Download and Mix Contest

Any idea what kind of mic is on the kick? Whatever it is, I'll have to be sure to get something else :eek: Sounds like a cardboard tube to me, but I'll see if I can make it sound more to my liking!

It's not the mic.

While not the greatest kick drum sound, it is pretty good for a hard rock/metal kick. A lot of snap and a hellava whallop. Yes. It's there. The thing is, it's a HUGE kick, and it's tuned really low. The fundamental is probably quite a bit lower than your used to. Like I said above, if you can't make these drum tracks sound HUGE, you, yes you, are doing something wrong. :D

Kick Drum is almost ALWAYS an instrument that needs EQ anyways

Yes. In fact, it's the only instrument I ALWAYS eq, and have a "preset" as a starting point.

That Kick sounded incredible in the room. It really hit you in the chest.......

Last edited:
Yes. In fact, it's the only instrument I ALWAYS eq, and have a "preset" as a starting point.

That Kick sounding incredible in the room. It really hit you in the chest.......

I obviously have no idea what I'm doing! LOL. I played with eq's for a while on that kick track and could not get it to thump at all. How sad. :confused:

Heh, I think I might be better off working on getting good, workable tracks recorded so I can just pay a pro to mix and master them. I'm just doing this for my own music and I should probably be spending more time writing and arranging and leaving the engineering to the professionals.

:)

I obviously have no idea what I'm doing! LOL. I played with eq's for a while on that kick track and could not get it to thump at all. How sad. :confused:

Depending on your monitoring environment and monitors, you may have and not known it.

I have to turn my sub on to feel the thump, as well as boost the crap out of the low end.

Don't get discouraged. These contests are to learn. I can't tell you how much they helped me.

BushmasterM4 did you use the sneap kick from drumagog?

Nah. I just reversed the polarity of the lithium crystals and eq'd the hell out of it. Also applied a maximiser. Its a preset I start with when I record my cousins band. They play a similar style with the machine gun kick and love that click type kick. I thaught it would sound good on this one and it did. I personally dont like that clicky sound. But it worked well with that track. I still have not listened to my mixes on my studio monitors. Did it come out good ? We had some snow here and Ive been in the house all day. I did have my kids shovel a path to the studio, but havent went out. The guitar tracks have some plugins also. The bass guitar I left alone, other than a little bit of compression. It was a good track. The vocals were a challenge. I tried some things and just went back to a clean compressed track with the mids raised a little. The second vocal I delayed a little. There are alot of different things I thaught of after but I dont want to do them. Its a nice clean song and doesnt need any wierd stuff going on. Do the mixes sound OK. I was worried about the bass. Like I said I recorded with headphones and was worried about the bass being overstated. Let me know

NL5 I wondering if it was alright if after I finish the mix if I can put it on my studio profile as a mix only

Depending on your monitoring environment and monitors, you may have and not known it.

I have to turn my sub on to feel the thump, as well as boost the crap out of the low end.

Don't get discouraged. These contests are to learn. I can't tell you how much they helped me.

Yeah, I'm still operating without real monitors. I have Reaper on my iPod and I take it to my brother's place to borrow his monitors, but I don't have that luxury at home yet. Just headphones right now. Unfortunately, I can't fix that until after Christmas, but that's the next item on my list.

Yeah, I'll have to play around with the kick some more using speakers. So far I've just been fiddling around with some phones for the sake of playing with the tracks, and I suspect the thump component is lost down below what the phones are giving me. Something in the mids in the track just doesn't quite sit right with my ear, at least in the raw form, but that'll change with some processing.

I agree with you all in regards to the eq on kicks. On the whole, I try to go with a recording paradigm of recording the sound you want, but that doesn't really apply well to kicks, since the popular kick sound really isn't what an actual kick drum sounds like, without lots of eq and compression.

As far as I've done so far, the kick is really the only thing that has any serious processing. Actually, I don't think I've done much more than compress the kick, pan the stereo things out, and slap some quick compression on the vocals, as they'll probably need some dynamics consideration. Other than that the tracks don't really need much done to have a basic balance. Besides my style issues with the raw kick sound, those drum tracks are beautiful, should be a pleasure to mix.

I don't think I've done much more than compress the kick

You might try taking the compression off, and just eq'ing the crap out of the lowend. It probably won't need much high end "attack" added, as it's pretty slappy already. Just a suggestion YMMV.

How did I miss this?!

Downloading the tracks at the moment and May have a little time to kick out a quickie mix tomorrow for fun.

Fun. Thanks.

-C

Back