Five hunderd bucks for this???

breeeeza said:
Dont worry he's talking about a bedroom full of broken behringer gear off ebay, a lava lamp and a 12 year old kid doing the 'mixdown'
Ah yes...Of course....My bad. :) :cool:

I went to the studios web site. Looks like a cheesey operation, punk ish looking place with writting all over the wall. Now very "pro " to my eyes. But, none the less. I have to assume this was all done very fast. Mix the same day? I think the basic sounds are ok and workable but it needs work on the mix. Very cluttered and no deffinition. I would love to haver been in the room when this stuff was recorded. What was the relationship betweem client and engineer? Was the band looking for a million dollar sound for 100 bucks a song? Maybe the band is very good and the engineer had a hangover. We just dont know. Did the band say it all had to be recorded and mixed in 5 hours? To me it is hard to see where the problem is coming from exactly.

jmorris said:
I went to the studios web site. Looks like a cheesey operation, punk ish looking place with writting all over the wall. Now very "pro " to my eyes. But, none the less. I have to assume this was all done very fast. Mix the same day? I think the basic sounds are ok and workable but it needs work on the mix. Very cluttered and no deffinition. I would love to haver been in the room when this stuff was recorded. What was the relationship betweem client and engineer? Was the band looking for a million dollar sound for 100 bucks a song? Maybe the band is very good and the engineer had a hangover. We just dont know. Did the band say it all had to be recorded and mixed in 5 hours? To me it is hard to see where the problem is coming from exactly.

For 500 bucks....not bad..............if you want better, then pay for it, fine, the vocals were buried, the guitars sound like crap, the drums....well what can I say about the drums. 5 hours, 500 buck...fair deal to me :D

jmorris said:

For 500 bucks....not bad..............if you want better, then pay for it, fine, the vocals were buried, the guitars sound like crap, the drums....well what can I say about the drums. 5 hours, 500 buck...fair deal to me :D

gummblefish said:
I dont like the band either but ultimately its the job of the studio to put something out of quality

It is comments like this that remind me that most of you have never actually worked and/or ran a recording studio for hire!

Ultimately, its the job of the studio to do what the client wants, EVEN if they don't know what they want!

danny.guitar said:
That's if you want to spend $2,000 on a preamp and a multi-effect.

I don't believe you need a $2,000 preamp, expensive monitors, and the highest end gear to get a good mix. I've heard great results with less
You can't get enough gear to make a good CD for 2000 bucks...Unless you're pirating and stealing half your equipment and software. You haven't heard great results for less, you just think you have. One day, you'll realise you haven't. Period.

End of story.

gummblefish said:
Far from it im afraid. Theres alot of things in there that the engineer/producer could be doing. I dont like the band either but ultimately its the job of the studio to put something out of quality

yeah i agree with that .. i think the quality of most things are good .. but it needs to be remixed, the kick is way out of place - lead guitar could come up and out more and i think vocals could also be turned up more

So, what you are saying is that even though maybe the PAYING CUSTOMER wanted things in the mix the way you hear them, the engineer, who is being PAID by THAT CUSTOMER should just disregard what THE CUSTOMER WANTS, and adjust things to the way he thinks it should be?

You guys obviously don't understand thing ONE about running a recording studio!

And by the way, I would estimate that 99% of bands go into the studio SELF PRODUCING!

jpw23 said:

RAMI said:
You can't get enough gear to make a good CD for 2000 bucks...Unless you're pirating and stealing half your equipment and software. You haven't heard great results for less, you just think you have. One day, you'll realise you haven't. Period.

End of story.

A agree completely. The bottom line line is it would be tough to make that band sound good no matter what. Lots of kids today have a "want it now attitude". I've heard many bands playing live and recorded that should have spent much more time woodshedding.

Sounds like a rush job on all accounts. How can you get beyond just guessing though if nobody from the performing or engineering sides are here? Maybe the band sounded so bad in the studio that this is a huge improvement. Maybe the band sounded great, except for the singer being out of tune, and rushed tracking and mixing squashed it. IMO the band should have done ONE song in four or five hours and done it well.

Tim

$500 is nothing. It sounds like the band had a $500 budget and took all but the last $50 for tracking. Leaving the engineer no time to mix it. It happens to me all the time.

Farview said:
$500 is nothing. It sounds like the band had a $500 budget and took all but the last $50 for tracking. Leaving the engineer no time to mix it. It happens to me all the time.

Well obviously you are responsible for all the crap because you charge them money! :rolleyes: You should feel ashamed to put out inferior product out of your studio! LOL ;)

I just find it amazing that people who have never been paid to run recording sessions are very quick to judge the product of those that have! Especially when they have no clue about what actually went down!

Again, I seriously doubt most around here could do even this good with this band, with the same amount of hours to do it in!

Listened a couple more times. The band is sloppy in these takes. That's the biggest problem. The excessively dense wall of guitars mix could still sound good if the band was tight.

Tim

Ford Van said:
Well obviously you are responsible for all the crap because you charge them money! :rolleyes: You should feel ashamed to put out inferior product out of your studio! LOL ;)
When the band sucks, I just give them an accurate representation of what they performed. Trying to tart it up too much will make me look like an idiot. But bands have to realistic about how well they can play and what they sound like.

Timothy Lawler said:
Sounds like a rush job on all accounts. How can you get beyond just guessing though if nobody from the performing or engineering sides are here? Maybe the band sounded so bad in the studio that this is a huge improvement. Maybe the band sounded great, except for the singer being out of tune, and rushed tracking and mixing squashed it. IMO the band should have done ONE song in four or five hours and done it well.

Tim
Good point Tim... one song with a bunch of retakes might have produced better results. Maybe they were trying to record as much as possible within their allotted time, going for quantity, not quality.

ido1957 said:
Maybe they were trying to record as much as possible within their allotted time, going for quantity, not quality.
And ending up with nothing useful.

Tim

jpw23 said:
Then again, thinking about it. With my mobile unit I do a lot of live gigs. total multitrack,24 track, 48 if needed. My rate now is $599.00 for 4 hours complete mixed CD up to 14 songs. If you do some math that is a heck of a lot less expensive than 100 bucks a song. Its like 42 bucks a song and that does not even bring into consideration time invested in setup, teardown and mixing time. Assuming those sample are mixed and are not really going to remixed much, I think its rather poor quality and expensive. Check out my web site and listen to my studio and live stuff at my rate. Maybe Im totally wrong and my stuff sucks and Im over charging :confused:
www.24tracklive.com

Ford Van said:

I just find it amazing that people who have never been paid to run recording sessions are very quick to judge the product of those that have! Especially when they have no clue about what actually went down!

Again, I seriously doubt most around here could do even this good with this band, with the same amount of hours to do it in!
I agree with both this statement and FAIRVEIW'S. As I said in my post we do not know all the details of the session, engineers, band, time frame. Is it fully mixed? I mean is this the final thing?First listen to my ears it is poor,BUT, maybe it was clearly explaoined before this band played a note that it will take time( more than 5 hours) to be presented with a desired result. We dont know.

My god sounds like a monkey mastered these tracks.
I think the tracking was done well on the drums, but not some of the clean guitars.
$500! Rip off. I would mix those 5 songs for $70 and get better results.

Eck

Good points in there.
Yeah alot of the problem is bands not having enough money to get the mix done properly.

Thats why I set up my own company to mix and master recorded tracks for a very reasonable price. I have had very positive feedback from my results. I work with professional tracks and home recording tracks.
I help the home recorders by giving them tips on how to get better sounding tracks so I can get a bettter sounding mix for them.
I am all about quality and take as long as I can to make sure my clients are happy.
This isnt my full time job though, so I do get more time to get the mixes, and masters just right.

www.myspace.com/crystalmixing

Back