Does AKG D 1000E Require Phantom Power?

Nada Boy

Hey All,

Just scooped an AKG D 1000E microphone from a flea market for $30 - thought it was a pretty good deal, as I was looking for something that would be similar to an SM57.

Upon getting home though to test it out, I just ran it through my M-Audio digital interface into Audacity - I can't seem to get any sound out of it.

This goes for my Clip/Signal lights on the M-Audio, as well as any sound in Audacity. I checked the same setup with my Sennheiser e835, and got sound out of that no problem.

SO now, I am wondering if I need to go back and try to get my money back, OR -
I wonder if because the AKG is a relatively older microphone, that it may require phantom power to run. I can't find any precise information online that would tell me clearly, so I made an account here! Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Nada Boy

Upon getting home though to test it out, I just ran it through my M-Audio digital interface into Audacity - I can't seem to get any sound out of it.

This goes for my Clip/Signal lights on the M-Audio, as well as any sound in Audacity. I checked the same setup with my Sennheiser e835, and got sound out of that no problem.

SO now, I am wondering if I need to go back and try to get my money back, OR -
[/U]

Thanks!!

Nada Boy
That mic doesn't have much in the way of signal coming out of it and it's going to take a lot of preamp gain to get it up to be usable. Plug it in to your interface, crank up the gain, and gently tap on the frontend of the mic with a pencil or similar while listening with headphone and see if you hear anything. I don't think I've ever seen a mic with this low of an output.

From RecordingHacks.....
"The mic’s sensitivity is very low at 0.23mV/Pa. Compare to the Shure SM7B (1.1mV/Pa) and SM57 (1.9mV/Pa). For quiet sources, this microphone would need more than 60dB of (very clean) preamp gain."

Your e835 can push 2.7mv/Pa as a comparison.

That's why it was only $30. :D

I've got 4-5 of them...great mics for guitar cabs, and IMO, better than a 57...plus you have the 3-posiiton tone switch.
One of mine is also dead, the voice coil is shot...and you can pretty much toss them when they die.
If you try opening it up, it's a PITA, and you can easily kill them doing that. They are pretty old, so the guts will just fall apart when you open them if you are not very careful....but still, really great on cabs when they work.

That's why it was only $30. :D

I've got 4-5 of them...great mics for guitar cabs, and IMO, better than a 57...plus you have the 3-posiiton tone switch.
One of mine is also dead, the voice coil is shot...and you can pretty much toss them when they die.
If you try opening it up, it's a PITA, and you can easily kill them doing that. They are pretty old, so the guts will just fall apart when you open them if you are not very careful....but still, really great on cabs when they work.
They are getting on' aren't they. We had the simpler ones IIRC. And (as IRC :rolleyes: long time ago) they had a nice-- interesting'? midrange.

Back