Download and Mix Contest

My normal "go to" vocal mic is a Gefell UM92 - a truly amazing mic. However, in this case, his voice, while crystal clear, was quite thin sounding. I kept getting him up closer on it to get some prox effect, but that did very little. On the SM7, we got a bit of weight in it, but I still was not thrilled with the sound. Consequently, the vocal tracks are going to be the biggest challenge, followed by the bass........

May I ask what pre too?

We tried several, as he has an unusual voice. It was hard to get any "weight" into it. Consequently, we had the best results with him up close on an SM7.

I had to create one hell of an envelope to balance out his levels (I got a little lazy at the end). This was a good learning experience esp. for drums. I never mixed a real set before. If this was my own song I would have tweaked it a little more.

Early reviews:

jaybriggs84: really bright in presence range. A lot of different instruments are fighting for that space, and the cymbals all sound very fast, little body to the sound there. Snare is peaking way above the rest. Mix needs more lows too.

Torpid-X: Snare is way loud, a bit smiley-EQ.

These raw tracks are obviously very solid as the mixes are pretty good, just with room for improvement. Each was actually a pretty loud mix, but with the snare so far on top, they actually are a lot less loud and punchy than they could be. It would come back from the ME literally 6dB louder.

Now I am NOT saying to try to be the ME here, these contests are NOT scored on the basis of loudness, but on mix quality. But if there is an issue that should be addressed in mixing but is "left for mastering", that will be a part of the score.

So if you want a dynamic mix that really has a -15 or -16 crest factor, make the whole mix that dynamic!

For those new to mix contests, these usually run a few weeks, and you can revise as often as you'd like. My initial comments are often kind of harsh, because I want people to get their final mixes as good as possible!

The snare bleeds through all the tracks. No smiley,actually no anything, just mixed the bottom mic heavy, wanted to brighten it up (the way I like snares to sound), had to be loud. I'd rather a loud snare that I like, than a low one fighting with the kick.

P.s. listening with fresh ears now, yeah it is a little annoyingly loud. I'll try to fix that real quick

Last edited:
The snare bleeds through all the tracks. No smiley,actually no anything, just mixed the bottom mic heavy, wanted to brighten it up (the way I like snares to sound), had to be loud. I'd rather a loud snare that I like, than a low one fighting with the kick.

Once you learn how to deal with real drum tracks, you'll be able to get the sound you want without compromise. The bleed in these tracks is very easy to deal with IMHO. There is no reason for not having a HUGE drum sound....................

P.s. listening with fresh ears now, yeah it is a little annoyingly loud. I'll try to fix that real quick

Sorry I meant the mix is smiley, not the just snare. That could be a natural faders-up mix (I don't know, haven't tried), but I would still try to thicken it up.

Early reviews:

jaybriggs84: really bright in presence range. A lot of different instruments are fighting for that space, and the cymbals all sound very fast, little body to the sound there. Snare is peaking way above the rest. Mix needs more lows too.

These raw tracks are obviously very solid as the mixes are pretty good, just with room for improvement. Each was actually a pretty loud mix, but with the snare so far on top, they actually are a lot less loud and punchy than they could be. It would come back from the ME literally 6dB louder.

Now I am NOT saying to try to be the ME here, these contests are NOT scored on the basis of loudness, but on mix quality. But if there is an issue that should be addressed in mixing but is "left for mastering", that will be a part of the score.

So if you want a dynamic mix that really has a -15 or -16 crest factor, make the whole mix that dynamic!

For those new to mix contests, these usually run a few weeks, and you can revise as often as you'd like. My initial comments are often kind of harsh, because I want people to get their final mixes as good as possible!

After the mix I had a limiter on the final track, I went and uploaded the original without the limiter and put it in it's place now, since you mentioned it sounded "loud"

NL5 what is your tracking room like do you have a picture of it I would really like to see your set up

My tracking room is about 1000sq ft with hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings, and very little parrallel surfaces - those that are, are of varying lengths, the closest being 26 feet apart. The room has a lot of weird angles, cutouts, corners, etc as well as lots of "diffusors" since it is the great room in my home. The great room is the kitchen, dining, living, and family rooms all in one big room, and has furniture, a huge kitchen island, an 8 foot wall that doesn't go up to the 12' celing above it, etc.....

I don't know how I would even get it all into one pic, but there are pics up at my myspace - www.myspace.com/nlrs

edit - oops. there are parrallel surfaces of varying size. They are spaced at 8, 12, 16, 26, 28, and 32 feet.

Back