DAW Users With ADD

Have'nt tried the Pod yet...

any version of it for that matter.I mainly go by the posts/reviews of people online.It seems pretty much like all of the modelers are usable.Behringer has a rack mount version of their V-amp coming out that looks to be pretty interesting and a shot across the bow for Line 6.
My plate is pretty full at the moment as I have Roland,Sansamp,Digitech and Cakewalk modelers,but you can never have enough colors on your palette.....

LATER!

Guy, the POD XT has got some great reviews here in the UK in SOS magazine, even says that DI'ing sounds reasonable, especially the non distortion patches, much better than the original POD. Something to put on my list for Fathers Day. But first, I am going to buy Kontakt:) Blew my mind!

Paul - you have got me really curious about Kontakt. I might just have to try the demo. FWIW, 8th Street Music (www.8thstreet.com) has it available for $299.00. Thye also offer free shipping on orders over $229.00 (although probably not to England :) )

I'm a little afraid to try the demo, as my head hurts just thinking about learning another piece of software (and my wallet hurts thinking about the $299.00).

I'm a little afraid to try the demo, as my head hurts just thinking about learning another piece of software (and my wallet hurts thinking about the $299.00).
Mike, compared to learning Sonar, this is a walk in the park, especially for someone with your skills and talent.

The demo sounds are exquisite, lush pads and great melody samples (I heard it in a shop). If you don't want to mess with envelopes and LFO's and all that stuff, you don't have to.

I would think that Giga studio and Kontakt are all you would ever need. I'll see if I can find the SOS magazine review of it anmd post you the URL.

BTW, back home and red wine in hand as I post:D Cheers!

Not sure I understand what this stuff does. Aren't Giga and Kontakt similar products (at least in what they can do)? Why would I need both?

Perhaps I should just stick with
1. plug mic into tape deck
2. press record
3. sing into mic

:D

Everytime I try and think "lush" I end up opening a bottle of wine. :D

BTW, I download the demo (17 megs :( ). Unfortunately it's on my laptop and I need it on my DAW. I have to figure out a way to link my laptop to my DAW. Someone told me I could connect them via their USB ports. Any of you ever done this? Does it work. I would hate to have to transfer 17 megs via floppy disc.

BTW, I don't really use pads in anything I do. However, realistic strings and horns would be well worth the $299.00.

Giga and Kontakt

Giga and Kontakt are both samplers but what seperates them from the rest is their disk streaming abilities.Disk streaming allows the sampler to use samples much larger than what can be stored in RAM by reading direct from disk.The downside is it requires more resources and attention from your CPU.
Giga if I'm not mistaken can allow up to eight "voices" or samples per note so you have all natural decays and velocities.Plus you can assign each note its own sample and avoid pitch stretching if you care to.With this much depth in sampling it's as close as you can get to the real thing,and if you're lazy plop one sample in the middle of the keyboard and assign it to the whole enchilada!Ta Da you've got a new instrument.I've monkeyed around trying to make a vocal patch and drum kits but as always.........

Kontakt working inside of Sonar instead of in spite of Sonar gives it a big upside.Word is though V-sampler3 will handle Giga files so that might be the one that gets my attention.

I'm off to read that review......

LATER!

"handles Giga files..."

Okay I read the review and this is what I've got to say....

MUST HAVE KONTAKT,MUST HAVE KONTAKT!!!!

Okay maybe it's not that bad,but that's the first software review I've read in awhile that actually made me want to buy it.It seems like most new software is the same ol,same ol with a new skin.

Works as a DXI
Handles Giga files
Comes with a generous supply of instruments(plus free legit ones available online)
Has disk streaming for kick @$$ sound baby!!!

It's gonna have to stand in line...........unless of course it goes on sale for a can't afford not to buy it price.

LATER!

Glad to hear you fellas agree with me....I was really blown away in the shop when I heard the range of stuff Kontakt could play. It also plays soundfonts. Its like Livesynth pro on steroids.
I still think maybe Giga has the edge on piano and "real" instruments though, but there again, I didn't hear anything other than ambient synths and pads on Kontakt. So that is why I would want both. As I have Giga 24, i'm half way there;)
If it makes you feel any better, its on sale here in the UK for around $500:eek:

Last night I came home and following a few posts on the BB's fixed my DAW. Its now rock solid. Later today I'll put it to the test loading Sonar with a few plug-ins to test its mettle. I'll report back.

Chuck, how did the showdown with management go?

Acidrock, how's your new job shaping up? Any better?

Dachay, any news on your boss catching a fatal disease?:D

Enjoy your Friday's!

Man, you guys are way ahead of me with this softsynth stuff.
Are you using them for drums, strings, or what?

My keyboard friend and I were trying to work out parts for "Does anybody really know what time it is" by Chicago. The intro has an array of major 13th chords that we couldn't figure out until we downloaded a midi file of the tune and my friend read the part off staff view in Sonar. Yet another cool use of Cakewalk products.

I used to be all over midi when I was only using the VS-880 for audio. I needed the tracks so drums, etc were midi, but I'm behind the curve these days.

Paul, the showdown was pretty lively but no real progress was made. The GM just sat there as people unloaded on him and the new policies. I'm starting to see how corporate takeovers work:
Instead of the big corporation pouring big money into your outfit, you just become another link in the food chain, as they pick you clean and make you pay tribute - like the mob. Sorry for the mixed metaphors...

BTW, Mike, check your PMs

Paul881 said:

Dachay, any news on your boss catching a fatal disease?:D
No such luck. I may have to talk to one of my acquaintances (Tommy Two Toes) about an alternate plan. :D

Good luck with the DAW. I curious as to how you know it's rock solid if you haven't loaded Sonar yet. :)

Sorry for any confusion Mike, Sonar is loaded up and working well....after I had to figure how to configure the delta 66 mixer again. I can use the waves reverb on one track which only used 16% CPU resource.:). More tests to follow.

BTW, tell Tommy two toes that I have a few missions for him over here too:D

Chuck, Guy showed me how to use VSC and Session Drummer which sounded better to my ears than the standar midi. I have a drum synth called DS 404 that was released with Future Music magazine here in the UK and that sounds fantastic. Triggered from either the k/board or SD.

For "real" instruments, some of the Giga stuff is awesome (so they should be for the price and resource)
whereas Kontakt is great for more out of this world synth stuff. Guy is the main man in this respect, I suspect he's a lot further up the road with all this synth stuff than us. But I aim to catch up real soon;)

Regarding takeovers, I have been involved in a few in my time, on both sides of the fence and your suspicions are quite correct. Its just all part of the food chain. From the tax man downwards.:( :eek:

Paul, I saw your post in the Cakewalk forum. I guess "rock-solid" is a moving target. :D

I agree, Guy is da man when it comes to samplers. My main use for midi these days has been bass. And having bought the Live Synth Pro recently, I am much happier with what I am getting. But, there is always the occasional need for strings, or horns, and I'm still struggling with that stuff. It could be that I just need better sound fonts, or better midi programming skills. For ex., I have no clue how to do a slide with a midi note.

Gotta run, boss just summoned me. :D

Paul, I saw your post in the Cakewalk forum. I guess "rock-solid" is a moving target.

Yeah, rofl.One day, one day. What I mean is that when playing back audio, I can twiddle with my reverb settings to my hearts content and it won't crash, stop or stutter. And at the lowest latency settings and using windows 98. My plan is to install win xp later and use the machine in a dual boot mode.

After all the work this afternoon to get my delta and mobo soundcard drivers to be seen by windows at the same time, I note with interest that I then disabled the Soundmax drivers "in this h/ware profile". So what have I gained?

Must go, my red wine called me:D

See my post in your thread in the Cakewalk forum.

Bottom line is with that machine you really should upgrade to WinXP (or even Win 2K). Why are you using Win98 anyway?

Bottom line is with that machine you really should upgrade to WinXP (or even Win 2K). Why are you using Win98 anyway?

Cos I (and my family) have a huge amount of legacy win98 software and a parallel scanner (unsupported by win xp) so I wanted to "prove" the system first before loading win xp. Its all part of the "Master Plan" for world domination.;)

Well what did you do with your old 'puter? Why not install the legacy stuff on that, and leave the new baby for recording.

My work is done here. 5:00. Time to pop the cork on that Cabernet that's been sitting on my counter all week. :D

I have no clue how to do a slide with a midi note.

Did you try portamento?

I really got to hear these "sound fonts" so I can hear what the quality is like.I'm betting they cant touch Giga or Kontakt though.Another plus is that large samples can include articulations such as slides,trills and rolls that a standard keyboard cannot emulate.
Once I downloaded a harp demo for Giga and it was so good that I could not buy it because from that point forward every song of mine would have harp in it!:rolleyes:
16% CPU for one instance of reverb on you new processor?!WOW,time to use the aux send.That had better be some g-o-o-d reverb.

LATER!

Back