Compressing audio

.......You actually seem like a nice person with a good sense of humor. If we got off on a different foot, we'd probably get along just fine. At this point, I'm having fun with you. I hope you are, too. :)

I thought we were only having a bit of tongue-in-cheek banter? I am anyway, no hard feelings at this end.

Regarding the original topic - yes, i could have probably looked into it a bit more, but on the searches i did i didn't find anything for what i was looking for and i know this place is always busy and has alot of helpful people on it so i thought it would have been a lot more easier posting on here than scouring Google. You call it lazy, i call it efficient ;)

And you've misunderstood the 2-word Google game i've been going on about (And i feel you've conveniently misunderstood to get a head-start :p)
You search for 2 words in Google to get only 1 result. I call it a 'game'.. Whatever you refer it as, i'm pretty much it's impossible, hence the reason i'd look upon you as a God if you found the answer. That aswell as a mate of mine giving £1k to anyone who can find a 2-word combination (that would of course be me if you were to put the answer on this page :rolleyes:)

SSG's link is a good one.
Also, one of the best explanations I have ever seen is in Bob Katz's book
Mastering Audio, the art and the science.

It's a great read any way you slice it.

F.S.

Also, one of the best explanations I have ever seen is in Bob Katz's book
Mastering Audio, the art and the science.

It's a great read any way you slice it.

F.S.

I was fortunate enough to see Bob Katz at a seminar at University. He was teaching pretty advanced stuff, alot of it at the time i didn't really understand. I have a mate who got his book shortly after seeing him, i'll have to try and grab a copy and have a read. Thanks for reminding me! :)

I recall one of his sentences was something along the lines of 'Most professional mastering studios can take anything up to 20 hours on a 3-minute track, for me - it takes me no longer than 10 minutes, it's too easy'

... The bitch

I was fortunate enough to see Bob Katz at a seminar at University. He was teaching pretty advanced stuff, alot of it at the time i didn't really understand. I have a mate who got his book shortly after seeing him, i'll have to try and grab a copy and have a read. Thanks for reminding me! :)

I recall one of his sentences was something along the lines of 'Most professional mastering studios can take anything up to 20 hours on a 3-minute track, for me - it takes me no longer than 10 minutes, it's too easy'

... The bitch

:)

The book can get pretty deep, but just skip the parts you aren't absorbing and read what you want. You can come back to the complex stuff when you're ready.

F.S.

i'll have to try and grab a copy and have a read. Thanks for reminding me! :)
Try here.

'Most professional mastering studios can take anything up to 20 hours on a 3-minute track, for me - it takes me no longer than 10 minutes, it's too easy'
Oh man, reading that gave me the heartiest laugh I have had in a long time. He's a smart guy and a good engineer, but he is also a self-promoter that is rather full of himself.

If a professional mastering studio is spending 20 hours on a track, it had better be because the track was about as effed up as the 18-minute gap on the Nixon White House tapes. And if it takes Katz 10 minutes to do it's because he has reached the reputation where the projects ge can get are those that are tracked and mixed professionally to the point where they practically master themselves. Plus, as an anti-volume war guy, Katz doesn't spend the extra time trying to squeeze every ounce of dynamic range out of the mixes.

G.

Try here.

Oh man, reading that gave me the heartiest laugh I have had in a long time. He's a smart guy and a good engineer, but he is also a self-promoter that is rather full of himself.

If a professional mastering studio is spending 20 hours on a track, it had better be because the track was about as effed up as the 18-minute gap on the Nixon White House tapes. And if it takes Katz 10 minutes to do it's because he has reached the reputation where the projects ge can get are those that are tracked and mixed professionally to the point where they practically master themselves. Plus, as an anti-volume war guy, Katz doesn't spend the extra time trying to squeeze every ounce of dynamic range out of the mixes.

G.

I let the 3 min thing go;)

By the way. I can master a song in 3 minutes too! If the song is longer than 3 minutes I just roll the dice on the end:D

Getting well recorded and mixed tracks from the studio where it already sounds the way they want it to sound does help greatly;)

F.S.

By the way. I can master a song in 3 minutes too! If the song is longer than 3 minutes I just roll the dice on the end:D

Getting well recorded and mixed tracks from the studio where it already sounds the way they want it to sound does help greatly;)
Yeah, it's not hard to master a song in 10 minutes if the material is good and you're already on a roll (already have the base sound and volume for the album figured out, etc.) The more "mixing" or "re(pair)-mixing" the mastering engineer has to do, or the more the client wants the mix squashed, the longer each track will take.

The part that got me laughing the most was the 20 hours a track statement. Sure, it can happen, just like it can happen that one might hit the pick 3 lottery. But that is a rare extreme that it sounds like Katz was using to make it sound like he's 120 times faster than your average professional ME.

G.

Yeah, it's not hard to master a song in 10 minutes if the material is good and you're already on a roll (already have the base sound and volume for the album figured out, etc.) The more "mixing" or "re(pair)-mixing" the mastering engineer has to do, or the more the client wants the mix squashed, the longer each track will take.

The part that got me laughing the most was the 20 hours a track statement. Sure, it can happen, just like it can happen that one might hit the pick 3 lottery. But that is a rare extreme that it sounds like Katz was using to make it sound like he's 120 times faster than your average professional ME.

G.

Ya, I only can only imagine that you would get into the loooooong hours in a resoration or something like that where retracking is out of the question.

F.S.

Yeah, the guy certainly knows what he's doing but some of the stuff he was coming out with cracked me up. He certainly isn't a modest guy :)

Cheers for the link G, i'll scoot over there and grab a copy.

Back