Drum Cover Videos

Ok, that worked. I tried it on a few tunes and it does what it's supposed to. Great stuff! Now I'm not at the mercy of what I can find on the internet. I can literally make any song drumless.

Thanx again, Ujn.

I'm working on it too. Simon Phillips got me going on that. Another lefty....
Cool. I didn't know he's left handed. The only 2 drummers I ever knew that play lefty like me are Ian Paice (Deep Purple) and Phil Collins.
Technically SP is ambidextrous and plays a right-handed kit. Adding to the confusion though is his somewhat unusual kit config, which has at times included three snares. From what I've heard, he learned ambidextrous drumming by practicing while watching video footage of Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, etc (so that he imitated the hands mirrored/reversed on screen). Just a story I heard -- could be a legend from one drummer to the next 🤪

I never got into Simon Phillips. I'm sure he's a great drummer, but it's funny how sometimes one sentence can turn you off from someone sometimes. I was once watching one of his Youtube "lesson/technique" videos, and it was about how you should never play your bass during a fill/roll because it muddies it up. It's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard (I'm exaggerating). I had to rewind to make sure I heard him right.

Not only does it not make sense, but it's funny because he replaced one of the busiest, sloppiest drummers in history. Not only did Keith Moon play his kik during his rolls (like all drummers do), he played 8th notes, not 1//4 notes during his rolls. So, it was even more cluttered.

Or, maybe Simon said that after listening to Keith Moon and decided that playing your kik through a roll messes up your playing only because the guy he was listening to was so sloppy. :D Either way, it left a bad taste in my mouth and I now have trouble taking him seriously.

I know I sound stupid, because dude has a great reputation. But that statement left me shaking my head.

As you probably figured out, I'm not much of a Keith Moon fan either. :D

Last edited:
This is it. His explanation makes sense on paper. But it doesn't make sense in the real world. I disagree with pretty much everything he says in this video. It was one of the first videos of his that I watched, and also the last.

I never got into Simon Phillips. I'm sure he's a great drummer, but it's funny how sometimes one sentence can turn you off from someone sometimes. I was once watching one of his Youtube "lesson/technique" videos, and it was about how you should never play your bass during a fill/roll because it muddies it up. It's the most ridiculous thing I ever heard (I'm exaggerating). I had to rewind to make sure I heard him right.

Not only does it not make sense, but it's funny because he replaced one of the busiest, sloppiest drummers in history. Not only did Keith Moon play his kik during his rolls (like all drummers do), he played 8th notes, not 1//4 notes during his rolls. So, it was even more cluttered.

Or, maybe Simon said that after listening to Keith Moon and decided that playing your kik through a roll messes up your playing only because the guy he was listening to was so sloppy. :D Either way, it left a bad taste in my mouth and I now have trouble taking him seriously.

I know I sound stupid, because dude has a great reputation. But that statement left me shaking my head.

As you probably figured out, I'm not much of a Keith Moon fan either. :D
Well, yeah, that's a bit strange, but I believe he means that you shouldn't hit the kick and a tom at the same time (I just realized that I never do, to me it would feel weird).

Anyway, his tenure with the Who was not very long (just a tour and a bit of solo projects with other bandmembers) and I far prefer his work with Toto and also his recent Protocol stuff:

That being said, it's just my .02, and I really enjoyed your video despite really not being into The Police in general... Good job :)

Well, yeah, that's a bit strange, but I believe he means that you shouldn't hit the kick and a tom at the same time (I just realized that I never do, to me it would feel weird).

Anyway, his tenure with the Who was not very long (just a tour and a bit of solo projects with other bandmembers) and I far prefer his work with Toto and also his recent Protocol stuff:

That being said, it's just my .02, and I really enjoyed your video despite really not being into The Police in general... Good job :)

Holy crap, that was a great video. No doubt he can play. I know my opinion is probably very unpopular, but I was talking more about his philosophy in that one particular video, rather that judging his playing which is top notch.

Are you sure you never play your bass drum at the same time as a tom. If you're doing a simple 16th stroke roll around the drums, for example, doesn't your kik come down on the "1,2,3 and 4"?

Anyway, it's no big deal. Just something that I didn't agree with when I saw that video. Maybe he was racking his brain to come up with content and this is all he could think of? :D

But his playing on the video you posted is awesome. :)

Instead of starting a new thread, and considering the "Drum" Forum doesn't get all kinds of traffic, I'll just throw this latest one in here. Just did this a few hours ago on a whim while listening to some James. :)

If anyone else has drum videos they'd like to post, feel free to put them up in this thread. It would be cool.

Oops! Forgot to hit the "post" button...
Are you sure you never play your bass drum at the same time as a tom. If you're doing a simple 16th stroke roll around the drums, for example, doesn't your kik come down on the "1,2,3 and 4"?
Nope! Funny mental image I guess, but I like having those rolls feel like you're free falling -- no feel of "rock bottom" until you hit the ground on "1".

I have the utmost respect for drummers. Just the ability to coordinate both hands with the feet, and then to top it off sing while they’re doing all that, amazes and baffles me. I have trouble walking while chewing gum.

I guess you can tell I have zero drum skills. ;)

You did a good job on this mister ‘random dude’ nod, nod, wink wink. ;) your secret is safe with me.

Now for some more drum babble..... in 2013 , at the NAMM show I saw a tribute to John Bonham show. Everyone and their mother was there. Fantastic show, and yes, drum solos were allowed, and in fact encouraged.

Cheers and good job! :thumbs up:

I have the utmost respect for drummers. Just the ability to coordinate both hands with the feet, and then to top it off sing while they’re doing all that, amazes and baffles me. I have trouble walking while chewing gum.

I guess you can tell I have zero drum skills. ;)

You did a good job on this mister ‘random dude’ nod, nod, wink wink. ;) your secret is safe with me.
Thanx dude!
Now for some more drum babble..... in 2013 , at the NAMM show I saw a tribute to John Bonham show. Everyone and their mother was there. Fantastic show, and yes, drum solos were allowed, and in fact encouraged.
That must have been brutal. LOL! :D Drum solos? Yuk....John Bonham tributes? I can't even get myself to listen to his son playing Zep tunes. I have zero interest in ever hearing Led Zeppelin other than the original band on record. All this Page/Plant and Zep "reunions" with Bonzo Jr. (Bozo?) make me cringe.
Cheers and good job! :thumbs up:
Thanx brother. Good to see you. :)

Last edited:
I know my opinion is probably very unpopular, but I was talking more about his philosophy in that one particular video, rather that judging his playing which is top notch
I'm a terrible one for that. I do it all the time and I hold it against the expert until they change their tune. :LOL:
I remember Paul McCartney {whose songwriting I've loved since 1976} saying a couple of things that I thought were utter bollocks and 40 years on still do. One of the things was that you couldn't write songs on a bass. I remember, I was on a bus when I read that and the other passengers might have wondered what was going on with my reaction ! But I bristled because at that point, I'd written dozens of songs on bass. Then he also said that if a song he was writing was good enough, he didn't need to record it so he'd remember it - its goodness would ensure he'd remember it. But he said it in a general sense, that if a song is any good, you'll remember it. Well, I thought then and still do that that's a load of shit. I'm a pretty prolific writer and there's no way I'd remember ⅒0 of the songs or instrumental lines or vocal melodies or harmonies that I come up with if I didn't record them into my ever handy dictaphone. Once in a blue moon, I'll come up with something and later discover I'd already come up with it - but that's rare.
It didn't stop me digging Paul and the Beatles though !
But it did with Elvis Costello when I read a quote of his in which he racially abused Ray Charles. I just had no interest in him from that point on and 41 years later, have never felt motivated to check him out.

I'm a terrible one for that. I do it all the time and I hold it against the expert until they change their tune. :LOL:
I remember Paul McCartney {whose songwriting I've loved since 1976} saying a couple of things that I thought were utter bollocks and 40 years on still do. One of the things was that you couldn't write songs on a bass. I remember, I was on a bus when I read that and the other passengers might have wondered what was going on with my reaction ! But I bristled because at that point, I'd written dozens of songs on bass. Then he also said that if a song he was writing was good enough, he didn't need to record it so he'd remember it - its goodness would ensure he'd remember it. But he said it in a general sense, that if a song is any good, you'll remember it. Well, I thought then and still do that that's a load of shit. I'm a pretty prolific writer and there's no way I'd remember ⅒0 of the songs or instrumental lines or vocal melodies or harmonies that I come up with if I didn't record them into my ever handy dictaphone. Once in a blue moon, I'll come up with something and later discover I'd already come up with it - but that's rare.
It didn't stop me digging Paul and the Beatles though !
That's interesting. I can forget a melody in the time it takes me to fire up my studio to hum it so I won't forget it. I agree with you on everything you said. You can write a song on any instrument, even the drums. "Wipe Out" might have (or at least COULD have) been written on the drums.
But it did with Elvis Costello when I read a quote of his in which he racially abused Ray Charles. I just had no interest in him from that point on and 41 years later, have never felt motivated to check him out.
Wow! I had no idea. I've never been an Elvis fan except for maybe 2 songs. If he really is a racist, that just justifies my apathy for him even more.

Last edited:
EDIT: Never mind. I was having trouble with Spleeter, but it seems to have magically fixed itself.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge Doors fan, but this is a fun one to drum to. Lots of changes, etc...

Gotta thank @Ujn Hunter again for the SPLEETER link. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have access to any tune I want to do. :)

Last edited:
LOL! Well, if there's one thing I do well, it's kill threads. It's just what I do. :D

Anyway, I definitely got something out of this one. If I never started this thread, I might not have ever heard of SPLEETER, which turned out to be a dog-send. :)

Last edited:
Back