Dumb Mac question

Well despite being not very useful, it was at least entertaining. :-)
Surprisingly, that is the ONLY Apple product that I have ever owned, and I bought it used. I had TI, Atari, Atari ST and then moved to PC, and have been there ever since. For phones, I refuse to spend $500-$1000 on a I-phone. My Samsung Android cost me about $100 and does 5G and has 64GB + 128GB micro SD for storage.

Reactions: RFR
I’ve just had a look on my iPhone. Using files, it shows me what’s on the phone, the cloud and services I didn’t know I had on line, and the files are there. Oddly, a wav looks the same as an mp3? The little blue triangle. Get info reveals what it is. Wav or mp3 is not shown in the list. I can then play it, or send it to other devices or email it.

what do you want to do that you can’t? Equally, I can plug my phone into the PC and do stuff there? I’m lost as to what is the thing that doesn’t work?

EDIT, I didn’t notice, but my phone opened GarageBand, which I didn’t even know I had, to show me all these files. Neat!

Last edited:
I’ve just had a look on my iPhone. Using files, it shows me what’s on the phone, the cloud and services I didn’t know I had on line, and the files are there. Oddly, a wav looks the same as an mp3? The little blue triangle. Get info reveals what it is. Wav or mp3 is not shown in the list. I can then play it, or send it to other devices or email it.

what do you want to do that you can’t? Equally, I can plug my phone into the PC and do stuff there? I’m lost as to what is the thing that doesn’t work?

EDIT, I didn’t notice, but my phone opened GarageBand, which I didn’t even know I had, to show me all these files. Neat!
I just want to put WAV files of my mixes (done on a PC ) onto my phone to be able to listen to them in my car, home stereo system, listen on the phone with earbuds, be able to upload to SoundCloud, ect.

When I open files it shows nothing except garage band (which I never use) and I have zero items in the folders.

I just want to put WAV files of my mixes (done on a PC ) onto my phone to be able to listen to them in my car, home stereo system, listen on the phone with earbuds, be able to upload to SoundCloud, ect.

When I open files it shows nothing except garage band (which I never use) and I have zero items in the folders.
That’s really a job for apple music...Syncing with the iPhone.

Did u drag and drop those wavs to the icloud drive folder on the mac mini?

That’s really a job for apple music...Syncing with the iPhone.

Did u drag and drop those wavs to the icloud drive folder on the mac mini?

No I put the files on my android from my pc. Simple drag and drop operation. The phone is recognized as an external hard drive. Easy.

Then when I got the iPhone they transferred all the data from the android to the iPhone.

All contacts, pics, & videos transferred but no wavs or pdf data made it into the new phone. Or at least somewhere they can be found.

No I put the files on my android from my pc. Simple drag and drop operation. The phone is recognized as an external hard drive. Easy.

Then when I got the iPhone they transferred all the data from the android to the iPhone.

All contacts, pics, & videos transferred but no wavs or pdf data made it into the new phone. Or at least somewhere they can be found.
It will not transfer the wavs because there is no equivalent on the iphone. You sync with itunes or apple music for music files. There is no music player on the iphone aside from itunes/apple music. U cannot send people music from itunes/apple music. It’s locked down so u cannot share music u buy with people.

I know these are ur wavs but the whole music ecosystem on the iphone is dominated and controlled by itunes/apple music. U could play a single file, or share a single file using the files/icloud drive but u don’t want that. You don’t want to keep reaching for your phone in your car.

Itunes/apple music is your best option.

Send them to your phone - I've just tried a few ways and email seems to work the simplest, then when it is on your phone, save it and it asks which folder you want it in.

Send them to your phone - I've just tried a few ways and email seems to work the simplest, then when it is on your phone, save it and it asks which folder you want it in.

Can’t send them to my phone.

My music computers never go online. Why?

Well, I’m running windows 7 and protools ten. I never have to deal with the hassles of upgrading and the havoc that can cause.

Plus I get no malware ever.

PT 10 and windows 7 just work.

Honestly @RFR, I don't know what you're doing, but you're doing something wrong. As Rob says, playing WAV files is built in, and has been for some time. Now, Apple has switched from iTunes to Apple Music, which does want you to basically buy a streaming service, like Spotify, but you can still use it to store and play your audio files. There's simply no reason why the files will not show up, in my experience, which is about 10 years, starting with High Sierra Mac OS.

You should not need the cloud to import your files into the Mac. Put them on an external drive, formatted FAT32, to remove any NTFS file attributes/ownership. Plug that into your Mac and you should see exactly the same file structure and files on the Mac that you saw on your Windows PC.

Then, open the Music (nee iTunes) app. The default for importing music will convert your WAV files to AAC (a "lossy" format, but arguably better than MP3). I use 320kbps, but if you want, you can preserve the lossless file by choosing the Settings menu item from the app name (top menu) drop-down, go to Files, and open the Import Settings dialog. You can choose the default AAC, or anything you want, including WAV! Since you have WAV files, there's no metadata embedded in those files, so you'll have to manually enter that information (which is why I use AAC these days - my ears cannot hear the difference for casual listening).

Once you have your stuff in the Music app, you can plug your iPhone into the Mac (using a USB to lightening cable - borrowed from the iPhone charger if you don't have another one), and "sync" the library to the phone, where you can listen to everything via earbuds/airpods/bluetooth/CarPlay and most any other method. The phone will not work as a USB drive, however.

I made my living for a couple decades+ working on Windows ("Wintel") systems but started fooling around with Macs around 2012, and switched completely over 5 years ago. Apple aggravates me, and it's not all roses, but I'll take the UI and decluttered workflows any day.

Thanks for trying to help

But this is frustrating as all hell.

PC to android is simple.

I’m giving this all a break, and I’ll re-read all the posts. I’ll with come back with a success or an announcement that I’ve smashed my iPhone :LOL:

Thanks one and all for your help.

You must be doing something wrong, just email one wav to yourself, and tap on it. I’m certain it works. I did it on mine last night to double check. Searching for that on the music app plays it. I did it in bed, and usually have my gone on charge downstairs. Not only did it play, it played through my TV which my phone must have identified and connected to.

I’m done. I know you’re all trying to help and it seems you’ve cracked the Apple code. But I think the whole system is insane. I have to jump through all these hoops? Email this, sign up for this app, etc. and how am I going to email a wav file from a computer that stays offline???? And what’s this music app you speak of. Does that need to be downloaded and paid for from the App Store?

What is so damn simple on an android device is so complicated with Apple.

I realize I haven’t cracked the Apple code, but their system is bullshit. It seems like I’m starting to get gaslighted into me being stupid, when it’s their system that’s stupid.

And what’s this bullshit with no headphone jacks? That’s your link to the analog world. Plug into your stereo and play your mixes at home.

Anyway I’m done. Goodnight.

Last edited:
Honestly I'd either just revert back to the phone you know since that set up works for you,
or take the 'risk' of letting your windows box online and use that for uploading to soundcloud etc.

For having music on your phone to listen to that's simple - You just sync Music.app (MacOs) or iTunes (Windows) library to your phone each time you add something new to the music library.
You might even be able to drag+drop directly to the phone without a sync...not 100% sure but either way it's pretty simple.

I never really understood the 'keeping it offline' thing but, for me, that's the thing that's complicating matters here.
If you remove that restriction there's really no problem.

If you can't, or won't, then android ftw. (y)

Well - you could buy a USB to iPhone adaptor and stick in an SD card, or just plug in a cable - I can put files onto my phone with a cable.

I'm not being funny, or having a go - but you are creating issues that really are trivial. The not connect to the internet thing suggests an element of fear? In the past year, I've had thousands of files scrambled by a ransomeware attack, computers dying, replacements sourced and others unable to update - it's just how it is.

Being internet xenphobic limits music production really badly. All the people with loops, samples, synths, online updates, new purchases, online licensing, freebies of all kinds and downloading music, midi files - the list goes on. all denied without internet access. None of my own personal and business activities can be done without internet - my VAT return is online, my accounts are online, my payments to suppliers and purchases all done online.

Headphones with 3.5mm plugs are getting more and more unpopular. Bluetooth is everywhere. Apple cater for the mass market - if you want headphones to be plugged in, buy an adaptor. What kind of music technology can be done without the internet? So many opportunities unavailable, and how exactly do you get your music out there? People are consuming music online, with CDs and DVDs just fading away, so you need to get the music out there, and that needs the internet.

You might get a virus, you might get your accounts hacked and you can just mess up. Deal with it, make sure you backup and housekeep and get on with it.

Well, I DO appreciate everyone’s input.

Admittedly I’m not as tech savvy as most of you, and the Apple eco system is one that’s quite new to me and confusing.

As I said before I’ll just re-read al the responses. There’s a lot to unpack for a Luddite like me.

Please excuse any frustrations I’ve vented.

Since I have so many Apple devices, I guess I’ll have to learn them.

:-)

@RFR, nobody is trying to "gaslight" you - just trying to help. Yes, you need to take a few deep breaths and go back and read some of the posts. A lot of the consternation has to do with Apple's terminology/naming, defaults, and the switch from iTunes to "Music" where they really want you to sign up for a service, but it's not required, though I've gotten comfortable with it, since I got a few free months with the AirPods I got last Xmas, and tried it as a replacement for Spotify. The fact that it integrates with an app I was already using (i.e., iTunes/Music) is actually a plus for me, but not everyone. Different strokes and all...

Also, there's a lightning to 3.5mm adapter you can get for a couple bucks, and Apple also included (IIRC) wired earbuds with just the lightning connector. I'll send you one or the other if you PM me your address.

The annoying thing is that those who have lots of apple products tend to really like them, but we hate Apple! The through the nose crazy pricing, the dodgy dealings in the shops, so called genius staff who never do anything out front, always in the back, in private. If you look well off, then it's a write off kind of stuff, buy a new one. The trouble is the products do work really well and kind of protect you from things that go wrong - so it IS annoying when you want to deal with files, as oposed to just the name of a tune. The mini mac I bought recently - compared to windows setup - it was just so easy. It went off and found my network, the wifi, even the passwords and favourites I had on another product. Windows asks many questions, that beginners (or people like my technophobe wife) don't understand, She just had to get a new iphone, and went up a few models but turning it on, it just wanted her old one nearby, and it did everything itself - the new phone then just worked like the old one, but without the cracked screen. This is the joy/hatred of Apple.

@RFR, nobody is trying to "gaslight" you - just trying to help. Yes, you need to take a few deep breaths and go back and read some of the posts. A lot of the consternation has to do with Apple's terminology/naming, defaults, and the switch from iTunes to "Music" where they really want you to sign up for a service, but it's not required, though I've gotten comfortable with it, since I got a few free months with the AirPods I got last Xmas, and tried it as a replacement for Spotify. The fact that it integrates with an app I was already using (i.e., iTunes/Music) is actually a plus for me, but not everyone. Different strokes and all...

Also, there's a lightning to 3.5mm adapter you can get for a couple bucks, and Apple also included (IIRC) wired earbuds with just the lightning connector. I'll send you one or the other if you PM me your address.
I appreciate your response. Thank you.

I do realize I wasn’t actually being ‘gaslighted’ and people are trying to help.

The terminology is indeed a stumbling block. I think Apple should include a dictionary with every product they sell. :-)

Yes I’m going to take a deep breath and step back.

Thanks for your offer. It’s very nice of you. Is a lightning connector the same jack as your standard charging cable??

See? Once again lack of knowledge of the terminology.

Last edited:
I.... Is a lightning connector the same jack as your standard charging cable??
Yes, that's the Apple proprietary connector used for charging, at least until the iPhone 15, which uses a USB-C port/jack. (You can thank the EU for this change, supposed to reduce the number of different chargers you have, but, of course, it still doesn't solve the no 3.5mm headphone jack problem, so you need to add another adapter to the collection...)

Back