First mix bad!!

dogooder

This mix is pretty bad. I started on the second one. This was done about 8 years ago and the vocals were just a scratch track. I was playing and singing at the same time and
not concentrating on keeping up on the mic. I don't think I have it in me anymore to do the vocal track over? On the next mix I will post I have had to compress the vocals quite a bit for them to be acceptable. I have also done a lot panning, eq on different tracks etc. I haven't converted that mix to MP3 yet because I am not done yet. When done I will put it up for suggestions before I make the video for it. I am working on the video now, I can always replace the audio track, this is the one I am using at the moment. I am also going to do the keyboard track over again which is really just a pad for ambience. BBFY stands for bigger, better, younger, faster.

Attachments

• BBYF.mp3
    6.5 MB
This mix is pretty bad. I started on the second one. This was done about 8 years ago and the vocals were just a scratch track. I was playing and singing at the same time and
not concentrating on keeping up on the mic. I don't think I have it in me anymore to do the vocal track over? On the next mix I will post I have had to compress the vocals quite a bit for them to be acceptable. I have also done a lot panning, eq on different tracks etc. I haven't converted that mix to MP3 yet because I am not done yet. When done I will put it up for suggestions before I make the video for it. I am working on the video now, I can always replace the audio track, this is the one I am using at the moment. I am also going to do the keyboard track over again which is really just a pad for ambience. BBFY stands for bigger, better, younger, faster.
Or maybe... Baby You're F*ck'd :P Looking forward to the new mix!

I should add the following to give credit where credit is due.
Jimmy Eppard-bass guitar
Chuck Burdick-percussion
J.Dragon-guitar, vocals, keys, lyrics and music and arrangement.

Lyrics, I know my diction is not up to par and they are another set of lyrics I should have tossed in the can. It is what it is.

Bigger better younger faster

Bigger, Better, Faster, that's how it's sold
Younger,Stronger, Bolder, on and on it goes

Be careful just what you're wishing for
You might not get what you want
Don't forget about the "Monkeys Paw"
Or Sakis "Open Window"

New, Improved, Fresh, nothing old will do
It's Right, Here, Now, all on sale for you

By it now, use it once today
Tomorrow throw it away
Don't worry about where it's going
You really don't want to know

Right, Here, Now, that's all you get
Don't Throw It all away just yet

More, More, and More, when will it ever end
Right, Here, Now, that's all you get my friend.

70 views and one comment. I don't know why I bother?
Maybe a self fulfilling prophesy? Right from the get go, with your post title, you put down your song. Maybe that jinxed it. People had a quick listen and agreed with your assessment but were being cautious and polite and not commenting??

But I wouldn’t stop posting because of this experience.

If you want an honest response - I'll share it. You picked the edit for the clip very badly. I pressed play, and then clicked stop after 4 seconds. I wasn't sure what on earth it was - 4 seconds and I clicked away. Was it a pi55 take, or something horrible sung and out of tune? No idea, but that was as far as I got. Today, I played it again, and after 10 seconds the song is revealed - which I quite liked. I just never got further than the little section I heard first. In the context of the whole song, that little clip has a 'home' - but as the intro it sucks, because it's out of context, and weird. I'd bet many people did the same, and rather than say nice things they don't mean, they decided not to be negative - that's what people here tend to do. Praise things when they were impressed and say nothing when they're not. I think you just got the edit wrong for getting opinions.

Then you did the other thing people here hate - 5 posts in a row - you get a feel for your temper rising and anxst levels, so when people post and post and post you know they're waiting for a response, and getting agitated and people often don't like to post anything other than praise, and if you were going to post to be maybe helpful (like this is meant to be), it's a risk.

This is how I read the entire thing. Sometimes, you have to take silence as a response. Not criticism, note, but sometimes people post lyrics here. I don't get lyrics at all - especially narratives and stories and stuff that is an effort - I simply scan and discard. I don't feel I have any skills in the lyrics area, so can't comment. I'm opinionated - I like forums and I like wherever I can to throw things in that could be helpful. It means you get some pretty nasty stuff back sometimes when people were posting for good news only, but my view is it's a forum and if I post, I take whatever comes back.

Your song isn't bad - now I have listened. No idea what it's about of course as lyrics pass me by. Your error, I think, was just starting with the worst bit of the song exposed, so people like me, listening on a macbook, had to silence it when the music blasted out and my wife turned her head? It was a 'different' part of the song to focus on.

Sometimes - as happens to me - silence means you misjudged something, nothing else. Moaning because nobody commented and "why do I bother' comments doesn't work. Loads of stuff I studied and then taught in college was dull - Communication studies actually had so much sense that 20 years later, turns up on forums all the time. Still a dull subject though.

New Mix
I didn't redo the keys, they sound alright? None of this is done on a computer, it is all outboard ancient equipment. None of the original recording was done
on a computer either.

Attachments

• mix2.mp3
    8.7 MB
Maybe a self fulfilling prophesy? Right from the get go, with your post title, you put down your song. Maybe that jinxed it. People had a quick listen and agreed with your assessment but were being cautious and polite and not commenting??

But I wouldn’t stop posting because of this experience.
I didn't put down the song. I put down the mix, it wasn't very good. When is comes to this I don't need polite. I need the truth, I can handle it lol.

You picked the edit for the clip very badly. I pressed play, and then clicked stop after 4 seconds. I wasn't sure what on earth it was - 4 seconds and I clicked away. Was it a pi55 take, h.
I don't know what you mean by edit for the click? I don't know what pi55 means? Excuse my ignorance. My temper rarely rises and it didn't this time. Just disappointment.
I wasn't aware that people hate five posts in a row. I guess I am now.

Last edited:
My ears are shot after 60 years of RandR and 50 years in machine shops. I have a tendency to up the treble. I also don't have a decent
set of monitors and am doing it with headphones. My left ear is worse than the right. I can't even hear the clock tick if I lay my right ear
on the pillow.

I am listening on small external computer speakers. They usually sound decent. But not reference speakers.

Vocals are not sitting well with the mix. Vocals down and then maybe bring up the mix. I would like more bass and kick and less snare. Maybe EQ the snare into a better sound for the mix, but it is pretty dominant.

I think, this is just a guess, a bit more compression on the master would beef up the sound. At least give it more bottom.

I didn't say edit for the click. I said you have edited it so that it starts with the stranger part, so people click away - Youtube give creators stats for this - as in you need the first bit you hear or see to grab you and prevent you clicking away.

pi55 is a way to type the urine word without saying it - some sites have swear/difficult word filters some don't. taking the pi55 is the British word for 'having a laugh' or 'you can't be serious' - that kind of thing.

Listening to number 2 version makes me realise the song does start with the strange bit. I just couldn't understand the words. When the intro gets repeated it confused me again. On the whole the songs is not bad at all - a bit dull, EQ wise and it's clever.

You managed three posts again in sequence? Why not just edit the first one and add the extra text when you think of it ten minutes later? Nobody had posted, it looks less desperate? In terms of recording - it's not at all bad, just fix the vocals so the words can be heard better.

I didn't say edit for the click.

You managed three posts again in sequence? Why not just edit the first one and add the extra text when you think of it ten minutes later? Nobody had posted, it looks less desperate? In terms of recording - it's not at all bad, just fix the vocals so the words can be heard better.
Once again excuse my ignorance.
"You picked the edit for the clip very badly" What is a clip?
I was responding to three different people, I don't know how to put multiple quotes in one post?
The intro is the intro, I don't know what to tell you about that?
I am not a singer and that was about 8 years ago and it has been downhill ever since. I don't think I could do the vocal over again? They are compressed quite a bit
now as it is.

Last edited:
I am listening on small external computer speakers. They usually sound decent. But not reference speakers.

Vocals are not sitting well with the mix. Vocals down and then maybe bring up the mix. I would like more bass and kick and less snare. Maybe EQ the snare into a better sound for the mix, but it is pretty dominant.

I think, this is just a guess, a bit more compression on the master would beef up the sound. At least give it more bottom.
Thank you. This is what I need real ears for. What do you mean by the master? I have never mastered anything and have no clue how to go about it. I will give your suggestions a shot and remix with that in mind.

Back