Famous, "stolen" songs???

(Thx dude, but it's not really what I was looking for.)

A REALLY good one here:
The Beatles - Obladi Oblada = The Offspring - Why Don't You Get A Job

Omg, omg. Incredible, it matches perfectly.

Others?

PS: Doesn't smokeS take an S? On your sig...

PPS: The Kinks - All Day And All Of The Night = The Doors - Hello I Love You

Last edited:
Here are a few more that we came up with on another forum:

REM, The one I love = Oasis, What's the story (morning glory)
The riff

Aha, The sun always shines on TV = U2, Beautiful day
Specifically the vocal melody in the choruses

The Smiths, This charming man = Interpol, NYC
The rhythm, especially at the beginning

The one from Aha really ressembles to Beautiful Day. I had the music for some months and never really thought about it lol.

heh, If you want to know where all of that John William movie music from movies likes Jaws and Starwars, listen to Dvorak 9th symphony and Holst's The Planets. (btw the whole Lord of The Rings backround music in the 3rd movie is practically the same as the Dvorak 9 melody in the first movement)

Other then that, in the classical world, considering every possible playable rhythm (I used to know how to spell that word lol) has already been written down so a lot of passages sound like they are stolen from others. Sticking with Dvorak, the first 2 measures of the 3rd movement in his 9th symphony sound just like the whole beethoven 9th symphony first movement.

BTW- is it really stealing if you give the lyrics/melody/rhthym/etc. new/different musical meaning?

Emusic said:
Hard to claim a chord progression. Dont think that is possible. Maybe if its a complete copy of a chordprogression for a whole song, but even then it will be hard to say you are the owner of a progession of chords.

if it were possible to claim chord progressions, imagine trying to claim G, D, C in that order! say good bye to half the worlds rock catalogue, including knockin on heavens door, Live Forever (oasis), and pretty much green day. hmmm

thing is tho, they all did good tunes in their own right that were different enough to be 'unique'.

let the chord stealing commence!!!

Chord progressions are not melody, melody is protected but chords are not.

George Harrison was sued and lost for My Sweet Lord, which is the same as She's So Fine by some girl group. I think (feel free to correct me) that Lennon was sued and lost for the words to "Come Together", seems many of the words came from a Chuck Berry song, although I do not know many Chuck Berry words.

Did anyone else get that hilarious fake news item about 9 months ago where Lars Ulrich (spelling?) of Mettalica was trying to copyright the chords Em Am in succession, because no one else can do them like they can,, that was great, and many people believed it.

Oh, and I wouldn't say the entire song resembles it at all, but has anyone ever noticed that Metallica directly lifted the riff from David Bowie's "Andy Warhol" during the middle section of "Master of Puppets"?

Brahmb said:
Billy Joel copied the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Piano Sonata in C minor (Pathetique) for his chorus "This Night".
Phil Collins remake of "Groovy Kind of Love" (can't remember the original performers) takes it theme right from the Rondo section of a Sonatina (49) by Kohler.
There are many examples, but I think it's a cool way for people to remember the past (though I think I'd better stay away from that topic....it's well covered in The Beatle's thread);)

Classical music is a little different because after the artist has been dead 50 years the copyrights run out and it's fair use....at least that's how I understand it....unless a reletive (meaning spouse, son or daughter )renew's the copyright (I think they can do that), but that will only last like another 25 years or something, and then it's totally fair use.

mook said:
Here are a few more that we came up with on another forum:

REM, The one I love = Oasis, What's the story (morning glory)
The riff

Aha, The sun always shines on TV = U2, Beautiful day
Specifically the vocal melody in the choruses

The Smiths, This charming man = Interpol, NYC
The rhythm, especially at the beginning

The REM song came first, so Oasis, What's the Story (Morning Glory) = REM, The One I Love.

Just a correction. REM wasn't ripping off Oasis it was the other way around.

HornPlayingGuy said:
heh, If you want to know where all of that John William movie music from movies likes Jaws and Starwars, listen to Dvorak 9th symphony and Holst's The Planets. (btw the whole Lord of The Rings backround music in the 3rd movie is practically the same as the Dvorak 9 melody in the first movement)

Other then that, in the classical world, considering every possible playable rhythm (I used to know how to spell that word lol) has already been written down so a lot of passages sound like they are stolen from others. Sticking with Dvorak, the first 2 measures of the 3rd movement in his 9th symphony sound just like the whole beethoven 9th symphony first movement.

BTW- is it really stealing if you give the lyrics/melody/rhthym/etc. new/different musical meaning?

I'm sorry I'm posting so much but I'm just reading this posting now. If you watch the 3rd Lord of the Rings, the music is exactly the same as the music in Requeim for a Dream! One of the musical parts anyway. I saw it on the commercial when LOTR 3 was coming out and I just heard the music and it's the same as RFAD! Funny stuff. A heroin movie, and a fantasy movie using the same music.

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but don't forget the Beatles "Because" is the Moonlight Sonata backwards.

I love this thread.

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's gone = Eric Clapton - Wonderful tonight.

More?

REM wasn't ripping off Oasis it was the other way around.

Wakeupbomb - thx for clearing that up :confused:

Would any other helpful posters be able to tell me whether the Smiths came before or after Interpol?

mook said:
Wakeupbomb - thx for clearing that up :confused:

Would any other helpful posters be able to tell me whether the Smiths came before or after Interpol?

Inrepol rock man, who are The Smiths?

....Only joking!

Interpol rock man, who are The Smiths?

I think from now on we can refer all such queries to wakeupbomb, who has generously offered to act as the official rock music historian on this board. :)

p.s. Interpol are marvellous

Back