DAW Users With ADD

Dachay, your vocal mixes are superb, kinda barber shop meets pop/rock.
That's not too far off, Paul. We started out as an a cappella group about 10 years ago, although we did do an occasional song with acoustic guitar accompaniment. Originally we had 5 voices (tenor, tenor, baritone, bass and lead). Recently due to a series of events, we are now just three singers, but we also picked up a drummer along the way. The drummer hasn't sung with us yet, but he might in order to give us a 4th voice. We are now looking to primarily concentrate on recording tracks with music (although given that we have just drums and guitar, this could be a challange).

The tracks for this song are:
1 stereo track for drums (Roland V-Club electronic set direct into the board).
2 mono tracks for guitar - 1 hard left and 1 hard right. Each track was played separately. It was not a copy and paste job (big difference, BTW).
3 vocal tracks (one each for the three voices).

In addition to that there is a synth bass, and a synth string (which most everyone says sounds like a cheap organ), as well as a tamborene and cabasa.

And, of course, there are the three horn tracks by Mr. ChuckU.

That's the lowdown. I'll try and listen to your new one sometime this weekend.

Happy birthday to me - coming soon

Happy Birthday to me,Happy Birthday to me,Happy Birthday dear Pau-ul, Happy Birthday to me:) (How bloody childish can you get :rolleyes:

My birthday soon folks and wifey says I can get my Fathers day monitor speakers (ain't you got them yet I hear you groan?) AND either a midi controller k/board OR a drum machine. I was thinking about the Alesis SR16 and then I came accross the Yamaha DD55:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gDPE00006DD55

Depends whether I want to tap out a rythm or bash out a rythm:D What do you fellas think?

Thanks for the info on the recording Dachay, I aspire to your skills in all respects. When I grow up, I want to be just like you and Chuck:D

Did you record the three vocals seperately or in one session? My guess is that they were seperately recorded?

I loved Chucks horn, almost as much as Mrs Chuck (warning, poor taste joke department:rolleyes: )

Later!

Happy birthday to me - coming soon

Happy Birthday to me,Happy Birthday to me,Happy Birthday dear Pau-ul, Happy Birthday to me:) (How bloody childish can you get :rolleyes:

My birthday soon folks and wifey says I can get my Fathers day monitor speakers (ain't you got them yet I hear you groan?) AND either a midi controller k/board OR a drum machine. I was thinking about the Alesis SR16 and then I came accross the Yamaha DD55:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gDPE00006DD55

Depends whether I want to tap out a rythm or bash out a rythm:D What do you fellas think?

Thanks for the info on the recording Dachay, I aspire to your skills in all respects. When I grow up, I want to be just like you and Chuck:D

Did you record the three vocals seperately or in one session? My guess is that they were seperately recorded?

I loved Chucks horn, almost as much as Mrs Chuck (warning, poor taste joke department:rolleyes: )

Later!

Hey Birthday boy!
Alesis sr-16.....hmmmm. I used to own one and I got it to slave easily with Cakewalk.........BUT!!!!,

I'd look elsewhere...
A couple of reasons:
1. I don't think the samples are that good.
2. Unless you're playing out with it, you don't need the programmability. Sonar with loops or soundfonts will do you better I think.

I've got an old Roland module for drums & bass (MBD-1) with much better samples and I suspect some of the newer, cheaper modules do too. Also, there are many good CD's out there with drum loops. The new features in Sonar will allow you to exploit this. Just my opinion. PM me if you'd like.

BTW, I saw your latest post in the mp3 forum. Glad you're not too sensitive.

...and, have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE my Yorkville monitors? ~$440 US, the pair.

Also, the jazz tune I posted, I'm playing bass, not horn. The horn is a damn good sax playing friend of mine. But I am playing trumpet on Mike's latest.

Thanks for the fast reply Chuck. Maybe I'd be better off looking to buy an old Alesis d4 or maybe a d5 module, but the D5 is a bit out of my price league. I'll check out the other possibilities (Roland etc). See what I come up with. I think for what I want, getting a midi controller keyboard would be favourite, at least its better than my qwerty and I can use it for other synth work.
The yourkies are a non starter for me cos of their size, Its a real restriction I have in my set-up. Maximum size is 11x8x7.5. Restricts the choice somewhat. Oh, and they have to be shielded.

One day though..........;)

Sorry about the horn joke, couldn't help myself....:)

Don't forget to post the new tune update that you did with Mike.

See we are winning the largest post thread competition. Shows how many other sad people there are out there:D

Hey, Paul, Happy B'day. Now stop posting here and go spend that money, before the wifey changes her mind! :D

Your guess would be right. :) In the past, when we recorded a cappella we usually did a "working take" with all the voices at once. Then we would go back and redo each part one at a time. The reason for this was to get rid of the mic-to-mic bleed, and also to allow us each to record each part using the Studio Projects C-1 (of which we have just one :( ).

However, since this track had music, we went directly to recording each part one at a time - singing along to the music track (lead first). I'm not sure this is the approach we will use in the future. We're still experimenting to see what works best.

Chuck - Yanks-Sox starting tomorrow. Is this Boston's chance climb back into things, or the final nail in the coffin?? Stay tuned.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!:D
(Am I late?)
It's a shame us married with children guys have to grovel and wait for personal gain holidays to make a new aquisition,but until a new better method comes along we'll just have to hone our skills at the old one.

Hey, James, welcome to the ADD thread.

| | |
| | |
| | |
ooo
o
o
o
o

Chuck, in case you were wondering, that's a fork for you to stick into the Red Sox to check for done-ness. :) (And it ain't even September yet.)

You better not be rooting for a strike, btw.

In total agreement with Chuck about the drum machine.I own a dr660 which I used to sync to my vs880 but once I went to computer recording it became solely a sound module as the sequencing abilities of a computer far outstrip any standalone unit.
I've also had the previous version of the Yamaha unit that you posted it'll be okay for entering midi if you've got a knack for drumming and the pads are assignable.The footswitches are a bit cheesy you may not end up using those though.
If I'm not to late here's another consideration thats a little more "pro".
http://www.americanmusical.com/item.asp?UID=2002082820593068&item=ROL+SPD6

STRIKE-STRIKE-STRIKE-STRIKE-STRIKE-STRIKE-STRIKE-STRIKE

Please excuse me as the Brewers are the team whom I'm stuck with......they got a fork stuck in them about April or May.....

of 1990!:(

Dear God please,please,please end the suffering and put us out of our misery.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

BUD SUCKS!
(THE COMMISIONER AND THE BEER)

Oh Mike,
I am SO rooting for a strike!

I really set myself up here in case the Patriots lose on Oct. 13......right Guy?

BTW, Mike, I recorded another horn track to double the first section. The clip should line up exactly with one of the ones I sent you the first time around. Failing that, of course, the peaks will line up.
I will try to email it to you tomorrow as I've been having trouble with @##$@#$@!%$ CDRW's tonight.

In addition, the cwp of Son of God Song (which incidentally makes a bundle file of over a Gig) would not play back for me tonight. I tried increasing latency, shutting off effects, aux busses, etc. I rebooted the PC a few times, too.
I finally decided to do a save as and then delete all archived tracks, turn off all effects and cross my fingers..that worked.

So now I have a slimmer file. You can be sure I'm going to bundle this & back it up ASAP. Bastards!

James...Welcome. As you can see, we talk quite a bit about American sports, but don't let that deter you from getting in the conversation. We also talk gear, Sonar and families...

Chuck - looking forward to getting the new horn file. I won't have any trouble plugging it in. In the worst case, I can just place it by ear.

I broke down and bought the full version of Livesynth Pro last night. I figure if I'm going to use midi in any of my stuff, I should at least try to make it sound a bit more realistic. I guess GigaSampler (?) might have been a better way to go, but I didn't want to have to learn another program. I liked the ease of the DXi approach of Livesynth. And I have heard lots of people raving about the quality of some of the available soundfonts.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAUL!
(Am I late?)
It's a shame us married with children guys have to grovel and wait for personal gain holidays to make a new aquisition,but until a new better method comes along we'll just have to hone our skills at the old one lol...Very True:rolleyes:

No, Guy, my b/day (For that read "New Gear Day:D ) is not until the 17th Sept, but I like to plan gear purchases ahead of time;) You of all people should understand that, gear slut that you are:cool:

Mike/Chuck, Its so interesting seeing you two NFL boys go to war over this trivial matter.:p

James, if you are old, nuts and senile, you are welcome to this thread, it needs new blood and ours is all spent out:eek:

Chuck wrote:
We also talk gear, Sonar and families...
Plus any other old Bollocks that comes into our heads too :D :D :D

Guy, Re the drum machine, following a re-think, I'm going for a midi k/board controller and I'm resolving to learn my Fruity Loops 3.0 program.:(

Fellow mates:)

Care to share your plans for the weekend? Its Friday evening, I am at home, kids are out/away for weekend, I have a glass of red wine in my hand as we speak and have a smile on my face:)

Bit of recording ahead, some gear shopping to look forward to and some drinking/sport.:D

I love life:rolleyes:

It's Labor Day weekend in the States. That means we have Monday off; however, I also took off today for a four day weekend. :)

I also have plans for some wine tonight. A full-throated, snappy little Cabernet with hints of vanilla and pepper (yeah, like I could tell anyway. It doesn't spend enough time in my mouth for those types of analyses.)

"Me band lads" should be over a bit later. We'll probably just do some rehersal. I don't think we have anything ready to record (but enough wine might convince me otherwise).

Monday I have to drive my son back to his college (which is only an hour away). It's nice to know he remembers me occasionally (usually about the time his wallet hits empty).

I'm still toying with the idea of a new guitar. So maybe I'll go shopping too. I looked at some Taylors and Martins last week. I tended to like the Martins better, but I think one of you told me they are "boomy" when recording. I could see how that could happen from listening to it. They had another brand I had never heard of - Takome, or something like that (shows how long it's been since I shopped guitars). Anyone ever hear of them?

Enjoy the weekend, Paul, and happy holiday to my other ADD friends.

dachay2tnr said:
It's Labor Day weekend in the States. That means we have Monday off; however, I also took off today for a four day weekend. :)

...yeah, I could tell....

I sent you the last horn part last night to your work thinking you might not make it in.

It's probably not worth tying up your phone line for 3 hours (5 meg), but hopefully you can use it.

Paul/Mike,
I'll be saving my drinking for tomorrow as my friend's East Coast wedding reception (remember I was in Colorado a few weeks back for the first one) and I'm sure I'll partake a bit. Big lobster bake planned...

I was also invited to sit in on (observe) a session at another friend's fulltime working studio. I have a piece of vintage gear he needed for the session, so I may go by. He has a full blown Pro-tools TDM setup and a 24-track 2" tape machine. As well as numerous high end mics & pres.........ga ga.

ChuckU said:

I sent you the last horn part last night to your work thinking you might not make it in.

It's probably not worth tying up your phone line for 3 hours (5 meg), but hopefully you can use it.
Thanks, Chuck. Didn't that happen the last time you sent the files also? As I told you, I thought they were fine as is, but this will probably make it even better.

I should have some time today or tomorrow to download it. I have been staying away from the mix for the past week or so to get some distance and perspective - so this should give me the impetus to load it up again. I've managed to get a better "blend" on the vocals, but I'm still not happy with the way they "sit" in the mix. Sure wish I was smarter about this stuff so that I knew why and could just fix it. Instead, it'll be trial and error.

I'll be saving my drinking for tomorrow
BTW, I didn't realize we had to ration our drinking. Silly me, I thought I would go ahead and drink last night AND tonight. :) Have fun at the reception - sounds like it'll be a good time. Drummers usually know how to party.

Mike wrote:

I also have plans for some wine tonight. A full-throated, snappy little Cabernet with hints of vanilla and pepper (yeah, like I could tell anyway. It doesn't spend enough time in my mouth for those types of analyses
:D

Is it wet, does it contain alcohol..mmmmm...fine!
Monday I have to drive my son back to his college (which is only an hour away). It's nice to know he remembers me occasionally (usually about the time his wallet hits empty).

I have an older daughter like that. And a Younger one too. Thinking about it, my wife is like it as well:D

I tended to like the Martins better, but I think one of you told me they are "boomy" when recording
It was me, and they are "boomy". Track down Blue Bear in the recording techniques forum and ask him fior his experiences with recording Martins. He sends bands away from his pro recording studio to buy cheap acoustics cos Martins are so difficult. The Taylors "ring" more.

Are you thinking about a Takamine? Not bad as long as you don't get a plastic backed one (But I do agree with Guy that for some purposes, the plastic backed ones are ideal).

Me band lads
Sounds like a good old England English expression:)

Chuck wrote:

I'll be saving my drinking for tomorrow as my friend's East Coast wedding reception (remember I was in Colorado a few weeks back for the first one) and I'm sure I'll partake a bit. Big lobster bake planned

Sounds bloody brilliant:D

I was also invited to sit in on (observe) a session at another friend's fulltime working studio. I have a piece of vintage gear he needed for the session, so I may go by. He has a full blown Pro-tools TDM setup and a 24-track 2" tape machine. As well as numerous high end mics & pres.........ga ga.

You jammy bastard (Jammy=lucky, bastard= er,.....son of a gun!)

Back to Mike:

Drummers usually know how to party

Absolute nutters, all of em.:D Wish I had a quid (quid=£pound sterling, about $1.6 US) for every time I had to drag my/our drummer out of a fight/bar/girls house/room/police station (delete as appropriate:D ) keep up with the drinking practise lads! Remember, practise makes perfect;)
Have a good holiday weekend. Cheers!

Back