how it's set up. It is quite big compared to my SG but does not seem quite as prone to neck diving as the SG, possibly due to the larger body. The case is coffin size according to the wife, she stated with a wry grin so I'll be sleeping with one eye open.
The picture doesn't really show the full beauty of the wood, it's actually really well finished with no blemish that I can find.

Well happy with it, many thanks

Tim

Firebird.jpg

Reactions: JCH
Man that thing is a beauty!!!! I forgot, I've heard that Gibson has recently started putting the Steinberger Gearless Tuners on at the factory. The old Gibson version tuners are the only thing I've ever heard negative about Firebirds, and it seems yours is new enough to not worry about that. Congrats!!!!

Congrats, nice purchase I don't think you will regret it.

FYI: When I spoke to Jason Lollar about his firebird pickups he explained they are not standard mini humbuckers. They have a different magnet configuration (I don't remember the details). All I can say is I like them very much.

My guitar feels a little lighter than average. I never weighed it but it has a great responsive tone even when it's not plugged in.

what do you think about the size of that case?

Cheers JCH I did ponder which finish to go for, I am pleased with the choice, thank you.

Thanks Greg, appreciate your comments.

Nebakanezer, yes the gearless tuners are superb and certainly fit the style of the guitar, thank you.

Thank you Ray, yes I have to admit that I'm pretty keen to get some playing done on it, just letting settle to my home conditions and step by step checking the set up. All the best mate.

PDP thank you, all the best.

Rossl, thanks for the info, I noticed mine is more responsive than most of my other guitars, it definitely has a bright sound unplugged, It'll take me a while to see how the pickups are in a variety of playing situations but thus far they seem pretty hot. The case is definitely generating some conversation between the wife and I, it certainly takes up some space. Thank you.

I've been looking at the set up today which to be fair was reasonable apart from being a tiny bit low mostly for the E and A strings at the 7th fret area. I've slackened the truss rod half a turn and adjusted the bridge a very small amount so now I'll live with it for a couple of weeks and give it a really thorough check and set up in small increments if required, though I don't think it'll need it if it stays as it is now.

I got a better picture of the wood today which is below, thanks for all the input from everyone, much appreciated.

All the best

Tim

Firebird1.jpg

Back