Engineering/DIY Question for builders

I think it would be fun to try to build a microphone capsule using only crap lying around the house. Start with a stack of round refrigerator magnets. Attach them to the center of a sheet of saran wrap. Curl the edges around an old toilet seat. You see where I'm going with this....

What sort of science are we talking about here?

There are certainly principles used by the originators on say, the M7.

Well yeah, you need to figure two things: 1) diaphragm dumping, which depends on the blind hole size and depth and determines flattness of the response, and 2) acoustical labyrinth parameters, which besides affecting the dumping also determine pattern control tightness. Very often those two contradict each other...

In API Microphone Handbook there is a math for simple stiffness controlled omni capsules. Even for such a simple and straightforward system the math is... say, not for a usual sane people, and has rather academic interest.
AFAIK, all the studio condenser capsules were made empirically, starting with a rough estimate, and then painstakingly micron by micron changing parameters and evaluating until getting the things right, both freq. response and pattern.

Every micron is of essense, so besides lots of patience you need high precision machinery. My lathe has digital readout system with 1 micron resolution. I spent about 3 full weeks just for setting it up, alone. To reduce vibrations it is bolted to a huge concrete pedestal table and the motor mounted separately (also bolted to the table, not to the lathe). They only interact through a special chain belt, which additionally reduces vibrations. The motor puley is machined right in the system, to reduce runout.
Everything is tight, parallel, and perpendicular with high precision, using Mitutoyo 1 micron resolution dials. I am still working on it.

Then you will need some means to measure freq. response...

Best, M

Well yeah, you need to figure two things: 1) diaphragm dumping, which depends on the blind hole size and depth and determines flattness of the response, and 2) acoustical labyrinth parameters, which besides affecting the dumping also determine pattern control tightness. Very often those two contradict each other...

In API Microphone Handbook there is a math for simple stiffness controlled omni capsules. Even for such a simple and straightforward system the math is... say, not for a usual sane people, and has rather academic interest.
AFAIK, all the studio condenser capsules were made empirically, starting with a rough estimate, and then painstakingly micron by micron changing parameters and evaluating until getting the things right, both freq. response and pattern.

Every micron is of essense, so besides lots of patience you need high precision machinery. My lathe has digital readout system with 1 micron resolution. I spent about 3 full weeks just for setting it up, alone. To reduce vibrations it is bolted to a huge concrete pedestal table and the motor mounted separately (also bolted to the table, not to the lathe). They only interact through a special chain belt, which additionally reduces vibrations. The motor puley is machined right in the system, to reduce runout.
Everything is tight, parallel, and perpendicular with high precision, using Mitutoyo 1 micron resolution dials. I am still working on it.

Then you will need some means to measure freq. response...

Best, M

So, essentially what you're saying is that I need to buy a CNC milling machine , a gold vapor depositor, mylar, concrete and a yard full of brass.:D

I think I'll make something with a Thiersch capsule.;)

So, essentially what you're saying is that I need to buy a CNC milling machine , a gold vapor depositor, mylar, concrete and a yard full of brass.:D

Well... considering (as I assume) you still did not come up with a design, I'd start with that part, first ;), but essentially yes :D.

I think I'll make something with a Thiersch capsule.;)

Supposedly, that should be an excellent choice. At the moment I have his PVC M7 on my bench to evaluate.

Best, M

Well... considering (as I assume) you still did not come up with a design, I'd start with that part, first ;), but essentially yes :D.

I have designs in my head and on paper, but no way of know weather they would work or not. Plus I have a regular job that in the last 5 months has eaten up ALL my time. This is a hobby.

Supposedly, that should be an excellent choice. At the moment I have his PVC M7 on my bench to evaluate.

Best, M

I have one of his PET M7s. It sounds amazing.

I like the comparison Martin Kantola did with a few other makes vs. Neumann in the same U47.

I have one of his PET M7s. It sounds amazing.

I like the comparison Martin Kantola did with a few other makes vs. Neumann in the same U47.

So, the question is, do you want yet another mic with M7/K47, or you want something new? For example, there are only very few mics with CK12, esp. old brass style. Together with different tube/transformer combination that would be quite unique.

Best, M

Last edited:
To add a little more info to this thread,

And Dale Ulan makes an excellent M7 capsule. You can find more info here http://www.10000cows.com/

[Moderator Note: Sorry Tim, no posting advertisements for your own products. I will leave the other link up as it appears to not belong to you and the vacuum evaporator project is simply amazing. Thanks for your understanding.]

Last edited by a moderator:
[Moderator Note: Sorry Tim, no posting advertisements for your own products.]

That's right, but I think it is OK if I do it :):

http://www.timcampbell.dk/index2b.htm

Here you can see people reaction to Tim's capsule:
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=33602.0

You also could do a search for Tim's capsules on Klaus forum, where they are highly praised.

Besides Dale's M7 don't forget its PVC version made by Tschiersh, which I had and which is as close to the original M7 as it can be (Peluso K47 version is not even close, and has quite a different sound). I think all those capsules are the biggest bargains of the century, as opposed to their Chinese "clones".

Best, M

I will post praise for Tim!

He has found a modern way to reproduce a product that would be virtually impossible (if not financially restricting) to produce by old standards, and his quality is very high from what I have personally seen. Not yet heard, mind you, but the quality of what I observed is first rate!

As Marik mentioned, the online praise speaks for itself.

I have one of his capsules on order! I'll bet it is leaps and bounds above any other "clone" that only looks similar on the outside!

Haha-- Tim is one of my oldest friend's (who is also named Tim) uncles. IIRC he also designed the bird inlays for PRS guitars

Back