DAW Users With ADD

So sorry to hear of your father's passing.:(
There are no ideal circumstances for something like this to happen,I hope things turn out as well as they can.

Of course this means changes for Mom, since some of his pension income will cease, and my mother will have a reduced monthly income. As it appears now, we will probably have to sell her house and she will move in with my sister. A little rough for both of them, but at least she will have someone around.
I've been trying to wake my wife up to this,her SS will be only 2/3 of mine and she'll only get half of my Carpenters pension.My wife says I'm too obsessive about money lately,but at my age what else is there to obsess about?:confused:

Better days are coming,

Guy.

but at my age what else is there to obsess about?:confused:

Having a good life man....keep an eye on the finances, but don't shortchange yourself in the process. I've seen quite a few people work until the day they die, and miss out on everything...

Having a good life man....keep an eye on the finances, but don't shortchange yourself in the process. I've seen quite a few people work until the day they die, and miss out on everything...

I save because as much as I hate work now I'm really not going to like it in ten or twenty years from now.I'm seeing lots of people who are living large now,but will never be able to retire because of their spending habits and God forbid they should ever be hit with an emergency.
If I play my cards right I might be able to do something I enjoy for a living in a few years instead of being a door monkey.

I save because as much as I hate work now I'm really not going to like it in ten or twenty years from now.I'm seeing lots of people who are living large now,but will never be able to retire because of their spending habits and God forbid they should ever be hit with an emergency.
If I play my cards right I might be able to do something I enjoy for a living in a few years instead of being a door monkey.

That's being smart....most of my investments won't pay off until I sell something, so need to be careful until I'm older.....but I'm fortunate to be able to do what I want right now.

Thanks, men. I appreciate the thoughts.

I've been trying to wake my wife up to this,her SS will be only 2/3 of mine and she'll only get half of my Carpenters pension.My wife says I'm too obsessive about money lately,but at my age what else is there to obsess about?:confused:
The way SS seems to work is that you will get both pensions while you are both alive. When one dies, you get the higher of the two pensions, but lose the second one.

My mother and father are like you're case. My mom was getting about 1/2 of what my dad was getting. So now she'll get his pension, and lose hers - so she'll end up with about 2/3's of their combined income.

Worse is that he had a company pension, but did not elect to take the surviving spouse option. If he had, the pension would have been a little smaller, but would have lasted until both of them died. As it is, it will now stop. :mad:

There was a little insurance, but after the funeral expenses and after she pays some of the medical bills he ran up, there won't be much left for my mother to keep.

I guess we (the kids) should have been involved in their finances before now. However, no matter how old you are, it is difficult to talk to your parents about their money. :(

I've asked mine a few questions about their finances...we've already been through the ugly side when my wifes parents died...I told my parents we wouldn't go through the same thing. We built them a house, on our land, and want no part of fights...we told them to have everything in order so as to avoid this. We hope it works.

Hey Dogman, sounds like you have this parental finance thingy pretty sussed out;)

My parents have their own home and a UK state pension (@$300 a week:() which will reduce by 40% if either of them dies. My Dad also has an annuity which reverts to a lump sum if he dies. Mom has no other income but she could (and probably would) sell the family home and downsize to give her a nice income and reduced home maintenance hassle. They are pretty well set up and consult an independant financial advisor regularly to get the best advice possible for their monies.

However, if my Mom goes first, my Dad could not survive on his own so its either live with my Brother in the USA (unlikely to be allowed by the US authorities) or with us. Wifey has already said "no" to that - he is so repetitive and forgetful as to drive us both up the wall and back down again as well as being a danger to himself and others. So for him as the survivor, it looks like a residential home would be best for all concerned.:( I hope for everyones sake that he goes first.

Sad thing is to know that one day, our daughters will be having this same conversation:(

With 7 to 12 years left before I retire, my finances are getting a lot of focus right now. Until our youngest daughter leaves University in 2010 we have to pay her fees but then we can increase our savings and pension contributions considerably. However, in the interim, we are increasing our investments everywhere we can. I want as comfortable retirement as possible, not on the poverty line.;) How else am I going to buy gear:confused:

Hey Dogman, sounds like you have this parental finance thingy pretty sussed out;)

Man, I wish....I'm sure when they are gone, there will be a huge shitstorm over stuff...it seems to be pretty commonplace these days...:rolleyes:

As far as your Dad, why wouldn't he be able to live in teh US with your brother? I know nothing about these types of laws, but it seems he could come for an extended visit or something...:confused:

Finances are always a tough one..we've looked at many ways to try and ensure our financial well being for old age, and now you just hope they work out....

And it's snowing pretty hard right now, so we can't leave on our trip yet...I hope we don't have to cancel...:(

As far as your Dad, why wouldn't he be able to live in teh US with your brother? I know nothing about these types of laws, but it seems he could come for an extended visit or something...:confused:...:(
My Mom and Dad live in the USA about three months in the year staying with my brother but immigration rules may prevent anyone living in the US permanantly as a resident.

I love snow...it could stop me working anyday:D

Finances are always a tough one..we've looked at many ways to try and ensure our financial well being for old age, and now you just hope they work out....(

Yep, you don't know what to do for the best...spend it all and have a great life and then be impoverished during your retirement or save like crazy and then die the day after you retire:(

Whatever you decide you know darn well it will be the wrong choice:(

:)

How do you know they aren't already. :D

Not whilst we are funding their lifestyle they aren't;) And they can only gain access to our estate fully when they turn 25 and even then its in a trust fund with a board of trustees to plead to:)

Wifey and I have what is known in the UK as a "living will" which is complex to set up but once in place it allows us to easily make changes to the terms and conditions just by writing a letter.;) That at least guarantees us decent Christmas presents:D

Wifey and I have what is known in the UK as a "living will" which is complex to set up but once in place it allows us to easily make changes to the terms and conditions just by writing a letter.;) That at least guarantees us decent Christmas presents:D
There might not be any $$$ left if you keep on vacationing the way do!

There's no money to speak of in my family,if someone dies the controversy will be who's gonna pay for it!:eek:

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYBODY!!!!!
I was very tempted to call in today,my back is tender,but I'm going to rough it and then be a bum for four days.Dear God just get me through the day....

LATER!!!!!

There might not be any $$$ left if you keep on vacationing the way do!

There's no money to speak of in my family,if someone dies the controversy will be who's gonna pay for it!:eek:

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYBODY!!!!!
I was very tempted to call in today,my back is tender,but I'm going to rough it and then be a bum for four days.Dear God just get me through the day....
LATER!!!!!

I don't know what you have been smoking, but I want some :D

I don't know what you have been smoking, but I want some :D
It's a four day weekend in the states. The one where we celebrate the looting and plundering of the native americans. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

We scattered my father's ashes at sea yesterday. It was as per his wishes. Of course the ocean didn't cooperate, and we had several guests who were turning green and hugging the railings. It was rough enough that there were a few moments I was afraid someone was going to follow Dad over the side. :(

It's a four day weekend in the states. The one where we celebrate the looting and plundering of the native americans. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

We scattered my father's ashes at sea yesterday. It was as per his wishes. Of course the ocean didn't cooperate, and we had several guests who were turning green and hugging the railings. It was rough enough that there were a few moments I was afraid someone was going to follow Dad over the side. :(

Gosh, that was quick. I was thinking maybe a funeral next week sometime.

Was your dad a sailor or did he just love the sea?

He was in the Navy during WWII. For some reason it was an important part of him, even though it was over 60 years ago. :confused:

My Dad was in the Royal Air Force in WWII and can recall events that happened to him at the time with tremendous clarity but can't remember what he had for breakfast this morning:)

I have told my wife that when I die I am coming back to haunt her by standing at the foot of the bed and shaking the bed posts:eek: A bit like I do now:D

With the emphasis on the bit:o

Back