Drum Cover Videos

Eh, a thread living forever is highly overrated.
Hehe..Says the guy who participates in toxic political threads that go on for 1000's of pages. :D

Just teasing you, man. Don't take me seriously...I'm a shit disturber .....You do whatever you want.....:)

Last edited:
Hehe..Says the guy who participates in toxic political threads that go on for 1000's of pages. :D

Just teasing you, man. Don't take me seriously...I'm a shit disturber .....You do whatever you want.....:)
Hey, no one’s perfect. And see? Ya made my point about thread lifespan bring overrated :-)

All this Page/Plant and Zep "reunions" with Bonzo Jr. (Bozo?) make me cringe.
Or a drunked up Phil Collins is a real crowd-pleaser to!

I'm sure you've seen this, but it still impresses me. I dabble in drums, so I kinda know the technicalities involved. Nowhere near to your level of playing though.

She does 'Burn" as well.

I'm sure you've seen this, but it still impresses me. I dabble in drums, so I kinda know the technicalities involved. Nowhere near to your level of playing though.

She does 'Burn" as well.

That's insane. I do remember seeing this a few years ago. Really impressive.

I hope what I'm going to say isn't taken the wrong way. But whenever I see kids this young doing something that takes as much practice as this takes, I always wonder how "Coerced" they are. I mean, they never look happy. Actually, this kid looks like she MIGHT be enjoying herself, so maybe not a good example. But I've seen many of these "Child Prodigy" videos with kids playing different instruments and I often get a bad vibe from them.

There was one little girl (also Asian) that I don't see any more. I think she played the cello or violin...maybe guitar, I can't remember. She was amazing, but she was always looking at someone off to the side and never smiled. As amazing as she was, it would break my heart watching her.

I hope what I'm going to say isn't taken the wrong way. But whenever I see kids this young doing something that takes as much practice as this takes, I always wonder how "Coerced" they are. I mean, they never look happy.
I get what your saying for sure. Kind of like child actors, they are often coerced and taken advantage of.

Speaking of Phil Collins, did you ever check out his side project in the 70's, 'Brand X'? Phil was an awesome drummer at his peak.

I may be going too off topic in your thread, I won't post any more links if it's an issue!

I get what your saying for sure. Kind of like child actors, they are often coerced and taken advantage of.

Speaking of Phil Collins, did you ever check out his side project in the 70's, 'Brand X'? Phil was an awesome drummer at his peak.

I may be going too off topic of your thread, I won't post any more links if it's an issue!

Don't worry about going off topic, brother. We're shooting the shit and talking about my favorite subject, music. I love it. :)

I was never familiar with "Brand X". I knew OF them, but never heard them. Phil Collins is one hell of a fantastic drummer. All those classic Genesis albums, epic songs in weird time signatures, usually 7/8...way before RUSH started doing the same thing. He's rarely talked about in the same breath as guys like Bonham and Peart, but I think he's right up there, if not better. And, like I mentioned earlier, he's the only other lefty besides Ian Paice that I know of, like me. :D

True. Many words spoken. Zero minds changed
I've changed my mind because of what I have read in those endless flights. Changed my mind about participating !
I was never familiar with "Brand X". I knew OF them, but never heard them
Brand X were quite an interesting outfit. I really like most of their album, "Moroccan Roll." Funny thing is, at the time I got into the LP, I was working with tons of Moroccans {Ladbroke Grove had Europe's largest Moroccan community} and I always used to say "It's all Moroccan Roll." I was kind of miffed to see the name of the album because I realized that someone had beaten me to the punch. I'd thought I was so original.😭
Anyway, they were very different from Genesis although they dabbled in uncommon time signatures on occasion. They sort of occupied that hinterland between jazz fusion and progressive rock.
On the aforementioned album, there's a piece called "Why should I lend you mine when you've broken yours off already ?" and the next song is called "Maybe I'll lend you mine after all." I modified them and used those lines in a song about my wife and I !
Phil Collins is one hell of a fantastic drummer. All those classic Genesis albums, epic songs in weird time signatures
It became very fashionable on internet forums to hate on Phil Collins. Personally, I thought he was a damned good singer and an absolutely fantastic drummer.

My favorite Genesis album IS "Trick of the Tail". I was neve able to really get into prog, in general. I tried. I played the hell out of ELP's "Tarkus" for months, for example. As much as I can appreciate the musicianship in all those bands, it never touched me on anything other than a superficial level. I also never understood any of Pete Gabriel's lyrics. They always just sounded non-sensical to me. "Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk"???? What the fuck is that? :D

But when Collins took over, I was blown away by his vocals, and also really liked the more accessible overall sound.

I love Gabriel's solo stuff a lot more than anything he did in Genesis.

I was never able to really get into prog, in general. I tried
For me, there's a universe of difference between 'prog' and progressive rock. For me, prog is what progressive rock mutated into.
Progressive rock, in my opinion, was, like heavy metal and jazz-fusion, an evolution. It began slowly with little, unusual experiments in songs {the way "I Feel Fine" starts, for example}, which more and more artists picked up on and began to expand. Psychedelia was a major signpost on the progressive road. A number of tributaries {psych, folk, folk-rock, classical, Indian, early world, even jazz} branched into the main river that became progressive. And despite what Andy Edwards says, this was happening on both sides of the Atlantic and Europe, not just England.
I like quite a bit of early progressive rock {Blossom Toes, Fusion Orchestra, Forever More, Touch, Blue Mountain Eagle, the Moonrakers, for example} but most of the bands I like are groups that never really made it, that hardly anyone I know has heard of !
I played the hell out of ELP's "Tarkus" for months, for example. As much as I can appreciate the musicianship in all those bands, it never touched me on anything other than a superficial level
I could never get into ELP. I can just about tolerate "Jerusalem." In a way, it's bands like ELP that one really thinks of when the term 'prog' comes up. Overblown and deliberately complex music. It has its place, but not in my collection ! :P
Not all progressive rock was that bombastic.
I also never understood any of Pete Gabriel's lyrics. They always just sounded non-sensical to me. "Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk"???? What the fuck is that?
Posh English middle-class boarding school boy meets LSD and realizes his band has an audience that likes their work !
My favorite Genesis album IS "Trick of the Tail"
I like all the stuff they did in the '70s, a bit of their '80s stuff and "I Can't Dance." I know, I know, it's the worst song ever....but I love it. I've never been into videos {I saw a good Frank Zappa one in 1983 on TV but I was stoned and it was late !} so their lame video for it had no impact on me or my liking of the song {or any song, for that matter}.
However, the album of theirs that I love is "Seconds Out." For me, it captures the best of both worlds where Genesis are concerned.

Gosh, Grim, we wouldn't get along at all!!! 😅

In college, for a music appreciation course, I did an analysis of Yes, including Close to the Edge. The analysis was done on tape, and included snippets of their work. (I almost laughed at the professor when he asked who the girl singing was!) I have a bunch of ELP albums, Tarkus, Pictures, Brain Salad, Trilogy. Old Genesis albums, Starcastle, Kansas, PFM, King Crimson. I liked Prog Rock.

As for Genesis, my favorite video is Land of Confusion. The puppets crack me up!

🤜🏿🦈
I like Yes up to a point, King Crimson up to a point, love Kansas up to 1979. I like some 'prog' but I prefer the wider, if unrecognized world of progressive rock. Two very different entities.

Shit, I wasn't sure where to put this. I don't want to start a third thread, so I'll just throw it in here.

Man, do you realize how hard it is to play along with a drummer who can't keep proper time. The choruses speed up in this song, it's crazy.

I don't know if it's just because I feel it, but I think you can hear me trying to catch up in the choruses.

Just banged this out a few hours ago....

Last edited:
Shit, I wasn't sure where to put this. I don't want to start a third thread, so I'll just throw it in here.

Man, do you realize how hard it is to play along with a drummer who can't keep proper time. The choruses speed up in this song, it's crazy.

I don't know if it's just because I feel it, but I think you can hear me trying to catch up in the choruses.

Just banged this out a few hours ago....

Works for me.

Ya know......... Rock Candy by Montrose would be a great one to do.
If alway thought that was some powerful monster drumming. 8-)

Just planting seeds :-)

Ya know......... Rock Candy by Montrose would be a great one to do.
If alway thought that was some powerful monster drumming. 8-)

Just planting seeds :-)
I'll check it out. Never heard of it.

I like doing tunes that 1) have interesting drum parts, obviously...and B) Most people have heard of. Not sure how popular it is.

I'll check it out. Never heard of it.

I like doing tunes that 1) have interesting drum parts, obviously...and B) Most people have heard of. Not sure how popular it is.

That’s just because Canada is backwards wilderness country. :-) For the rest of the civilized world it’s a rock anthem!

Here it is.

That’s just because Canada is backwards wilderness country. :-)
well, I can't argue with that. :D
For the rest of the civilized world it’s a rock anthem!
I guarantee you that if you asked 100 non-musicians if they ever heard of Montrose, let alone this particular tune, 98 would say "Who?".
Here it is.

Can't listen now but am curious to hear it for sure. I'll check it ut later. :)

I guarantee you that if you asked 100 non-musicians if they ever heard of Montrose, let alone this particular tune, 98 would say "Who?".

Maybe........ but a 100 non musicians probably won’t listen to drum covers on the tube either. ;)

As far as this song in the US, there’s lots of bands in clubs and bars covering it, and audiences (musician or not) are rocking out to it. :-)

Anyway check it out when you can. I think you’ll like it.

I suspect that if you asked 100 bagpipe players if they've ever heard of Montrose they'd slap you 🤜👋and tell you, "Of course Mon ! It's in Bonny Scotland !!" ⛄🍷🍻💉🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
It's a pretty good song that comes from what I've long considered to be an overrated album.

Back