Cubase sx3,ticked 'run asio in background'then unticked,no sound??

robbocop

Can't understand why i did this but all i did was ticked the box to enable the asio driver to work in the background,then about 3 seconds later i decided i wouldn't bother,i've done without the option for three years why bother.Since i done this i can't get a sound out of Cubase lol!That's all i did,ticked the box,then unticked it.If i strum my guitar i see the input signal showing in the mixer,but no sound is coming out!My windows media player is fine,plays songs perfectly so the soundcard is ok(M-audio 2496).I've tried reinstalling the sound card drivers,and even uninstalling Cubase and reinstalling that but no difference,this is driving me mad!Anyone any ideas?When i go into the Windows XP sound properties it's all greyed out,i can't chose 'advanced' and the volume fader is greyed out also and is at '0'.

Maybe im not explaining this correctly,in Cubase sx3 i pressed the 'Devices' tab at the top of the Cubase screen,then 'Device setup',then 'VST Multitrack'.Then i ticked the 'Release ASIO driver in Background'.I then decided i don't really need to do this so i unticked the box,now i get no sound out of Cubase!!

Hhhheeeeelllooooooo!!!!is there anybody thereeeeeeeeee???

I use Cubase on a Mac, and know what you're talking about but can't see any "normal" reason why that would happen. Some help. :(

I've phoned Steinberg a few times for their free help for registered users and depending on who you get they might be able to help.

Maybe im not explaining this correctly,in Cubase sx3 i pressed the 'Devices' tab at the top of the Cubase screen,then 'Device setup',then 'VST Multitrack'.Then i ticked the 'Release ASIO driver in Background'.I then decided i don't really need to do this so i unticked the box,now i get no sound out of Cubase!!
What other audio applications are you running on your computer? Cubase generally takes control of your audio hardware but you may have released your driver to another application.

Your audio hardware needs a multi-client driver to run other audio applications simultaneously with Cubase. If you a single client you can use Rewire to share resources like Live, Reason, Sonar 3, Acid 5, etc.

For other types of audio software you have to choose Cubase as your default sequencer from within the application.

I only use the card for Cubase and playing songs through Windows media player,that's it!Never had any bother with the card's ASIO drivers before,it didn't take much for my whole pC to become unstable,just ticking and unticking that option in Cubase!My pc wouldn't even boot up!I actually took the card out and put it in another pc slot,then it booted to Windows.The directx asio and the other asio in Cubase(the ones with the bad latency)work fine?

I don't know what's causing this but you might want to check out your monitoring preferences. Maybe you unchecked something without realizing it.

For monitoring through Cubase select preferences in the file menu. Select the VST at the bottom of the list on the left. In the right section select one of the four monitoring options and then apply.
MANUAL lets you switch to input monitoring by pressing the Monitor button in the track's channel mixer. When the button is active signals coming into Cubase are monitored through the mixer panel and then out to the output bus.
WHILE RECORD ENABLED switches the channel to input monitoring when you hit the record enable button for the channel.
WHILE RECORD RUNNING switches all the record enabled channels into input monitoring when you hit the record button on the transport panel.
TAPE MACHINE STYLE switches a selected audio track into input monitoring automatically when recording or when the project is stopped but will revert to output monitoring when you press play.

If you do direct monitoring (for minimal latency) select the Device setup option from the devices menu, select VST Audiobay and check the Direct Monitoring Option in the VST Audiobay properties and then apply.

You might have to re-install your soundcard drivers now that you moved it. You should go to the M-Audio site and update all your drivers. I'm not familiar with theirs but sometimes you need to unistall your old drivers before you can install new ones.

If you do direct monitoring (for minimal latency) select the Device setup option from the devices menu, select VST Audiobay and check the Direct Monitoring Option in the VST Audiobay properties and then apply.

You might have to re-install your soundcard drivers now that you moved it. You should go to the M-Audio site and update all your drivers. I'm not familiar with theirs but sometimes you need to unistall your old drivers before you can install new ones.
I tried the few other options in 'Preferences' but no luck,The Direct monitoring option is the one i always have picked.I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers a few times(you have to uninstall first before installing)but the PC doesn't like this at all for some reason.I updated to service pack 3 recently but the new drivers i installed from m-audio are meant to be fine with sp3.I'll try installing the drivers again and see what happens,was lucky to get my PC back last time i tried this lol.What seems to happen is when installing the drivers at the point it tells you half way through to switch the PC off,windows is meant to install the driver you're half way through,but it just installs an older driver?

Last edited:
Back