Construction has began....

IMO...an 8' ceiling would totally SUCK! Go for at least a 12' ceiling height...you will be glad you did…maybe even some sort of vaulted ceiling rather than flat.

I've worked in rooms from basements with a 7ft ceiling to my warehouse with 14ft ceilings...I'd agree that somewhere around 10ft finished height would be about the least I'd like. Acoustically speaking I prefer a completely dead ceiling in both control and tracking rooms. With the said, if the absorption is done properly it will smooth out any poor modal response and I personally could actually make do with a 7ft finished ceiling height as long as the ceiling is dead as a zombie.

I'm not sure how you're going about building the studio but let me elaborate what I would do.

I would design it so I can frame the rooms into simple rectangles. Construction wise this is much easier than constructing around all the angles. I would take into consideration the ratio of the 3 dimensions of these spaces. The most ideal ratio is the golden ratio which is 1x1.61x.61 which would evenly spread out the 3 dimensions of the room but sometimes not practical. Main point is to think in thirds and to have the three dimensions as spread out as possible but not double of any dimension. Worst case scenario...10x10x10 or 10x10x20 foot room, best case scenario 10x17x27 (which is the golden ratio) etc....

After the shells are built then you can add angled walls to further spread out the room modes.

The floors would be floating framed on top of rubber (the only product I'd use from auralex is their "u-boats") either those or hockey pucks. The walls would be 2x4" staggered studs 24" on center either side (which would actually be 12" on center) with a 2x8" footer and header. a layer or two of 5/8" sheetrock on either side all the way around. The ceiling would also be constructed this same way. This would all be inside of another space. Also my control room and tracking room would be completely separate structures.

So in a nutshell my ideal studio would be a stock steel building on a concrete slab. Control room and tracking room floating inside not attached to the outside structure or each other. Floating floors on rubber with staggered stud walls and ceilings. Two doors back to back separating all spaces. Absorption and diffusion 2ft away from the outer shell all the way around. Dead ceilings.

Back