Construction has began....

thajeremy

registered abuser
I have had my entire back yard "re-did"....actually had a dozer come in and grade my yard to accomodate a 24 X 36 Concrete block building....I poured the footing 16 inches wide and 10 inches deep and have run one course of blocks. This course will act as the framing for the concrete floor. I hope to have the floor poured tomorrow if the rain isnt too bad tonight. Im planning on at least an 8 ft ceiling...I know the higher the better....Ill just see how many more courses I can afford after we hit 8 ft...even one more will make a big differance. Im planning on one enterance....a 6ft double door. I will have a 1/2 bath, a control room, live room and booth....I will attach my floor plans and if you guys have any recommendations, please have at it... The dotted lines are not walls...just added to show deminsions....also, the area at on the left is just storage area....this was not originally the plan but had to save some room for storage to apease the spousal unit....

Attachments

• studio plans4-23.jpg
    studio plans4-23.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 158
Man, that looks awesome! I'm in the throes of studio construction myself--so I can relate. But I must admit--I'm a bit jealous of your project!

Man, that looks awesome! I'm in the throes of studio construction myself--so I can relate. But I must admit--I'm a bit jealous of your project!

thanks man....If everything goes according to plan today, Ill get a few pix...the walls should start going up next week....that should take 3 to 4 days...then the roof another week, and ill be all dried in by mid june....

Do yourself a favor and design the CR long ways. Or make the back wall very dead. The clients on that couch are going to be feeling a lot of bass and boom standing waves if you've got it right up against the back wall.

Atleast you've got the desk near the middle of the room...Thats a good start. Try to get that couch off the back wall and equivalent to the distance the desk is from the wall (you'll have to put the desk closer to the wall)...but take my word for it that will be an ugly place to hear things from on the couch.

Take room modes and the golden ratio into consideration, although angled walls do spread out modes. Make your ceilings as dead as possible all around. Lots of absorption in the corners. You'll be fine

my 2 cents,

:)

the pad is poured now and im considering several other sets of floor plans....the bathroom will have to stay put since the plumming is all in but everything else is fair game...between the 2....what ya'll thinkin???

Attachments

• 6-11-10.jpg
    6-11-10.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 103
the pad is poured now and im considering several other sets of floor plans....the bathroom will have to stay put since the plumming is all in but everything else is fair game...between the 2....what ya'll thinkin???

That one looks great

the bathroom will have to stay put since the plumming is all in but everything else is fair game...between the 2....what ya'll thinkin???
You mean to say you had this project PLUMBED and the pad poured BEFORE you had the final design down? hmmm, did someone mention hindsight is 20/20? I wonder what BID will have to say come inspection time...er...you DID apply for a permit didn't you?:eek:

well...My first picture was my original plan....and at this point, it still is the plan....Im just having the building dried in....walls and roof....and Im going to work on the insides as I can.....Im sure there are plenty of ways to set up the inside with the bathroom set where it is.....what are your Ideas Rick???

:eek: OMG. A good start for what? Putting your head in a first harmonic null? geeeezus, thats a new one on me.:confused:

It's clear to me that all of your comments are based solely on theory rather than experience and practical application like many that frequent message boards.

I'm willing to place a bet on at least one of the following:

1. You are not a musician.

2. You do not run a studio.

3. You have very little to no experience recording or mixing.

4. If you do run a studio everything you have recorded blows.

5. You're very lonely, bitter and bored.

6. You have more knowledge than experience.

Infact, It's clear to me that you have more knowledge than experience because if you had more experience in the field, many of these ill-informed opinions you keep stating would no longer hold any water. I was once just like you; when I was 15. Please stop being so arrogant.

Last edited:
icon14.gif

And I'm willing to bet you got at least 4 out of 6 right! :D

Im sure there are plenty of ways to set up the inside with the bathroom set where it is.....

You mention bathroom, control room, live room and iso-booth...but what are the other smaller spaces for?

If it was me...I would focus on two main rooms (basically)....and then and then add the iso-booth in the live room where it feels right, depending on how big you want it (and how much live room space you want to chew up).

Here's a rough idea...you can adjust the dimensions according to whatever works best acoustically...but man, since you are building this from the ground up, IMO...an 8' ceiling would totally SUCK! Go for at least a 12' ceiling height...you will be glad you did…maybe even some sort of vaulted ceiling rather than flat.

StudioPlans.jpg

Not sure why you need 6’ double doors? I would just get single extra wide doors.
The foyer would double as a coat room and extra insulator from the outside and your control room so people don’t just walk right into the control room.
You can then treat the spaces as needed...like angling off the corners or whatever...but I’m not sure you need all those very “odd shaped angular rooms” like you had in your layouts.

I understand that acoustics are important...but so is working space, ergonomics and overall comfort and vibe. ;)

It's clear to me that all of your comments are based solely on theory rather than experience and practical application like many that frequent message boards.

I'm willing to place a bet on at least one of the following:

1. You are not a musician.

2. You do not run a studio.

3. You have very little to no experience recording or mixing.

4. If you do run a studio everything you have recorded blows.

5. You're very lonely, bitter and bored.

6. You have more knowledge than experience.

Infact, It's clear to me that you have more knowledge than experience because if you had more experience in the field, many of these ill-informed opinions you keep stating would no longer hold any water. I was once just like you; when I was 15. Please stop being so arrogant.

Lol. That psychotic batshit-crazy loon RICKFITZ is gonna pop a sphincter over this post. :laughings: :laughings:

icon14.gif

And I'm willing to bet you got at least 4 out of 6 right! :D

Lol. That psychotic batshit-crazy loon RICKFITZ is gonna pop a sphincter over this post. :laughings: :laughings:

Thank you. I would also like to point out that the only post "rick fistspatrick" made in this thread was to criticize a comment by a poster (me) that is actually trying to contribute to the thread and help this guy out. Once again, you have provided absolutely no contribution here and just like I said to you on the last post, get your ass out of here. You are not contributing anything but radical theoretical ideals that do not exist in almost any practical applications.

I did not bother to keep the fire going in the last post with this guy where I posted helpful information about my vocal booth I built for a few hundred dollars. The cliff notes version is, he said it was crap, I told him why it's not crap, then he comes back with his calculations from a room mode calculator telling me the modes in my vocal booth are bad, I already said that is irrelevant with my clients mouths on a sm7b and dynamics on a guitar amp...good lord

Based on that post he also seems to fail to comprehend the very simple and practical relationship between absorption and modes.

Heres the post.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=304965

As you were.

On the contrary. I know Fitz can be a bit blunt sometimes (all the time ;) ) but the guy knows his stuff.

I'm telling you this guy is full of knowledge and no experience and that gives him very little room to offer advice. I started studying recording at age 14 and by the time I was 18 I thought I knew everything too (I was even an arrogant poster on message boards with my knowledge advice like him) but when I actually got into running a studio and running recording sessions everything I thought I knew was thrown out the window. Knowledge is ok but experience is where it counts.

I don't like to argue or hurt anyone's feelings but he's really asking for it.

Just because I have the service manual for my car doesn't mean I'm qualified to work on it. I do small repairs and maintenance but I leave the major things to people that have experience. I think he'll wise up.

Last edited:
Back