Dynamic ($400) vs Condensor ($400)

If you don't have a good room, condensors can be problematic as they tend to pick up everything and flaws become more apparent.

There are lots of excellent dynamic mics available. Depending on the voice and the kind of music, a dynamic may be preferable. The SM7 was the preferred vocal mic for the last two recording projects I was associated with, even though a Groove Tubes MD3, AT4050, Gefell M582h, Beyer M834 and Audix VX-10 were auditioned. Each of those condensors cost more (sometimes substantially more) than the SM7, but the SM7 was selected.

daav said:
Gotta agree with this (sorry I edited some out of the quote for clarity)
I picked up a RE27 used for $225 and for my tame room, it makes me sound like i know what i am doing. Condensors need me to pack pillows around my computer, vocals going into the closet, and the pads go on half the time for the same kinds of results (that said i do not have any $400 condensors to compare to, but my Oktava 319 is still a pretty good sounding mic, after i do everything humanly possible to remove the room).

Daav

Hey, there's a reason that I often jump to my RE27. I love my U87, and my R0des (believe it or not... although I never got the Chinese-made ones, which may explain my happiness with them), but whenever I am in a situation when the recording environment is poor, the EV mic comes out sounding awesome.

I'm prepping to pick up another high-end mic (probably the UMT800) in a few weeks, but yeah, for the $ you'll have a hard time finding a mic that's more durable and sounds as nice in noisy environments as the 20/27 mics.

Speaking of which, I just got to use them on a UA tube preamp and it REALLY sounded nice. Full of character and plenty of gain for vocals. :D

For crisp vocals buy a 1" large Condenser Mic. (MXL, Behringer, AKG, Rode, Sterling, CAD,
Neumann, Audiio Technica, Shure KM series, PPA, Blue, etc.)

Just make sure to set your inputs (signal) at 100%-102% on your Meter (VU or LED) and
stay about 1-2 feet from your Condenser Mic (and make sure to address the proper side
of the Mic in the first place). Also use either a Pop Filter or a Filter Screen when recording
Vocals and go for it. You will get incredible clear crisp Vocals back in your mix which will be
extremely clear and loud. Go with a good Condenser vs. a dynamic vocal mic because you will
be able to use the Condenser more satisfactorily for more different applications over time with
an acceptable volume in your Mix to be able to adjust especially for instruments that have subtle
volumes such as tambourines, castanets, and Bongos (for example).

for your price range the SM7b is by far and away the best option you have.
the condensors you'll be looking at will be fine and flattering but will pick the room and the neighbours et cetera. If you want a coloured sound go for a condensor, if you want the best vocal mic for your budget go for an SM7b.

(obviously Chessrock said this about 20 posts ago and that should have ended the thread)

For crisp vocals buy a 1" large Condenser Mic. (MXL, Behringer, AKG, Rode, Sterling, CAD,

Just make sure to set your inputs (signal) at 100%-102% on your Meter (VU or LED) and
stay about 1-2 feet from your Condenser Mic (and make sure to address the proper side
of the Mic in the first place). Also use either a Pop Filter or a Filter Screen when recording
Vocals and go for it. You will get incredible clear crisp Vocals back in your mix which will be
extremely clear and loud. Go with a good Condenser vs. a dynamic vocal mic because you will
be able to use the Condenser more satisfactorily for more different applications over time with
an acceptable volume in your Mix to be able to adjust especially for instruments that have subtle
The type of mic that suits your voice, and the exact placement that will get the best sound from it depends on your voice. It'll vary a lot from person to person. A dynamic mic might end up working better for some. BTW, large diaphragm condensers vary tremendously in their characteristics.

Worst advice I've seen in a while, If your room isn't perfect and you sing two feet away from the mic you are screwed no matter what mic you use. Grab an SM7 and thank me later

KJ09, I have read all of your posts; you are purposely posting bumping old threads and then giving bad advice that is often contradictory or simply nonsense.

You have two choices:

- stop posting nonsense

- get banned

Back