Come Forth - spooky ass white boy shit

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
One of mine, second time through here.. this time with some arrangement changes and just about everything retracked.
Lemme know how it sounds, or don't.. That'll show me. :)

pilgrimage.jpg

Mix 1

Mix 2

Mix 3

Mix 4 - 8/20/16 New Bass

Last edited:
Really like the intro. I would like the snare to be crisper. Most of the instruments seem to be battling it out in the harsh upper mids with very, very little clarity. I think you need to carve space for each instrument with eq. The upper frequencies are really missing, as are the lows. Everything is concentrated in the 800 Hz-2 kHz region. Not sure what else to say.

Agree with Bubba Po for the most part. Nice intro, too much happening in the midrange. There's actually a fair amount of low end there, but it's being overwhelmed by harsh upper midrange stuff in the guitars and overheads. Give that drummer a chill pill.

I'm hearing a strong peak at 600Hz, some buildup from there down to 200Hz and a harshness at something like 11kHz. At 1:53 where the guitar comes in it hits pretty hard. I think some room needs to be made for it so it can be a little less on top, so it's present and unmistakable but not stepping on the drums. I agree about the snare, it seems muted. Just fitting everything around that drum part makes this a tricky mix.

Last edited:
That snare is a thorn in my side.. I've been wanting a new once since forever but it's just not in the budget right now.

Starts out like Talking Heads then heads into becomes the Dead with new wave flavours provided by Soft machine Vol1.

i think the tuning was the major thing i noticed. particularly around 2:00. that whole section stuck to me. i;m not hearing anything harsh on my HD280's. the kick could use more 80-100hz, to my ears. i really like the section at 4:00. i was def head-bopping to the solos throughout. nice playing man. :thumbs up:

i;m not hearing anything harsh on my HD280's.

That's funny.. see, I'm also using 280s and I also don't hear the harshness. So I'm thinking instead of changing anything I may attach a caveat to the song.. something like "Please listen to this song on HD280s!" or something.

i think the tuning was the major thing i noticed.

Ugh.. Ok, there is a tuning thing I was wondering if anyone would hear. It requires a retrack to fix.
Can you tell me when and what for the golden ticket?? :D

and a harshness at something like 11kHz.

Holy crap, 11k?? How can you even hear that high?
I admit there could be a completely different song playing up there and I'd have no idea.

Wow. There's a lot to unpack here... I've got too much on my mind and can't handle it right now, but remind me to revisit it this weekend sometime.

I don't know. I heard something with a bit too much edge and used eq to find it. It was 11k.

Yeah, I'm sure it's there, I'm just having a tough time tracking it down due to my cluttered ears. SPAN shows a few spiky transients across the master between 8k-12k but I'm having a tough time tracking it down. The only "traditional" tracks up there are vox and OHs, and the OHs are fairly low. Maybe it's somewhere in the 95 tracks of swirling household percussion, lol.

Wow. There's a lot to unpack here... I've got too much on my mind and can't handle it right now, but remind me to revisit it this weekend sometime.

Lol, so summary so far: "too much lo mids", "too much hi mids", "too much highs", and now "too much song". I think I'm starting to see a pattern. :D

Lol, so summary so far: "too much lo mids", "too much hi mids", "too much highs", and now "too much song". I think I'm starting to see a pattern. :D

Any one of those probably applies to several but not all tracks. You've got to carve it down on a track by track basis, making each one take its place in the context of all the rest. Reference recordings give you a general target for tonal balance.

Any one of those probably applies to several but not all tracks. You've got to carve it down on a track by track basis, making each one take its place in the context of all the rest. Reference recordings give you a general target for tonal balance.

It is fairly carved up.. I've been tweaking levels and EQs for weeks on this thing. And I never got into reference CDs.. Truthfully, my favorite records are all 50 years old and I'm kind of unaware of any existing artist who even shoots for the sound I'm shooting for. If you know of anything similar, I would certainly like to hear it. Thanks much for your time and input. :)

I really like the part that begins at 1:55. Very unusual and interesting. The claps there seem a bit messy though. Maybe replace with samples?
I see what people are saying about too much in the same frequency. It might be an arrangement problem. It seems like the guitar and the vocals are playing approximately the same note ranges. Maybe rewriting the guitar part lower, or panning would help this.
I like your song a lot--very original!

I like all of the arrangement decisions you made, particularly around 4:00 on where it just gets really chaotic. I can hear each guitar and chime and whatnot clearly myself. Drums are really high energy and just a lot of fun to listen to.

For me, mix-wise, there was no buildup or conflict in the lows or low mids, but I actually did hear the cymbals as sounding a bit overly hyped? They really stacked up with your voice when you hit some higher notes to create a harshness. Probably in the 11-12k range as boulder suggested.

I too am listening on HD280s, so who knows? lol

It's immensely entertaining though, which is of the utmost importance.

I really like the part that begins at 1:55. Very unusual and interesting. The claps there seem a bit messy though. Maybe replace with samples?

Ha, sadly I have to be a dick (again) and say the sloppy claps are totally intentional. Nothing's perfect in nature, and probably the least perfect thing is a room full of random folks clapping together. Some will be in time, out of time, double or half time, some on the off-beats etc. I like that stuff and try to replicate it etc.

Thanks for the listen and feedback though. Big fan of your stuff. :)

I like all of the arrangement decisions you made, particularly around 4:00 on where it just gets really chaotic. I can hear each guitar and chime and whatnot clearly myself. Drums are really high energy and just a lot of fun to listen to.

For me, mix-wise, there was no buildup or conflict in the lows or low mids, but I actually did hear the cymbals as sounding a bit overly hyped? They really stacked up with your voice when you hit some higher notes to create a harshness. Probably in the 11-12k range as boulder suggested.

I too am listening on HD280s, so who knows? lol

It's immensely entertaining though, which is of the utmost importance.

Yeah, I neutered that 11-12k area on the vox and OHs... gotta say I think it took some sparkle off the master and I'm not sure I like it, but I'll post it later anyhoo.
I'm glad you got the full HD280 experience though. :D

Ugh.. Ok, there is a tuning thing I was wondering if anyone would hear. It requires a retrack to fix.
Can you tell me when and what for the golden ticket?? :D

around the 2:15 section... that whole part. it's that sliding guitar for the solo, maybe? hard to tell if that is the thing off or if it's the other stuff... i think it's that though.

hey, what's your vocal mic? i always wonder that when i listen to these tracks

around the 2:15 section... that whole part. it's that sliding guitar for the solo, maybe? hard to tell if that is the thing off or if it's the other stuff... i think it's that though.

hey, what's your vocal mic? i always wonder that when i listen to these tracks

Thanks for that! I use an AT4050. :)

Back