Compressing audio

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hi all,

I've never properly understood how compressors work 100% and am wanting to read up on the theory aspect of how they work. I've had a look on Google but i can't seem to find any information :confused:

Can anyone help me out?

Tif

No offense, but........are you serious?????????:confused::eek:

I was completely serious aye. When i searched 'compression' i got results back for all sorts of compression. 'Audio compression' didn't come up with any informative pages. I tried a few more then gave up and thought i'd come on here and get a quick answer :p

I apologise for not understanding the principles of how Google works and the correct word structures you must use to get the best results, if you'd like to share your wisdom, please get intouch via PM. :)

Well, to be fair, I have no idea how a compressor works, by which I mean, I have no knowledge of the physical principles used to make loud stuff quieter, as contrasted with the way I do, in fact, understand how a speaker or moving coil microphone works (hint, they're the same).

Asking what the knobs do, OTOH, is n00bish.

Nah, I'm sure you'll figure it out one day, if you apply yourself. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you, as a Google genius, can work out the near-impossible task.

Search for 2 words within Google to get only 1 answer. If you can find the answer, i will look upon you as a god.

Cheers for the added link Chili, much appreciated :) If anyone has anymore gems they know of about Compression, feel free to add them.

While your passive-aggressive sarcasm is laughable at most, it's misplaced at best. I appreciate the compliment on my being a genius, but I'm much too humble to accept that title. I used to think anyone who could add 2+2 was also a "genius" when I was in Kingergarten, only to realise later that, with a little effort, and not depending on others to do my work for me, I too can do basic math.

Here's what I get when I enter "Recording compression": http://www.google.ca/search?q=recor...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Here's what I get when I enter "Mixing Compression":http://www.google.ca/search?q=mixin...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

And here's the kicker. You might want to sit down for this one because it might just shatter the very world you live in. This article came up when I entered the very title of your thread. "COMPRESSING AUDIO: http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/mixing-music/compression-audio-mixing.htm Ain't that a kick in the gluteus maximus!?!?!? :D

I can keep going, but I'm not here to embarrass you. I don't believe in preying on the weak and lazy.

When you finish removing your foot from your mouth, I'll accept your mea-culpa. For now, don't bang your toes too hard on that table while you choose to live in the dark. It makes it a lot harder to remove said foot from mouth because of the swelling.

Have a nice day. :)

Last edited:
hahahaha,,thats a googlewhack :)

strangely enough,,none of the known googlewhacks are even googlewhacks anymore,,,cos some tosser published them on a website :(

While your passive-aggressive sarcasm is laughable at most, it's misplaced at best. I appreciate the compliment on my being a genius, but I'm much too humble to accept that title.

An American teaching an Englishman sarcasm? What has the world come to? :eek:

I don't know whether your post was, ironically, meant to be 'passive-aggressive' or your just bored and want to start one of these little debates we see plenty of in the cave.

In either case, i'll thank you for your google searches for compression - i'll certainly read them when i can. I'll also sympathise for your non-participation in my Google task (Unless your attempting it as i type this in the hope you get the answer before this topic dies [i give it 24 hours]).

I won't be apologising for wasting anyones time for my 'laziness' as you suggested; this is what these boards are for are they not?

Much thanks again for the beneficial input peeps, i'm far more wise about compression than i was before. I'd even go as far as saying i know more about it than RAMI now! (An easy quote for you to start with there :))

Ta raa

An American teaching an Englishman sarcasm? What has the world come to? :eek:

I'm not American. :eek::confused:

Again, your laziness has lead you to make assumptions that make you look ignorant. Or is it your ignorance that makes you look lazy???? Either way, you wear both qualities very well.;)

I'd even go as far as saying i know more about it than RAMI now! (An easy quote for you to start with there
Nice try. But you have to understand that not everyone is as stupid as you hope. Which is exactly why your attempt at bringing me waaaayyyyy down to your level is not going to work. :p

You might might to stop trying to dig yourself out of the hole you're sinking in. You're only making it deeper.:)

Last edited:
I'm not American. :eek::confused:

Yeah, i made that assumption on purpose. Thought i'd make this tongue-in-cheek thing a bit easier for you..... :rolleyes:

I do like how you actually used that quote against me though. It made me happy, and i like to feel happy, so thanks.

I'm a bit worried about posting any more as i don't want you to come to the conclusion that i'm still trying to dig myself out of this hole your talking about.

Hope all is well in Canada (See, i corrected my assumption!)

P.S. ..Have you found the Google answer yet? :o

P.S. ..Have you found the Google answer yet? :o

What are you still ranting about??? Using 2 search words to find something??? What do you think I did on every example I posted above, including YOUR THREAD TITLE??? You should be thanking me instead of acting like a stubborn 5 year old. And I apologize to 5 year old's everywhere for that.:D

You can go on all you want. The fact is, it took me about 5 seconds to find a bunch of information you claimed was impossible to find. Stop it, man. You're embarrassing yourself really bad.:eek:

.......You actually seem like a nice person with a good sense of humor. If we got off on a different foot, we'd probably get along just fine. At this point, I'm having fun with you. I hope you are, too. :)

Back