Folk Metal Instrumental mix and music impressions.

WeeWoo

I wrote this long time ago and decided to re-record a more polished version.

In hindsight I can see several problems: there are no interesting transitions between the melodies, just some generic drum fills, in general programmed drums will never sound as good as the real thing, I did my best to humanize it but it's still synthetic.

There also isn't any common thread or idea between any of the melodies, it just sounds like a bunch of folk songs pieced together, they have nothing in common.

I am also a very bad bass player so get ready to hear some finger squeals

Any way I thought I would share what I learned from writing\recording this piece. Any criticisms, general impressions are greatly appreciated.

I am particularly interested in the guitar tone (I know it's not brutal death metal, it's not suppose to be), and the sound of the overall mix.

Thanks

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6538678

Love the tone on the rhythm guitars...
The melody line #1 is a bit buried (<1:00)
The melody lines thereafter are not quite as buried but still could come forward a bit.
Good job on the bass tone too - I think it's mid-dy tone suits this genre well.
Who would have thought - folk metal - it's going to be the next big thing!!!!!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for the comments ido1957,

I should probably automate the volume on the lead track to bring it out a bit should be easy.

Who would have thought - folk metal - it's going to be the next big thing!!!!!!

hehe yeah, many people think it's a "gimmick" genre, I tend to disagree I enjoy it quite a bit ala Ensiferum, Fintroll, Korpiklaani etc.

sounds like you're using a cheap (free?) amp sim. I'm going to guess Wasp (I'm just guessing because it makes me feel cool when I get it right. I'm wrong most of the time). If not an amp sim, then your amp sort of sounds too "swarm of Bee-ish" for my taste. If in fact you are using Wasp, then there is no avoiding the swarm of bees.

There seems to be quite a bit of timing issues. That can be taken care of by being extremely picky with the takes you keep. Don't be afraid to play a measure at a time if that's what it takes to keep everything synced.

Thanks for the comment, no it's not an amp sim it's a cranked tube amp, so far most people like it and I am happy with it, so I don't want to change it.

There are couple timing issues, they are pretty minor though and so I won't be bothered to fix it, because I have spent too much time on it already.

I have gotten nothing but positive feedback on my tone, so I am very happy with it and definitely wont fix something that aint broke. But everyone has their own idea of what good tone is.

And no it's not an amp sim it's a cranked tube amp close mic'ed.

Blast, I was wrong again. Oh well. Then I take back that comment.

There are some timing issues though. The song is a pretty cool idea though.

Back