Computers. Internet, hacking and ransomware.

I honestly don't get why people seem to get attacked so much? I have used this W10 laptop for several hours on the internet practically everyday since April 2021. Never had a problem.

Before that I had an HP W7 laptop and again no problems except when I stupidly opened an attachment that looked like it was from UPS and the hard drive had to be formatted and W7 re installed.

Both machines have only ever used Windows anti-virus software and the occasional flush with the free Malwarebytes.

What am 'I' doing right?

Dave.

Same here.. I've only ever used MS Defender - no third-party anti-virus programs.

My belief is that clicking on phishing emails is what opens the system to viral attacks. They're very easy to spot, which leads me to believe people click them by accident, as in your case, or just plain human curiosity. Some people just can't resist peeking, and they're also uninformed on the subject.

Outside of emails, I've also been attacked when clicking to what is, normally, a safe site. Browser hijacked. Stopping right there and doing a complete shutdown was the only way out, and no detectable viruses in the aftermath.

Back