FetHead Germanium not working? Or is it me? HELP

cae

I recently purchased a FetHead Germanium inline microphone preamp for use with my Shure SM57 & 58. I am running the mics into my Focusrite Scarlett 214 2nd gen DAW and yes, it has a button to provide 48v of phantom power to the FetHead.

Without the FetHead in the mix, I have to turn the gain almost all of the way up to hear the mics' output (natch). With the Fethead in the mix, I get ... nothing! This is true if I switch ports, switch cables, switch whether the phantom power is on or not, and no matter how much gain I give it. The FetHead Germanium kills, not boosts the signal.

At first I assumed it was a defective unit. Even though I have never used a mic preamp before, online videos and the supplied directions convinced me I was using the item properly. I just received a replacement uint, however, and - same deal, which has me thinking it is something I am doing wrong. But what?

I am incredibly frustrated and am hoping someone here can give me a clue - thanks in advance!

Have you tried different cables in and out of the fethead?

And you are using XLR to XLR from fethead to interface?

Reactions: cae
"And you are using XLR to XLR from fethead to interface?"

- oh, crap. That's it. My mic cable is XLR to .... 1/4". ugh I'm kinda new to home recording and, erm - oh boy is that embarrassing. Almost as embarrassing as me initially not knowing dynamic mics required gain boost. Heh. DERP.

And But Also - THANK YOU! A TON!

Back