Connection Problem

StarMan

I just picked up a SM M-Patch 2 Passive Volume Controller. I have my interface Lexicon Lambda connected to my Alesis monitor speakers. Now the problem, I need to connect to MPatch to the Lexicon. The back of MPatch has XLR inputs while the inputs/outputs of Lexicon only has 1/4 jacks (these 1/4 jacks connect to the 1/4 jacks of Alesis), so my confusion is how do I connect the MPatch, what type of cables do I need to get?

The outputs of the Lambda are balanced 1/4", so a simple TRS to XLR-M cable is fine on that end. If the Alesis have balanced 1/4" input then XLR-F to TRS cables will do the trick. If the Alesis have unbalanced 1/4" inputs then it's time to look up Rane Note 110 and ponder your options.

Thanks Boulderman,

I have Alesis M1Active 520 USB monitor speakers. Pardon my ignorance but how do I tell if the 1/4" jacks are unbalanced/balanced? I do know they (the 2 1/4" jacks I currently have hooked up from the Line Outs of my Lambda to the 2 Inputs of my Alesis speakers) are balanced, but for my future reference, how do I work this out?

Thanks Boulderman,

I have Alesis M1Active 520 USB monitor speakers. Pardon my ignorance but how do I tell if the 1/4" jacks are unbalanced/balanced? I do know they (the 2 1/4" jacks I currently have hooked up from the Line Outs of my Lambda to the 2 Inputs of my Alesis speakers) are balanced, but for my future reference, how do I work this out?

It looks like the M-Patch 2 actually has combo XLR/TRS connectors on the inputs so you could use the cables Bouldesoundguy suggested or use TRS-TRS between the Lambda and M-Patch.

Your monitors also have TRS (balanced) inputs but the M-patch only has XLR outputs so you will need the XLR-TRS to make those connections

Thanks Boulderman,

What does the manual say?

>What does the manual say? <

Manual doesn't explain it, my question was how do I tell the difference between unbalanced and balanced jacks for any device.

You can find out by looking at the specification sheet for any given unit. If not in your manual, you can almost always find it online. Gotta love that internet thingamajig! :)

>What does the manual say? <

Manual doesn't explain it, my question was how do I tell the difference between unbalanced and balanced jacks for any device.

Plug a TRS-TRS cable into it and measure the resistance between the ring and sleeve. If it's very high it's a TRS jack. If it's very low it's a TS jack.

Back