Confessions of a M312b owner.

Awesome!
Thanks Ghost.

Let's see a prize??
YES! It will seem like a prize to you when I stop asking thousands of questions! LOL

I just (A few minutes ago realized you emailed me, thanks again.) and I am full of coffee, so I wrote you back a ten minute read! LOL
Seriously, thanks for the listen and as always thanks for the help... I'm feeling pretty good about finally getting through the first stumbling block of understanding the very basics which will now allow me to (In time) begin getting the rest down.

IN OTHER NEWS:
I went through the cables I had and it turns out I have three
8X RCA "Snakes" and just one single cable is shot among them, but I have enough others to make up for what I need. This is good and will save me the cash I need to apply elsewhere (Like an inexpensive condenser mic, or some powered monitors or a little iso box to mic my amp in, or a million other things I want and need.)
so that is cool.

Thanks again for eveything.

Go Cubbies!
:)

Hey Ghost,

How do you guys record your guitar?
Direct, Mic/Amp or Direct cab simulator??

As you can clearly hear, that is one of the first sounds I have to learn to capture and I'm trying to think if I should build a iso box or just get a cab simulator you know?

Oh!

There is also a way to hook up the reverb in stereo for the feed of its inputs.

On each channel strip, use Aux 2 in the post position and feed its master output to the other channel on the verb's input and that way, along with the effect master out feeding the second input on the verb, you will obtain a stereo in and out of the reverb from every channel of the board's 12 strips.

To keep it logical in a visual way, use Aux 2 as the left feed to the verb and Effect as the right.

Cheers! :)

About recording electric guitars and basses, we use DI boxes only.

I have an old Traynor tube amp and cabinet but, it is so old and noisy that we rarely use it for that application but, I have seen so many people in the clinic touting it as the only way to go, that I might start playing with that method again.

All the acoustic guitars are mic'ed with a higher end studio condenser. An Audio Tecnica AT4033. It's a large diaphragm, $700.00 dollar microphone I bought new several years ago. I am sure on E-bay, they can be had for much less these days.:(

Last edited:
Ouch!

Having to think hurts, but it was worth it because now I basicly understand the verb paths!

Thanks Ghost

(I'm thinking of checking out one of those Johnson J-stations, but I'm not sure if they act as a DI as well.. I figure if I hate it I'll bring it back, get a distortion and build an iso box for the closet.)

I either plug the guitar directly into the board, or line out of an amp or pedal,...

plus a close-instrument mic mixed in there for liveness.;)

Cool, thanks for weighing in Reel

I don't have a Line Out on my amp, but I have a Headphone Out...
Think a Direct Box or a Cab. Sim. between my Headphone Out and my Board would give me something better?
(I should also mention that I live in an apartment, so I just can't crank into my 57)

Cubs Tonight.

A NICE thought just occured to me!

With the availibilty of 8 tracks AND several extra channels (that I will soon be using) I can put my sync tone on track one and then build my drum parts on my sequencer, THEN track them, then after all other additional tracks are layed I can delete my drum parts from the sequencer and have 4 (semi-pannable) keyboard parts coming in in stereo at mixdown!!!
(It'll take mega mix practice, but it could be very cool!)

(I just moved all (Well most) of my stuff in preparation for the big "Set up!"

Go Cubs Tonight!

Well I'm still a long way off from that, but yes, ( God and Cubs willing) I'll eventually post in the clinic and take my mis-mixed/no singing/You call THAT guitar? lumps in order to hone the FEW skills I have into something sharper... You know, now that you mention posting Mp3.'s, how exactally does that Nowhere Radio.com work?
(I mean is it a monthly few based on how much space you feel you need, or???)

(So are 38 the rack mount ears hard to come by fellows??)

GO GO CUBS TONIGHT!!

Nowhere, Man

As far as I can recall you sign up (as an artist in this case) and then you've got 15 MBs of free web space to use, plus the option to rent an unlimited amount for $5 a month.

(So are 38 the rack mount ears hard to come by fellows??)

I haven't looked for them personally, as my 38 came with them when I bought it back in the early 90's.

I suspect they still might be available from an authorized TASCAM dealer as those ears would also fit the 32 and 34 models which were only recently discontinued by the "fine" folks at TASCAM.

Good Luck! :)

So I FINALLY got everything moved and ALMOST set up...
It's looking really cool too! (Now it's time to count the cables and like nothing short of a damn fool I forgot to label the single bad RCA out of three X 8 snakes! LOL)

Since I don't have a rack for my two Dx-d4's or compressor I'm wondering just how hot those Dx-4d's run? I won't be compressing till I get a TRS cable (Or is it ok to go direct from my compressors XLR's to the board's XLR's??), so I won't have any heat generated by the compressor I guess... What I'm trying to say is do you think its ok to have a few units stacked on top of one another OR will they get too hot??

Ultimatly I will rack them, but should I just forego them for the time being or will it be ok?

LETS GO CUBBIES!!
:) :)

Billy,

The DX-D4 dbx noise reduction units run at room temperature as does any non-tube based compressor so I wouldn't worry much about their placement in regards to heat issues.

The 38's generated heat is basically radiated through the top of the unit and for the most part, runs just slightly above room temperature so, if you are concerned about over-heating issues, place the 38 as the top component in a rack.

Herm's picture or the one I put in the mix clinic of our set-ups should give you some basic ideas as to how to place the gear.

Probably the best advice I could offer in this regard is to place the various pieces of gear where they can be easily read and reached while tracking and mixing. Also, try to keep them out of your speaker's main broadcast zone. Keep the gear either below or to the side of the sound field and don't sweat the rest of it too much.

Only pieces like power amps really need some isolation away from your other gear as far as heat radiation and damage go.

Awesome Thanks Ghost.

(SOMEDAY I'll be able to post a pic of my set up.)

BTW- I edited my "review" of your lastest release in the clinic...
After re-reading it I felt it didn't come across the way I wanted it to..., but no biggie, it's a cool tune no doubt.)

GO CUBS!

Heck yeah!

Those two 312's look bad ass side by side!
( I like that you have access behind your boards.)

Is that your 16 track in front of your boards?

(Man I must be getting close to a new tune... I feel like I'm coming down with a cold and I swear 98% of the time I try to do a vocal I'm sick!! Must be in my head.)

Lets Go Cubs!!

Now I must exhibit proficiency and discipline in another area of home recording... Shutting off this damn computer for awhile and finishing my setup!
Tomorrow is day one ( Drums and SYNTH Bass) on a tune called "Next years anthem" (My first 38 312 song!!).

If you're happy and you know it
just say "Cubs" (Clap-Clap)...

UNION BREAKTIME:

LOL I dorked out and left my pc on (on accident) instead of shutting it off like I so boldly declared in my previous post!
(Yeah, I'm a smuck!)

If it's possible to dream in RCA, then I'm going to tonight!
(Life became a bit easier by highlighting the connection diagram for the DX-D4's, 38 and 312 in different colors... My eye's were crossing trying to follow those lines they have drawn in the booklet!)

Well gang, two hours till game time!!
Woo Hoo Go Cubs!

Back