Tascam 388 - Rec Function arming issue + Incredible 388 paint match discovery

Tim Mcphee

Hey guys,

Absolutely new to this forum and just 2 weeks into my love affair with my 388. Absolutely head over heels!
A friend put me onto this forum and I have already discovered a heap of useful insights.. thank ya'll!

I have a couple of minor issues with my unit. Any remedy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1. Right Panning on Channel 2 Monitor section not working. (Left pan fine)
2. Channel 7 will only playback if NOT in REC FUNCTION mode. (Button engaged)

My pal put me onto some Texas Instruments CD4011UBE Chips as a potential remedy for the monitor section playback issue, I sourced them via RS super quick and cheap, mind you, I only needed two and they came in a pack of 10, BUT landed the next day. Anyone here in Australia... happy to post you a couple if in need. Just sing out!

I plan on also reseating all the cards after a clean, ordered in whatever relevant Nichicon Gold caps I could that were available, lots being currently on back order with RS, Mouser & Digi-key.

Picked up a Hand-D-Mag and some replacement lamps for my master VU's also. (Could only find clear lamps but plan to hit them with sandpaper to dull them down)

The issue with Channel 7 only playing back if NOT in record mode. Any tips?

So as I said I'm totally taken by this unit, in fact, it has somewhat become an instant obsession, which leads me to sharing a wonderful discovery made last week. The scrapes and chips on the top of the housing, plus the scratched up Plexi-glass inspired me to drop by my local hobby store (Frontline Hobbies) to find a matching touch-up paint. If any of you have a scratched up unit, take note.

MODEL COLOUR - ACRYLIC COLOURS - PANZER SERIES
70.822 GERMAN C. BLACK BROWN
MADE IN SPAIN

This tube of paint was $4.99AUD and is damn near a perfect match, I grabbed one of their fine point model brushes (2/0 Rotmarder-Kolinsky 3338.2/0-0340 MADE IN GERMANY) and took to my housing. Primarily the top panel above the VU meters.

I'm only sharing this because the results totally exceeded my expectations and also, both the paint and brush were an absolute treat to use. I know where all the scratches were, and here in my studio, I cannot see any marks at all.

Now, the plexi-glass, I tried a couple of products on this, above and beyond was some auto polish I had in the garage applied with a microfibre cloth.

MEGUIAR'S - ULTIMATE COMPOUND - MADE IN USA

I cannot express how satisfying it was to witness this transformation. What was a heavily scratched up surface, came back to a 'near new' finish. The deep amber-brown tones of that plexi really is stunning. Took 3 hits and it is pretty much perfect. Note# elbow grease involved!

Highly recommend both the paint and compound.

I am cracking the 388 open this Saturday 8th May with my Tech. Any suggestions on the above prior to this time would be greatly appreciated. Also, any general service tips that may be able to improve over all sonic quality/noise floor etc I'm all ears.

We'll be re-biassing the machine for LPR35 Mulann Industries Tape.

Cheers!

- Tim

Welcome to the forum and to the 388 club!

Unfortunately, I can't offer any suggestions for your issues (above my paygrade), but there are several here who likely will be able to.

I did want to thank you for your tips on the paint and the polishing compound. I may very well give the paint a try! :)

Thanks mate!

All about the 388 Club. Ha ha! It appears I am not the only one rather taken by the simple pleasures of these fine machines.

All the best with the paint... be sure to pick up a super fine point brush too. The paint is ever so slightly darker that the original but has worked an absolute charm on my console. It could easily be lightened up a little if you picked up some white or grey to mix back. I actually cannot spot the difference unless close-eye inspecting the console within a foot or so. As the original paint has that textured almost speckled finish it's sympathetic to touch-ups.

Have a great day mate and all the best!

- Tim

Back