Eclipse of My Mind

R

RAMI

Hey fuckers and fuckettes,

Here's a new one I need ears for. Finished it last night. As always, the same disclaimer :"I probably should have let it sit before posting, etc......".

I'm not sure if the octave vocals woks in the verses. I'm not sure if the other vocal part fits, etc...I have a few choices and I chose to approach it this way. But I might go back and re-track the vocals if what I'm doing doesn't quite work. I hate my own voice, like most other people hate theirs, so I'm never sure how well they do and don't work.

Thanx in advance for any advice and comments.

ECLIPSE OF MY MIND

Eclipse of My Mind (words and music by RAMI)

Lucy climbed a mountain kissed the sky with diamonds falling
Over me again tripping on a cloud and now I feel I'm
Coming down coming down like a war that's over
Jumping off a mountain and I flew again
Truth is nothing ever will be true again
Walking wide asleep before I woke up from this total eclipse of my mind

Leave me or believe me dreamed the war of all the worlds is falling
Over me again sweating blood and tears and now I feel I'm
Coming down coming down feel the worst is over
Flying off a mountain and I'm free again
So unreal that nothing will be real again
Walking wide asleep before I woke up from this total eclipse of my mind

Flying off a mountain and I'm free again
So unreal that nothing will be real again
I think I thought I knew before I woke up from this total eclipse of my mind

Last edited:
Doesn't sound like any vocals need to be re-tracked to me. Sounds like it's right. Tight and smooth. Nothing sticking out too much :thumbs up:

Doesn't sound like any vocals need to be re-tracked to me. Sounds like it's right. Tight and smooth. Nothing sticking out too much :thumbs up:

Really? OK that's good to know. I was a little insecure about the falsetto doubled with the low voice part. Thought it might be a little wimpy. And then I thought the "full" vocal part might have been a little too aggressive compared. It's so hard to judge our own voices. I stand behind everything I do musically and on a writing level. But I don't think I'll ever be 100% confident about a vocal track until people tell me it's ok. Thanx man.

Vocals are fine, including the octave thing.
During the 'verse' lines (first 3 in each stanza), the guitar that is doing little lead lines to the right is interfering a little with the vocal, ducking it just a bit (more?) when the singing is happening would do it.

Last edited:
Vocals are fine, including the octave thing.
During the 'verse' lines (first 3 in each stanza), the guitar that is doing little elad lines to the right is interfering a little with the vocal, ducking it just a bit (more?) when the singing is happening would do it.
Ah ok, I'll take a listen for that. Funny thing is, I think I turned that guitar up as a very last minute decision just before rendering. I guess I should have left it alone. I'm glad you mentioned it, thanx. :cool:

Really? OK that's good to know. I was a little insecure about the falsetto doubled with the low voice part. Thought it might be a little wimpy. And then I thought the "full" vocal part might have been a little too aggressive compared. It's so hard to judge our own voices. I stand behind everything I do musically and on a writing level. But I don't think I'll ever be 100% confident about a vocal track until people tell me it's ok. Thanx man.

All good. We can be meaner to ourselves than our worst critics, although I have had run-ins with some REALLY mean trolls on the internet lol.

All good. We can be meaner to ourselves than our worst critics, although I have had run-ins with some REALLY mean trolls on the internet lol.
Yeah. Weird thing is, the people that have probably helped me improve the most were trolls and assholes, because they don't hold back when they think something sucks. I don't mean the guy that tells you your music sucks just because you hurt his feelings in an argument or called him out for spreading mis-information. That's just lame.
I'm talking about like one time a few years ago, there was someone who kept posting his tunes, had about 10 posts and they were all in his threads. So, I told him that he'd get more responses if he also commented on other people's tunes. So, he made some smart-ass remark and told me to mind my own business or whatever. But then he listened to a tune of mine and posted that the guitars were thin, the snare was too loud, and whatever else he thought was shit. I knew he was being a jerk, but I also said to myself "You know what? He's right. This is the best help I've gotten here in a long time", because most of the other comments were about all the positives and how it sounded good, etc....This guy made me really listen to my mix and realize that the guitars WERE thin, the snare WAS too loud, etc......

So, I guess the moral is.......Sometimes assholes are a necessary part of the internet food chain. :D

Very nice RAMI. I love the Egytian-ish feel of the guitar intro. (That's what I get from it anyway)

The verses sound fine to me. Sometimes it sounds like one voice so it blends very nicely to the two vocals.

Big :thumbs up: from me. Really enjoyed it!

Sometimes it sounds like one voice so it blends very nicely to the two vocals.

Big :thumbs up: from me. Really enjoyed it!
Thanx a lot, Clean. That's pretty cool because that part is actually 4 tracks, 4 separate performances. The low part and the high part, each doubled. Thanx a lot for the listen. :)

This sounds great RAMI! But then, I always love your music--it's the whole package: writing, performance and recording. They're all spot on.

Very psychedelic lyrics.
Made me expect some reverse reverb which did come along
so psych expectations met!
I love the way you've followed bits of the melody with the bass & percussion - the old Keef Moon flourishes.
I don't hear anything that is of concern or in need of tweaking.
It's just COOL.

Very psychedelic lyrics.
Made me expect some reverse reverb which did come along
so psych expectations met!
I love the way you've followed bits of the melody with the bass & percussion - the old Keef Moon flourishes.
I don't hear anything that is of concern or in need of tweaking.
It's just COOL.

Cool, thanx a lot Ray. Yeah, some faux-psychedelia going on there. I even brought Lucy into it. :D

Yeah. Weird thing is, the people that have probably helped me improve the most were trolls and assholes, because they don't hold back when they think something sucks. I don't mean the guy that tells you your music sucks just because you hurt his feelings in an argument or called him out for spreading mis-information. That's just lame.
I'm talking about like one time a few years ago, there was someone who kept posting his tunes, had about 10 posts and they were all in his threads. So, I told him that he'd get more responses if he also commented on other people's tunes. So, he made some smart-ass remark and told me to mind my own business or whatever. But then he listened to a tune of mine and posted that the guitars were thin, the snare was too loud, and whatever else he thought was shit. I knew he was being a jerk, but I also said to myself "You know what? He's right. This is the best help I've gotten here in a long time", because most of the other comments were about all the positives and how it sounded good, etc....This guy made me really listen to my mix and realize that the guitars WERE thin, the snare WAS too loud, etc......

So, I guess the moral is.......Sometimes assholes are a necessary part of the internet food chain. :D

I expect some sort of criticism. I've though about quitting making music and not because of what people have said, but because of the endless frustration that comes with it. That one dude you're talking about is a total child. I would never let a straight troll have any effect on me though. That's the point of trolling trying to get a rise out of someone. I have met some real A-holes that say what ever they can to bring someone down LOL. True Trolls :D

I expect some sort of criticism. I've though about quitting making music and not because of what people have said, but because of the endless frustration that comes with it. That one dude you're talking about is a total child. I would never let a straight troll have any effect on me though. That's the point of trolling trying to get a rise out of someone. I have met some real A-holes that say what ever they can to bring someone down LOL. True Trolls :D

For sure. But if I can use it to my advantage, I will. I'm not saying that I take every comment seriously. I'll often listen to someone's recordings after they've commented on mine, whether they were complimentary or not. Most of the time, just listening to their stuff tells me how seriously I should or shouldn't take their comments....usually, it's shouldn't.

Once in a while, I see one of my threads from a few years ago in the "Similar Threads" at the the bottom of the page. I'll read the thread and see how many "That sounds awesome" comments there are. But I know that this 5, 6 or 7 year old recording did not sound "awesome", not even close. So, I often wonder what I'll think about my current recordings in a few years.

We have a lot of people patting each other on the back around here, when being honest would be a lot more helpful. I hear some people's tunes and the complimentary comments are just so ridiculous. I'm not saying people have to be negative. But telling someone their skills are awesome when the proof in the pudding so blatantly says other wise isn't helpful at all. It gives a lot of mediocre talents the false impression that they're better than they are. Like I said, when I go back and read some older threads of mine, I wish people weren't so "nice", because it didn't help me in the long run. That troll being an asshole was a lot more helpful. :)

Ok, had a chance to listen. It amazes me how your shit sounds good everywhere. In my studio, in my house, on my car, on my phone.
Also you get your levels real good compared with commercial releases.

I have noticed though when importing one of your tracks into reaper, it will clip when at unity. I always pull the fader down from zero to keep it out of the red.

That being said, your stuff sounds good.

Ok now that I'm done and have a brown nose, here's my comments on this track.

Bass. Great
Drums. Fabulous
Overall mix. Excellent.
Vocals. Very good....except,
The verse is a bit low. Snare is hotter than the vocal. Just in the verse. The rest is good. Maybe this is by design, or unintended.

Guitars. Driving me nuts. It seems in every tune I hear that 'cocked wah' tone.

I've mentioned it before, and you've said it's just your technique, that there is nothing in the chain creating that tone.
But it does distinctly sound like a cocked wah.
Now this could be good as a distinctive Rami signature sound. It does sound good, but every song has it. If it is your technique, and you can't help getting that sound, that may need adressing.

But that's just me

Ok, enough nits. Back to butt kissing. :-)

You get all your stuff clean, loud, and balanced real well, while retaining the dynamics. Geat job.
Got another one for my Rami bootleg album.
:D

Ok, had a chance to listen. It amazes me how your shit sounds good everywhere. In my studio, in my house, on my car, on my phone.
Also you get your levels real good compared with commercial releases.
Thanx a lot, man. I manage to get my tunes up to about -12.5 RMS. That's what I shoot for. I think that's pretty close to commercial levels, though I'm sure some pro-released tunes are in the -10 or higher range. But that's when shit starts sounding ridiculous to me.

I have noticed though when importing one of your tracks into reaper, it will clip when at unity. I always pull the fader down from zero to keep it out of the red.
That happens to any MP3. My tunes peak at -.3, but I've noticed that any MP3 I put in REAPER will always clip higher than zero. I'm sure there's an explanation for it, which is beyond my knowledge.

Vocals. Very good....except,
The verse is a bit low. Snare is hotter than the vocal. Just in the verse. The rest is good. Maybe this is by design, or unintended.
OK thanx. Not really intended. It's probably my insecurity that causes that to happen. I convince myself my vocals are too loud when they might not be. I'll look into fixing the verses. Thanx

Guitars. Driving me nuts. It seems in every tune I hear that 'cocked wah' tone.

I've mentioned it before, and you've said it's just your technique, that there is nothing in the chain creating that tone.
But it does distinctly sound like a cocked wah.
Now this could be good as a distinctive Rami signature sound. It does sound good, but every song has it. If it is your technique, and you can't help getting that sound, that may need adressing.
Well, it might be partly the way I'm playing...BUT......in this particular tune, there IS a cocked wah in that "Arabic" riff definitely. This time it's deliberate. :D

Got another one for my Rami bootleg album.
:D
Let's start a record company!!!!!!! :D

I guess the vocal thing comes from being drunmer first. I particularly noticed as I turned down the volume. Snare was cracking, voc was dissappearing. :D

On the guitar, dont get me wrong, it sounds great for this tune. I just brought it up cause i hear that in other tunes.

Maybe the mp3 thing does it's own compression/limiting? I dunno. Perplexes me.

Bottom line, the shit sounds good.
:thumbs up:

Record label? Who we gonna release? I'm going to do a release of stuff you've heard. The Billy Desmond stuff. He already has one record out and tours all over. This is the "unreleased live sessions".

Soon I'll put up some of my own stuff you can tear apart. :D

I do. I buy cds all the time. That and vinyl. If i like it and it's in a physical format, I'll buy it.
And if you put out a physical cd, I'll buy that too. But only if the rubber dummy man is on the cover. :D

Back