Classical (Nylon) guitar weird resonance

Maor

Hey guys,
I noticed something funny the other day playing my classic nylon guitar after "being away" from it.
there seems to be a strong resonance with the bass A note, and the frequencies to go along with it- mostly (after analyzing and EQing the recording, 110 hz, and 220 hz.)
everything else with the guitar sounds perfectly fine, but i can defintly hear the bass A note with more power, and a strong resonating tail which makes it suck. when i start bending the note up, away from 110 (or 440) it dissappears, but when i bend up from G# its happening again. both on 6th and 5th string.

whats going on?
how to fix it ?

I am not an expert on classical guitar building but I am an experienced classical guitar player. It is not abnormal for a classical guitar to "grow" or get broken in, and in the process the sound changes. It seems as if fine guitars adapt resonant frequencies to the notes that are played. This is all unscientific but I feel like my own fine instrument (a Dake Traphagen) does have increased volume at 440 Hz tuning than it does if I am slightly off from that. Some people will recommend that you play chromatic scales all the way up to the highest note just get the top to "open up." I've seen new classical guitars change sounds in the first few Months, mostly for the better but I once saw a guy's $9000 Thomas Humphrey (they go for $17K nowadays) start out sounding like the most ungodly guitar ever made and a few Months later it regressed to merely awesome.

Anyway, I don't think that's what happened here and I have no clue how to fix it or what to do about it. What kind of guitar is it anyway?

Just a plain old classical guitar, been playing it for more than a few years now, always kept in the same place and in the same condition, with "normal" fresh strings on...

Are you playing it in the same room that you used to? Could it be a build up of frequencies. Room mode??

Classical guitars can definitely change over time, even the cheaper ones, since they're made pretty light. I used to do a lot of work on them at one of the stores I did repairs for, now I've got a no-name Japanese classical that sounds good and plays in tune--not bad for $35.00 at goodwill.

Back