Digital Mixer Issues (and a hello)

Fireal402

Eyeballs! OH MY GOD EYES
This is my first post here, so I might as well introduce myself. My name is Ben, and I own a small small studio. I've been into the world of recording since I was 14 (I'm older now, I guarantee), and I've been visiting this board for a few years. Now, onto business.

I am using a Soundcraft Spirit 328 Digital Mixer (though I don't believe that's of relevance to my problems) into an RME HDSP 96/52 with Cubase SX (and quite possiby Nuendo in a few months, I'm saving up for it.) I would LIKE to use the mixer as a control surface of sorts, but I've found more problems than I ever thought possible. When I used an analogue mixer in my setup, I routed the outputs of the RME into a D/A converter, and then sent the respective channels to the mixer. This gave me the option to pan stereo channels left and right, and move mono channels throughout the spectrum. Trying to do this with the Spirit 328, I run into routing issues.

If I make a mono channel, I have the option to route it to any channel of my choice (stereo or mono). But using a mono output, I lose the ability to pan unless I create a stereo group track for each channel and route it to a mono output. This seems needlessly time consuming, and so far I have not been able to figure out how to go about configuring it. Also, I lose the ability to pan the tracks, only the groups. Just a side note: I don't believe the mixer can transfer the stereo buss both ways over ADAT, only out. If it could do that, I would just make a master stereo track, and route that the the master fader, and use everything else as mono.

The reason why I posted in this forum (not the Cubase one) is that I feel it may be more of a system issue, not a software based one. I am open to suggestions on other software, if any can do what I am looking for, or other ways to go about what I am looking to do. I've done some extensive searching, but so far I've not found a site with a solution. I'm hoping someone here knows.

Thank you (and hello),
Ben.

ADAT lightpipe is directional: you have to have an ADAT out and an ADAT in for the signal to flow both directions. If your setup is like mine, the pan function on the mixer won't appear as a pan in the software. If I pan Channel 1 to the left, it will appear in Track 1L of my software; Channel 2 panned right will be Track 1R. In other words, they are L+R on the same bus. If I then want to pan either of these tracks for playback I have to do so in the software.

I'm not aware of the Soundcraft having control surface capability. It's several years old and the review I read of it maybe 3 years ago didn't mention any such facility. I use another brand of digital mixer, in conjunction with a Tascam US428 which is not used for audio, only as a control surface. There are new devices available that offer both (the Tascam FW-1884, for example) along with higher sampling rate and bitdepth over the Soundcraft, which, if I remember, is limited to 24 bit.

Using Digital 328 with Nuendo 3

Hello Ben,

I am also using a Soundcraft Spirit 328 Digital Mixer into an RME HDSP 9652 and Nuendo 3 and I would LIKE to use the mixer as a control surface.

The MIDI controller preset that is on the Sound craft site, at: web page is: “S/ware: Cubase/Nuendo MIDI controller preset [2 kb]” for Setup of Digital 328 control of (Steinberg Cubase 5.0 and) Nuendo 1.5, which is older version of the software I'm using.

I did NOT have problems with the S/ware: Cubase VST Mixermaps [14 kb]; it was recognized by the Nuendo 3.0 and works just fine with the mixer.

I’m aware that Soundcraft can NOT keep up with the latest multiple software updates compatible for the mixers so I thought to bring my problem to this forum.

I hope you may have an idea where to find compatible MIDI controller preset for Nuendo 3.0 and to use the mixer as a control surface.

I would appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Bob
bojidar.com@gmail.com

I see this thread has been resurrected. Update: I now have a Mackie Control that replaced the fried US428. I tend to prefer gear that does only one thing at a time, and I no longer have to use the control surface for the playback routing.

On the other hand, the loss of the US428 meant that I had to get another digital mixer to route all my headphone/playback/monitor signals....

Back