DAW Users With ADD

Paul881 said:
Plantar fasciitis The most common foot complaint, mostly of people who are on their feet all day, like Policemen but also of atheletes - so Mike and I have no worries at all of ever getting it
No, but rectal faciitis is always a possibility. :o

Guy, this is probably an old wife's tale, but I have heard that giving away all your guitars, sample discs, and your copy of Sonar 6, to a good and trusted friend has often worked to cure this dreaded disease. While not proven, it is believed that the emotional parting with these items causes your brain to release chemicals into your system which can actually counteract the plantar faciitis.

Let me know if you need my address. Only too glad to help out a friend. ;)

Dogman said:
I love this one man.... :D

Thanks Dogperson,I'll send you the check later.

Guy, this is probably an old wife's tale, but I have heard that giving away all your guitars, sample discs, and your copy of Sonar 6, to a good and trusted friend has often worked to cure this dreaded disease. While not proven, it is believed that the emotional parting with these items causes your brain to release chemicals into your system which can actually counteract the plantar faciitis.

Let me know if you need my address. Only too glad to help out a friend
But shouldn't I really be giving them to someone who knows how to use them? :confused: :p

LATER!!!

dachay2tnr said:
No, but rectal faciitis is always a possibility. :o ;)
My staff think I am a real "rectal faciitis". ;) I told em all today that I am going on holiday tomorrow until 2nd January(ish) and when I get back, all the problems had better be sorted :eek:

Otherwise, the floggings will continue until morale improves :(

Only joking, I love em all really :D

BTW, I saw the poor guys in the staff restaurant today with the Packers security lanyards. I told the catering manager to ban them in future :rolleyes: :) :p

You can always rely on me to do the right thing :eek:
:)

Last edited:
Paul881 said:
BTW, I saw the poor guys in the staff restaurant today with the Packers security lanyards.
Apparently they haven't been following the success of the team too closely. ;)

And they don't even have sausage races to entertain the fans.

dachay2tnr said:
Apparently they haven't been following the success of the team too closely. ;)

I remember a comment about expectations being higher in your neck of the woods earlier in the year,I guess you were right,I mean after all you do have one more win than we do. :rolleyes: If only youse guys had Garcia instead of Manning..... :p

Paul881 said:
BTW, I saw the poor guys in the staff restaurant today with the Packers security lanyards. I told the catering manager to ban them in future :rolleyes: :) :p

Well,they would've had Aston Villa lanyards,but the pink clashed with their outfits. :p

acidrock said:
Chuck's soundcard
So we know you sold them and you're getting a new one,the question is why? :confused:
Well, one of my big fears when recording other people is not having a relable backup PC. If one crashes, I can just plug into the backup (in theory). While I do currently have a backup PC, it's a 1Ghz which is kind of entry level these days. I've been looking at upgrading and many of the new ones have only 2 or less PCI slots. This scares me as I've been hearing that PCI is getting phased out (and all you have to do is look at the shrinking variety of PCI-based hardware in our hobby). So, despite the fact that the Deltas have been rock-solid, I wanted to get rid of them while they still had value (see VS-880). I may be jumping the gun, but I'm going to take my time before choosing the right firewire hardware. Stay tuned! :)

ChuckU said:
Well, one of my big fears when recording other people is not having a relable backup PC. If one crashes, I can just plug into the backup (in theory). While I do currently have a backup PC, it's a 1Ghz which is kind of entry level these days. I've been looking at upgrading and many of the new ones have only 2 or less PCI slots. This scares me as I've been hearing that PCI is getting phased out (and all you have to do is look at the shrinking variety of PCI-based hardware in our hobby). So, despite the fact that the Deltas have been rock-solid, I wanted to get rid of them while they still had value (see VS-880). I may be jumping the gun, but I'm going to take my time before choosing the right firewire hardware. Stay tuned! :)

You're making me feel real good about my UAD-1's :eek:

My current rig has more power than I really need and I'm hoping I can keep it running for a long time(crosses fingers).

As far as backups,if I were to lose all my data,that might actually be a good thing. :o

ChuckU said:
I've been looking at upgrading and many of the new ones have only 2 or less PCI slots.
Two Delta cards, two PCI slots. Where's the problem? :confused: :)

I noticed the shrinking PCI slots as well. But with PCIexpress and AGP graphic cards, no dial-up modem, ethernet on the mobo, etc., there's not a lot of need for them anymore except for sound cards.

Paul881 said:
I told em all today that I am going on holiday tomorrow until 2nd January(ish) and when I get back, all the problems had better be sorted :eek:
I'm sure they will be. Your office will most likely have someone else moved into it. Problem solved. :p

dachay2tnr said:
Two Delta cards, two PCI slots. Where's the problem? :confused: :)

I noticed the shrinking PCI slots as well. But with PCIexpress and AGP graphic cards, no dial-up modem, ethernet on the mobo, etc., there's not a lot of need for them anymore except for sound cards.

Aren't there external units(chassis?) that can add pci slots to a computer?I seem to recall talk of such things on the UAD forums.

acidrock said:
I wonder what that does to throughput?? :confused:

I checked out the Magma 7 they were talking about, and it looks like it is a 7 bay expander that plugs into an available PCI on the computer. That's 7 PCI devices going into a single PCI slot. Seems like asking for a problem to me, since some people already problems when PCI slots share an IRQ.

OTOH, the guys in that thread seem to all say it works fine. However, it appears they are using it for UAD cards. Not sure the results would be the same for a sound card.

dachay2tnr said:
I'm sure they will be. Your office will most likely have someone else moved into it. Problem solved. :p

I hope so - under current European and UK employment legislation they would have to compensate me for loss of office. :eek: ;)

Heads I win, tails I ....er.....well....I win again :D

:rolleyes:

It was a pretty good day....

Work
It rained all day and the barn was about 1000 ft off the road,The path to it was pure mud with a stream of unknown depth crossing it about two thirds of the way down.At the end of my day all tools,cords,ladders and myself were thoroughly coated with mud.

But you know what?

I didn't get stuck either way,and that unto itself was a small miracle.It kind of gave me a little better attitude about the whole thing.

Better yet....

Big boy toys
My Christmas presents arrived today,I have now been promoted from "really cool" to "way cool",try to keep up slackers. :p

I will load them up and check them out them during...

The Packer game
Played in the rain and December cold at night,time to give the Viqueens a taste of the great outdoors baby.

and finally...

Xmas
My brother called me up this week and announced that the date of the family Christmas get together has changed to the same date as my wife's family,so I won't be going.
This is a good thing. :D :cool:
When my family is together drinking,it's like being stuck in a Jerry Springer show marathon. :( :rolleyes:
You can take the trash out of the trailer,but you can't take the trailer out of the trash. :rolleyes:

LATER!!!

Paul881 said:
I hope so - under current European and UK employment legislation they would have to compensate me for loss of office. :eek: ;)

Heads I win, tails I ....er.....well....I win again :D

:rolleyes:
I'm moving to Europe,where is it? :confused:

dachay2tnr said:
I wonder what that does to throughput?? :confused:

I checked out the Magma 7 they were talking about, and it looks like it is a 7 bay expander that plugs into an available PCI on the computer. That's 7 PCI devices going into a single PCI slot. Seems like asking for a problem to me, since some people already problems when PCI slots share an IRQ.

OTOH, the guys in that thread seem to all say it works fine. However, it appears they are using it for UAD cards. Not sure the results would be the same for a sound card.

The Uad-1s can be on the same irq,but shouldn't share with anything else.
Each card has it's own built in processor to offload CPU from the DAW,but can't share power with other cards.For instance if a card is at 95% it can't roll the last 5% over to the next card.

You can buy a software license that will enable up to four cards to run a plug,but no more,even though you can run more than four cards.

The one guy said he was running seven cards,that's got to be a shitload of processing going on. :eek:

My question is,can't two soundcards share the same IRQ?Chances are it's a master slave clock kind of deal,and they're doing the same thing? :confused:

Back