Fender GDO-500SE Orchestra Acoustic-Electric Guitar

mcmd

Hi,

I bought this Fender acoustic guitar yesterday from MF and I should have it in about a week. It is a solid wood guitar (cedar top, Ovangkol body) for $399. I think that it is a good deal and it may be just what some people are looking for.

I have had good luck buying electrics from MF and ebay, however this is the first acoustic I have bought without first playing it....fingers crossed.

This appears to be a discontinued model and reviews are positive, with a few exceptions, and if I don't like it then I can return it. I considered this guitar about 5 weeks ago and then it was out of stock...I regretted not taking the plunge!

Yesterday, MF had a scratch 'n dent for about $300...so I jumped right in. Today, I see that they appear to have some stock on clearance.

I have played plenty of acoustics and I currently am using a taylor 410CE (Clearance bargain @CG :)). At that time I really wanted a Taylor 414CE, but the 410 was a steal.

I think that this Fender may get me closer to the smaller body Taylor for a fraction of the price......
Fender.jpg

Link:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-GDO500SE-Orchestra-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=513897

/mcmd

I got one of these in natural earlier this year and it was possibly the worst guitar I've seen in the past thirty years or so. It was absolutely egregious.

To start out, it was very badly water-damaged and moldy, with the somewhat funky case delaminating, stinking of mildew. Many of these Fender acoustics that MF has had on sale since early this year were apparently damaged factory returns and numerous buyers on the forums I frequent received ones with cracks and other fatal defects. Despite having been sold as a new, A-stock product, mine had been returned at least twice previously. It had mold stains in the wood, even.:eek:

Damage aside, this Chinese guitar was not only extremely poorly made, but strangely made, using techniques and materials I have never seen before. It had small frets with pointed ends, the first time I've seen this done on a modern instrument. The binding was absolutely awful, inaccurate and sloppy. The finish was the usual over-thick stuff seen on cheap guitars. The electronic control unit was loose and missing a screw. Etc., etc., etc.

Some of these must be better, but the one I received was fit only for firewood. What Fender was thinking putting an MSRP of nearly a grand on this turnip I can't imagine. I think these may have been "downsourced" -- previously made by Fender's usual contractor, Cor-Tek in Korea, but later farmed out to clueless Chinese production to cut cost with no adjustment to the MSRP.

I'm sure mine was a terrible example, but there were things about it that just didn't inspire confidence in getting a replacement. I went for a refund.

I hope you have better luck!

...update ....to close out this thread....I returned the guitar to MF.

bongolation: ...at first blush the guitar *looked* sweet, however the tone just wasn't there and I found the neck too narrow for my liking. I recorded a few test tracks which had an improved voice and tone. I tried to like this guitar, but in the end I felt that the tone was closer to my $49 Rogue beater....something missing....

BTW.....MF offered my another $50 off to keep it!

.....the good news...

I was trying to find something (cheap) closer to a Taylor x12 series....and as luck would have it I came across a 1996, Taylor 422 maple.... adult owned and *never* played...(the owner never learned to play).... a true closet find....still had the original strings! Kept it is original Taylor SKB case, so that help preserve it....:)

I got a great deal on a guitar I had wanted.....it was a little dry, so it's getting a drink for a couple of days......

I have bought plenty of electric guitars online/retail and ebay without a problem, however I doubt that I will purchase an acoustic again without playing it.

/mcmd

Back