Cost per hour of the average studio

:eek:

$145,000 a year profit?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS

Have you ever even seen a peice of recording equipment? Do you know what the power button does?

Unless you know Butch Vig personally, I don't think you can turn that type of profit. Especially with a overhead of $230k.

I will admit, I have not studied up on owning a studio for commercial business, but here in AZ, we only have one or two that could even be seen on the same level as one that is backed by major labels. ...and the guys who own them made their cash in Hollywood FIRST.

LocusLarsen said:
:eek:

$145,000 a year profit?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS

Have you ever even seen a peice of recording equipment? Do you know what the power button does?

Unless you know Butch Vig personally, I don't think you can turn that type of profit. Especially with a overhead of $230k.

I will admit, I have not studied up on owning a studio for commercial business, but here in AZ, we only have one or two that could even be seen on the same level as one that is backed by major labels. ...and the guys who own them made their cash in Hollywood FIRST.

that overhead includes paying all my employees and everything. oh wiat i think i misinterpretted this. so basically, there's no profit to be made in the recording studio business is what you're sayin? i find that difficult to believe. if it's true, fuck this. i need to be somewhere else. i guess i dont understand why you would open a studio with no intentions of making money. and if this is true, why the fuck are you people givng me such a bad time? lol im confused.

blue - i think i really am nuts. not skitzophranic (or however you spell it), but not all there. seriously, i think i need to see a shrink. i am very smart. i know thats not very modest but i really think im too smart for my own good. i warp things around.

Wow

1. I've taken numerous REAL IQ tests....the above link is not one...or even close. You remind me of a student of mine who acted very similar, and thought that the "Doctorate of Divinity" degree he earned in 1 night online made him qualified to be called "Dr. Jon"...and he was serious.

2. Don't take the harshness from everyone on here too seriously. I can say from my degrees in Information systems, and a Masters in Business that Michaels #'s are accurate (though, like he said, quite on the low side), and that he's not trying to mess with your head.

3. Yes, money can be made from recording. I do quite well enough running two small commercial facilities, and freelance consulting/engineering at 2 others. Bite off smaller #'s, take a couple classes in business and accounting, REALLY research what kind of studios your market needs and will support, and go in that direction. Don't make the fools mistake of building the $350g studio in the 60k population town...it just won't happen (especially if there are smaller, smarter studios with the established client list).

Tyler, It's a big step when you can just admit that you don't know something as well as you thought you did, and learn from someone else...Shoot I teach recording and video production at the college level, and it's a pill I have to swallow on a REGULAR basis. We're all human, and crazy or not, this could be a valuable lesson learned cheap, and with very little humiliation...And ask anyone, most of the really important lessons don't let you off that easily.
Sincerely,
Adan

tyler657recpro said:
i am very smart.
From your posts, I have yet to see any evidence of that....

...i really think im too smart for my own good.
That expression really means "you only THINK you're smart, but in actuality...." This, I believe, is closer to the truth........

:rolleyes:

Exactly where does a child go to get a $350,000 loan? I'd just like to know because they should float me at least a million.:D

But really though, where are you going to get this kind of money? Most people have to get a job first. A high paying job would be best. These kind of jobs usually require some kind of education. A degree program perhaps? So at best, avoiding any unplanned pregnancies or college drug dependancies you should be ready for the work force in 7 years. Give another few years hoping from job to job trying to find a place that can tolerate you and your looking at 10 years. Try coming back then and asking your question.:D

tyler657recpro said:
so basically, there's no profit to be made in the recording studio business is what you're sayin? i find that difficult to believe. if it's true, fuck this. i need to be somewhere else. i guess i dont understand why you would open a studio with no intentions of making money. and if this is true, why the fuck are you people givng me such a bad time? lol im confused.

DING DING DING

If you want to make money then get into the software or medical business and stay of out of entertainment.

Most financially successfull studios are owned by corporations who also own labels or by people who have been in the industry for decades and have plenty of experience and contacts. It is possible to start small and succeed but starting big and expecting to stay in business is pretty wreckless.

Most financially unsuccessfull studios are owned by people who don't depend on it for their income and just it do for the fun or bragging rights.

We are giving you such a bad time because by all appearances you are an asshole.

TexRoadkill said:
We are giving you such a bad time because by all appearances you are an asshole.

Ouch! Don't be so harsh.....he is just a kid causing trouble on the internet. That doesn't make him an asshole. Well, maybe...........................:rolleyes:

Tyler,
I just wanted to thank you! I've been raking my brain trying to figure out how to make it in the business. After reading this thread, You've enlightened me on how to construct a business plan (you don't mind if I copy you do you? ;) .

I had no idea that running a studio was so easy! Damn..... If I quit my job now and start running my studio (using your plan thank you very much!), I'll be making doublw what I'm making now!

Thank you! :rolleyes:

I don’t know how many of you are still around in here, but I was curious if homerecording.com was still around and if my old account was still active. Alas, it would appear that it is alive and well, and my superior teenage business prowess and all your hilarious reactions to it are still here as well. This old thread definitely gave me a few laughs along with a lot of cringe haha

I think your twenty year old question has been repeated many times - but now, how many 350K studios even exist. in 2003, only the lucky few had decent studios to work in. Good to see you back!

I read your thread while watching the morning news, and wondered how your studio is doing after all these years. At least you were dreaming big... there are just as many threads asking how to get professional recordings with a $30 USB mic.

Back