DIY Bass Traps & other Room Treatment?

Mongoo

I thought I read a while back that you can make some great bass traps from fiberglass boards covered in burlap or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about and know the specifics? What are some other things I should do to my room to enhance the overall treatment? As it is right now I have 4 pieces of wedge foam about 2'x3' probably 3" thick that I've just got tucked into a corner of an open closet attached to the room. Where should I place these to best utilize them? & How many bass traps do you think I'll need, should they be in the top/bottom corners of the room or mid way along the corner edge? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

What are some other things I should do to my room to enhance the overall treatment?

Room treatment is a deep subject, and a complete answer requires far more than will fit into a single reply here. So here's the short version. All rooms need:

* Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners. More bass traps on the rear wall behind helps even further. You simply cannot have too much bass trapping. Real bass trapping, that is - thin foam and thin fiberglass don't work to a low enough frequency.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption and/or diffusion on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective. Diffusion on the rear wall behind you is also useful in larger rooms.

For the complete story see my Acoustics FAQ.

There's a lot of additional non-sales technical information on my company's site - articles, videos, test tones and other downloads - here:

www.realtraps.com

--Ethan

Back