Gibson Firebird?

I've had two FB V's in the last couple of years, and as much as I loved the idea of having one, I just couldn't bond with them.

This means nothing because every player is different, and it wasn't that they were sub-par in any way . . . they just didn't have that honky chunk I was after. What I had in my head was a bit more cut and sparkle, but I found them more muffled than I wanted (which surprised me enough to sell the first, but give it another shot when a 2003 Cherry came up for a great price). You can always swap pups of course, but that's another angle altogether.

Anyway . . . bottom line was the mini-bucker sound I had in mind was probably an old LP Deluxe. Had one when I was way younger, and although you can get that honkiness out of it, there's a ton of articulation . . . and a goodly amount of tight snarl on tap with a higher gain setting. Guess 'Birds are a love vs like thing. It's impossible not to like them, but as far as loving it, they just didn't fall into that rating. All just MVVHO . . .

Great guitar. Reversed headstock with longer bass strings is right thing. Original Firebird mini-humbuckers are without pole screws, so impossible to adjust string balance, especially in between 3rd and 4th string. Here is a reason to swap them on adjustable LP or SD mini-humbuckers, or some others. You can try P-90 too (or better - Kinman P-90Nx). Separate nuance is neck through construction - provides perfect sustain and stability. But sound is relatively poor - basic tones are dominating, but not much musical harmonics - it is main problem of almost all neck through guitars, because neck connection to bridge is to direct-straight. But Firebird is monster guitar any way :)

Back