combatting siblance

suprstar

It aint ez being green
What's the trick? Distance from the mic? I got a CAD m177 -> dmp3, I'm running vox thru de-essers, cutting the highs, to the point where its sounding a bit muffly.....

Super ...if you listen to older elvis /beatles/etc. you will notice that the words that end in s are cut right off! does this help any?

:cool:

back off the mic a little when you are making an Ess sound
Turn the mic slightly off axis
Use volume automation rather than D essing on heavy sibliance to avoid getting rid of air and presence. (once you know what to look for S sounds are rather obvious when you zoom into the wave form)
use a de esser sparingly

What's the problem with de-essing? :confused:

The only trouble I've ever had with it is over-doing it, and consequently playing god and giving the vocalist a lisp :p

PS: Whoever put an "s" in the word lisp is an evil genius :laughings:

back off the mic a little when you are making an Ess sound
Turn the mic slightly off axis
Use volume automation rather than D essing on heavy sibliance to avoid getting rid of air and presence. (once you know what to look for S sounds are rather obvious when you zoom into the wave form)
use a de esser sparingly

Yeah, that's probably the best eh, I hope that's not as much work as it sounds..

Super ....you could always try writing songs the rest of your life with no Ss in them!

:cool:

DAMMIT NOW you tell me, my next album was gonna be SuprStar's Super Sexy Slutty Stripper's Secret Six Song Cd! Back to the drawing board..... :D

What's the problem with de-essing? :confused:

The only trouble I've ever had with it is over-doing it, and consequently playing god and giving the vocalist a lisp :p

PS: Whoever put an "s" in the word lisp is an evil genius :laughings:

It's not enough.. I've been thinking 'eq' the whole time, not so much 'volume'. Cutting highs is making it sound muffly, messing with the tone, and not really eliminating the problem. And where there ISN'T a problem, I tried de-esser automation to turn it down. I'm not convinced that's the easiest way... Good mic control is prolly best, but I already have some tracks down, so I'll be trying volume automation on the tough ones. Prolly easier than re-tracking and trying to teach mic control since *I* dont even know how to do it.

Yeah, that's probably the best eh, I hope that's not as much work as it sounds..

DAMMIT NOW you tell me, my next album was gonna be SuprStar's Super Sexy Slutty Stripper's Secret Six Song Cd! Back to the drawing board..... :D

that title may be worth the sibilance :)

It's not enough.. I've been thinking 'eq' the whole time, not so much 'volume'. Cutting highs is making it sound muffly, messing with the tone, and not really eliminating the problem. And where there ISN'T a problem, I tried de-esser automation to turn it down. I'm not convinced that's the easiest way... Good mic control is prolly best, but I already have some tracks down, so I'll be trying volume automation on the tough ones. Prolly easier than re-tracking and trying to teach mic control since *I* dont even know how to do it.

It's possible that you're de-essing the wrong band of frequencies.

If you're de-essing a certain band of frequencies, and it's not ONLY clamping down when there's a sibilant sound, then either you're choosing the wrong band (could be slightly off), or there's too much highs in your vocals to begin with. Can you post a sample?

It's possible that you're de-essing the wrong band of frequencies.

Hey, I was gonna say that. :D

Also, how hard are you pushing the compressor on the vocals?? If you're picking up all kinds of mouth noises, try backing off a bit.

It isn't fast, but when my de-essers aren't up to the task, there is one thing that always always works. That's just going through the file, zooming in on JUST the offending SSS's, and turning the volume down JUST on them. At the very least it leaves the rest of your audio alone.

My 2 cents.

Jake

Change all your "s" sounds to "th" when singing. Just pretend you have a speech impediment. You could change "s" to "sh" too, like you're wearing dentures. Either way, problem solved! Edit: only partly kidding about the "sh" sound. Emerick, in his book about recording the Beatles, talked about them using that technique at times to avoid sibilance.

Last edited:
Hold a towel between you and the mic. You can sibilance all you like and 'pop' and 'boff' too and no one need ever know. No muffles either. Silliest thing, but it's a pop shield and a half ! That and slightly turning from the mic are cheap home made solutions. You could also wave your hand fractionally in front of your mouth in time with the offending consonnants.

Back