Confessions of a M312b owner.

Hey Billy,

Glad to see your coming along with the recording/orientation process and seeing all the new possibilities!

As for your question;
So if I run my amps Headphone Out into a channels Line In will I destroy anything??
If the headphone is a mono out plug, you could try it at a low volume and plug the other end into the line input on the M312B but, I would stress the warning about keeping the volume low on the amp at first and dialing it up slowly until you get a respectable signal on the mixer at unity gain, ( channel fader at the hash marks & input trim for line input at 7 on the trim knob at the top of the input strip), again.

If the guitar amp's headphone jack is a stereo out plug design and you plug in a standard two conductor guitar cable, you will short out half the headphone amp circuit on the amp. Not good!

Better, still, try a cheaper DI box which has a 1/4 inch input and a balanced output and plug the balanced out of the DI box into the balanced mic input on the board and adjust the trim control for unity gain on the channel strip.

I picked up a DOD DI box for $20.00 a few years ago that sounds great and solved alot of problems I was having trying to record my Gibson SG and Electric bass guitar. Best 20 bucks I ever spent in the studio actually.

Once you do get the guitar amp situation straightened up with the longer cables needed to run it over to a padded closet or similar isolated environment, you will probably end up liking the mic'ed cabinet sound even better then the DI method.

I expect as well that the headphone out from the guitar amp won't sound very good and you might as well try just plugging in the guitar straight into the board as well as a test and forget about the headphone out.

Experiment and see!

Cheers! :)

GO CUBS!

Cool deal, thanks Ghost. (Hope your T day was nice man.)

I agree, I DO like the real sound and I swear I have NEVER had an easier time micing an amp in my life...it didn't even have to be really loud! I was shocked.
(I'm gonna get a J station (Hopefully) in a few weeks so I can do both and have a few tones maybe.

Let's Go Cubbies!
:)

Answers for the Gajillian Cubbie Points are as follows:

1. Belmont & Sheridan/Marine Drive

2. General Sheridan

3. We paint the horses balls the visiting team's colors.

I used to live across the street from this statue and found endless enjoyment in seeing tourists take photos of a bronze horses balls! LOL

Cubs NOW!

:(

I feel for ya!

I was amazed that the crowd didn't lynch the guys who grabbed the ball away from the outfielder!

Game 7 for sure!

Cubs all the way!!:)

It's okay we're pro losers, so if it doesn't happen there's always next century.

That fans life is soooooooooo messed up!
Can you imagine if it had been a celebrity sitting there that interfered with the catch?? Oooo LOL

GO CUBS!!

Hey Ghost let me ask you this...

1st off, can I double a track in bounce fashion? (I don't see why not, but I don't know.)

2nd, IF I can, does it have to be like 1-5 2-6 ect.?

I mean, I guess I can because somehow I DID do it on accident.
(See I had the bass part on 4, but I thought that I had a loose or bad cable, so I re-did it on 5, then somehow it ended up on 6 with a guitar part I put down.... Did I just have the wrong buttons pushed? )

GO CUBS

It sounds like you forgot to un-assign the previous track you recorded and as you were tracking the next one, the sound from the tape playback was fed again to the new track you were recording.

After you have finished a track, you must remember to un-assign it from the mixer's recording path and just listen to it through a cue mix or the stereo mix only.

The more you play with it, the more obvious these things will become to you. I have done the same mistake on more then one occasion so, don't feel bad.

Cool Thanks man.

I'm gonna mark it down as a happy accident, because I forgot I could bounce and it may come in handy if it's like two acoustic guitars or something that will basically share the same EQ settings at mix down.

So what do you use for drums?
A machine or internally sequencing in your keyboard?
(I just hate my key board drums now...I'm thinking my Boss will actually sound much better, but what a pain in the ass to program unless I can fire it's sounds off my sequencer.)

So what do you use for drums?

I have two different Yamaha keyboards and between the two of them, I have a couple of hundred patterns I can play with.

In some cases, I record a straight pattern to tape and augment it with live fills on a Roland Octopad and add the fills to a fresh set of tracks on the reel to reel.

In other cases, I use the fill patterns from the keyboards and try to assemble a live, one take track that has has a few variations and fills done in one take as I either hum the song to my self as I am doing the drums or when my friend Doug is over to record with me, he can play his bass part or guitar part and I play live on the keyboard's drum functions with him, to get the bed started.

I have also been experimenting with some drum loop stuff on my computer, where I have found a few neat sounding kits that I have to figure out how to use, which I am loath to do because of my dislike for computer based audio work and not wanting or having the space in my studio for a computer set up.

I guess what ever works best for you is the right answer here as a bottom line.

Yeah, I hear you... I myself don't really want to go with the PC based drum programing, but if i have to... :( I can.
I'll have to give that damned Boss a listen in the morning.

CUBS

Looks like (For what it's worth) My Boss Drum machine is gonna work out a lot better than my keyboard drums... Now for an evening of programming! :(

Ok Cubbie fans you know what to do.

Ok Cubbie fans you know what to do.

:( :( Cry?

Well, maybe next year?

I hope your drum programing goes well for You!:)

I lost my hard drive on my computer tonight!:mad:

A 60 gig barely over six months old.

I was so lucky to have a diagnostics warning from my motherboard that gave me a warning that it might fail last night and so I have been saving all the files off of it and an hour ago, it bought the farm.

Just in time, I saved 20 years worth of masters that were converted to wave files and mp3.

Have I mentioned lately, I hate computers?

(It's ok it's just another Cubs season here... We're used to it.)

Dude no way!
I couldn't handel a loss like that!! I would just give up!
Do you have a master disc of mixed down wav. and / or mp3's??
I almost lost all of my screenplays one time... I started melting down!! (Sometimes it's a year's worth of work in one file you know?) I backed all of that stuff up big time.
I just got my other crash box PC back for the third time, so man I hear you..., but damn, twenty years worth! There aren't even words for it.

I programmed one short tune into my Boss machine tonight...
It was it's typical pain in the ass AND pissed me off when I turned it on and realized leech boy let it go dead. (Wiping out the few songs I had programmed! SOBMF!)
Hopefully I'll get a tune done today!
I played a Bit O'Guitar today... It was a good thing AND it was weird, because I was so troubled over not being able to sing the tune (#6 on the disc) I'm trying to do, that I played it another way (Without the punk/polka beat) and realized I CAN sing it... Never had a beat mess with my singing before.

Be Cool Ghost

Well I used to jam with what we call a traveling freakshow and one of the attractions was 'Leech boy'. LOL

Leech boy is part of the 'Leech Children' that I (Up until recently) used to be in a band with. They were not so affectionetly deemed as such by Ghost I believe after I told the story of my relationship with them... The quick version is I did everything short of giving my blood for them from before they could even play an instrument and then (among other things) I was told I couldn't ask the drummer (Who I had brought into the fold after knowing for 15 years (They knew him for like two months) why exactally he was only showing up once a month for practices that took place three times a week! See, the guy that was previously on bass that I had known forever too was being a blow off, so he had to be given a choice of get it together or split... They didn't like him, so when he was a blow off, nothing personal, but see ya! But when it came to the other guy which they DID like (Who is best friends with the bassplayer) the same rules of get it together or quit wasting my time DIDN'T apply because they liked him.... Jam discipline is one thing, but I tend not to create sides between my friends, so when I said "Fuck that, it's good enough for him too" they freaked and I was informed It was THEIR band and not OUR band (After years of doing more than I care to list!), So, I said "Fuck this!" and I walked on that bullshit and they are forever to be known as the "Leech Chrildren."

I give you points for the use of Tarnation. LOL

STILL a Cub Fan!

I ALMOST did a whole tune. (Minus a lead guitar track with a part I have t remember again and some keeper vocals... I can now only sorta sing this one!)
I understand getting the unity level up front while tracking, but like do I want to pull everything (Channels & Returns) back a bit at mixdown and get the Master Out's at unity? (Because right now I can only get them (Masters) at like 5 before I'll start clipping.

Anyone care to explain??

Do you guys employ a seperate EQ post mixer and pre mixdown deck to pump it up even more??

(Man, despite my bunk drum machine and thin guitar tone, I can tell how BIG it COULD sound... I'm pretty impressed with the 38 and have cast off that weirdness of it being fragile I had before.)

Billy,

Why your master faders can't get much beyond 5 on the slider scale is because all the channels from the tape are cumulative in their sonic output and thus they send a very hot signal together to the master section.

A way to look at it is like looking or listening to a couple of people in a room talking at say 70db sound pressure and then put 10 people in the same room all talking and the db number will rise dramatically. Think of a noisy restaurant as an example.

If you really need the master faders to be at the hash marks for long slow, smooth fades, trim your mixes back one by one on the channel faders to keep everything as clean as possible. If the fader real-estate is not as critical, just keep the masters where they are and all should still be sounding fine.

As for the separate eq going to a master recorder, I would highly recommend AGAINST doing that as this will screw up everything you are mixing and adjusting for as you are tracking.

The better place for a master eq is in-between your mixer's main outs that lead to your monitoring system and use it there to eq the speakers to sound good with a wide variety of professionally done, store bought CDs of music you are really familiar with. If you can get an accurate speaker set-up, you will have solved one of the worlds great mysteries in getting your mixes to sound good and similar in spectral balance to the mainstream.

No problem and my pleasure to help!

I got a new hard drive for my computer today. Replaced a 6 month old, 60 gig with a new Western Digital 80 gig. I hope I have better luck with this one!!

Thank god my motherboard has a warning utility built in at boot up that warned me the drive was becoming unstable and to save all data to an alternate location.

One hour after I completed the back up, the drive went up in smoke. Luckily, empty with everything saved elsewhere!:)

Back