Check my mix,Please!

Hey there Pete...

Nice recording and song...

Personal opinions....

Guitar lead in the intro could come down a notch or two, especially if you want that harmonica to come in smoothly without over-filling an already crowding room. In other words, it's just the intro and it sounds like a middle build-up to me. All the parts are very nice, I just think the levels could be adjusted.

Vocals seem to be sitting very nicely on my end. Wonderful voice there too! Is there some chorus on it too? Sounds nice. When you say "I know it's there, if I can find a way" it sounded like "fuckin find a way" which of course is very different :D That's just me and I work with construction guys all day.

OK right there at 2:00...that's the level I think the lead in the beginning should be, or some where around it. That's a nice touch by the way.

nitpicky...around 3:35 ish...the words "when" and "find" sound forced...could be smoother. I don't hear in the rest of the song...I kinda like the character of it (and I have some heavy quirks to my singing, so grain of salt should be applied here :) ), but it's just slightly, ever slightly distracting. Just depends on how picky you wanna get.

All in all fantastic song...great vibe, and heartfelt. It just needs some bass and drums to give it some wider dynamics, but that's a matter of taste. The parts that are there already are vey tasty. Great job!

I just read Lt. Bob complimenting the doubled vocals. So it's not a chorus effect? Nice job indeed!

Man Pete, ......what a pretty song.
Ive been lucky enough to hear this a few times before... and every time ......beautiful. Nice to know you are doing everything you can to mix this to justice. I like the lead tone, as ive mentioned before. ...and the acoustics sound very nice (as do their panning:) ) Only 2 very small nits. The harmonica is a touch too loud in the beginning, and IMO.... you might wanna drop the level on one of the lead voc doubles just a touch. Use it for thickening and not as a competitor for the line..... you'll get less wavering that way and it will sound more solid. VERY nice vocs man. Beautiful work, looking forward to listening to the collab.

G w/5

Alright guitars and harp :)

Sounds really great muzeman!... reminds me of neil young

I like the tone your are getting on the electric guitar

Really enjoyed... Thanks!

Thanks Dres,I appreciate you listening.

I'll try your suggestions with the harp and guitar,thanks.
The song is pretty much set otherwise,I was thinking of just fading out on the repeat.
What do you think?

Do you still want me to take a shot at that other thing,or is somebody else doing it?
I'm on my way over to check out your update on the psalm song.
(Did I spell that right!):D

Thanks Chad for taking the time to listen bro.
I appreciate your help along the way with this.
Glad you think everything sounds o.k

I got some new mics,so things are getting a little better.
I have to get some monitors ,it's going to kill me to spend the bucks though.
I need more toys first!:D
Thanks man.

LT,thanks man!
Ya,collaborations are the best.
I'm really looking foward to working with you and Mike!
A privlidge indeed!:D

The guitar was a preset from my J.station,only one I thought would fit.
I tried to make it work with the acoustics without being too overpowering.
It's panned stereo because it's doubled,only way I could get any beef out of the J.station.
Still working on getting some sounds out of it.

Thanks for the kind words on the vocals,coming from you that means a lot!:)

Hey Sam,I really appreciate your thoughts,and the help you gave me on this,thanks bro!
Mike and I are going to use the Chainsaw on ours,probably Rob and I too.
Pretty cool to be able to send wav.files via e-mail!
I owe you.(again!):D

Really glad you liked everything,I'll have to check those harmonica levels.
Rob's stuff is really going to bring it together.

Ya,Bethsaida is in Isreal.
Actually the name of the pool is Bethsada,it's in the town of Bethsaida.

The pool is sometimes called Bethsaida,so I figured it would would be better for a lyric.
I think there's a dig going on there right now in Isreal.

The story is right out of John 5,pretty cool story if you want to check it out.;)

Thanks,my friend.

Hey Chris,really glad you liked it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen,much appreciated!
I think your right about the lead in the verses,Mike said the same thing.
Guess I'm going to take them out.
That's what's so great about this place,after working on a song for so long,you get numb to it.

Danged if you aren't right about that E string!
Can't hear it on headphones,but it stands out like a sore thumb on the PC speakers.
I can hear it through the whole song.
Does that mean I have to retrack it?
I guess so,bummer,it's all doubled!:(

Thanks very much for pointing that out Chris,I appreciate it.
You got golden ears man!:D

TripleM,thanks very much for the listen!
Glad you liked the guitars!

I can't hear anything on the opening line,no monitors,but I'll take your word for it.
You caught me on the second verse!:D
I had trouble with the whole verse,don't know why.
Still not really comfortable singing I guess.
Think it needs to be retracked?

You must have some good monitors,what kind are they?
I need a pair bad!

Hey Chad,thanks man!
I like your sugesstions on the git,but I'm kind of limited with the J.station.
What do you think,needs more verb?
No real good clean tones out of it so far.
Mabey someday! :eek:

I appreciate your input along the way with this,it really helped!

Iv'e been trying to work on that song,actually I havn't even started!:eek:
Hope I can make the deadline,I really want to do it!

SLuiCe,thanks my friend!
I appreciate you taking the time to listen.
I'm definatly going to bring the guitar intro down,seems to be the consensus.
I appreciate you kind words about the vocals,I doubled them to hide the fact that my voice can peel wallpaper! :D

Hey,I'm a construction worker,mabey I did say that!
Just kidding,(I hope,better go check!):D

Thanks for the pointers on the levels and the vocals,I appreciate you taking all that time to pinpoint it,thanks man!:)

Rob is going to add the drums and keys,and I'm going to take a shot at the bass.
Should really bring it together.

Hey Mike!
Thanks bro,your help on this has been invaluable.
I'm using your bass settings,really made a big differance.
I owe you one!;)

Glad you liked the gits!
I'm going to lower the harmonica,Sam said the same thing.

Thanks for the vocal tip.
This is the first time I tried doubling.
I used two differant mikes,think that was a mistake?
I tend to keep the second up to cover my voice some.
For the good of mankind!:D

Thanks for the kind words bro!

Jeff,thanks my friend.
Glad you liked it.
Ya,I learned to play by copying Neil,you know,that heavy handed stiff arm stuff.
(Wish I could play like you though,someday!):D

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with something.

Mabey this isn't the right forum,but I'm going to buy some monitors soon and you guys are the golden ears of this place!
If you all don't know,who does.

I record in a small room,10*10,and mix at a desk from about 2 feet away.
I guess I need small nearfields?
I just want something that's flat,so I can hear what's really going on,and any eq/dynamic changes that need to be made.

Monitors seem to be harder than mics to buy!

Iv'e been looking at the small M audio's and the small Events that just came out,both bi amped/powered.
Both $299.

What do you guys think,would they do it?
I could really use some help with this.

Thanks very much,
Pete

Last edited:
NO NO NO!!!

muzeman said:
Hey Chris...Danged if you aren't right about that E string!
Can't hear it on headphones,but it stands out like a sore thumb on the PC speakers.
I can hear it through the whole song.
Does that mean I have to retrack it?
I guess so,bummer,it's all doubled!:(

Thanks very much for pointing that out Chris,I appreciate it.
You got golden ears man!:D
NO WAY, MAN! Do NOT retrack the gits b/c of one (possibly) off note. I listened really hard in the rest of the song, and I couldn't hear it, and I probably shouldn't have said anything anyway. I mean, heck Pete, I didn't even spell "chord" correctly in my post. I was thinking more of a "play that one single chord over one time" kinda' edit. Sheesh, don't mess with the magic. Those gits sound great.

pete, i can't help with the mix, but i love the tune!! very nice!!
cant wait to hear it with the other parts!!!!

thanks, man

peace

rick

Hey Chris,I'm really glad you told me,that's why I posted it.
I can try a punch in,but tough to get the mics,amps ect. set up the same.
How bad do you think it will be if I don't fix it?

"I didn't even spell "chord" correctly in my post."
Dang,I must be getting old,I missed that one!:D
(Mabey it's cause Iv'e been typing for 2 hours!):eek:

muzeman said:
Hey Chris...How bad do you think it will be if I don't fix it?
Not bad at all, my friend. There's nothing "bad" about this tune at all, in my opinion. Here's my other opinion: Participant has the best ears in this joint, and he didn't say a word about it. Now, if YOU hear it, and it bugs you, then all I can say is that based upon personal experience, it will always bug you...everytime you listen. I can't hear it elsewhere in the song when all the gits are going. My suggestion would be to throw in another guitar right at the very beginning to cover it up...it's like a violin section of an orchestra...they're never all playing exactly the same note, but the human ear blends the stuff together in a way that sounds natural and good. I mean, I use this procedure quite a bit on my vocal. Every wonder why I have so many "harmonies" in my songs. It ain't because I love the sound of my voice...hehehehe...It's because it's just easier for me to cover up a lead vocal flatty with another "harmony" vocal than it is to retrack the lead vocal. Yup, I'm a harmonizin' FOOL!!

I wish you peace and harmony,
Chris

Great tip Chris,thanks really!
That's just what I'm going to do.
Guess I'll be doing a lot more harmonies in the future too!:D

Hey Pete,
Re: the monitors..... Ive got some passive Tannoy reveals that aint too bad for nearfields..... well under 4 bones a pair too....

Ive heard those Studiophiles and im not impressed....

now those small Events (the TR5-N's) i am anxious to hear.....i like the 20/20's but that is WAY to much speaker for my small and acoustically challenged room......

I wanna here those dudes soon...i may consider ditching my ProtoJ's and Hafler amp......

Thanks Mike.
I was looking at the Reveals,seem like the best deal for a pro monitor.
What kind of amp did you pair up with it?

I read on Goggle where they have to be at least 18 inches from the wall,because of the baffle? hole in the back.
Did you find this.

Hey Mike,
The Events look good,I'm going to try and hear them at GC this week,but I wouldn't know a Radio Shack from a Genlec!:D
You have more experiance with monitors than me,let me know what you think if you hear them,o.k.

Thanks,
Pete

Hi muzeman, I've just pm'ed you so you may want to check your messages.

Getting the best out of any monitor has a huge amount to do with the acoustic treatment of the room... I've learnt by my mistakes. The smaller the room, the harder it gets apparently. Speaker placement is critical for bass response. Killing nearby reflections helps imaging.

participant said:
:eek: :mad:

chopped liver-->mixmkr, Track Rat, TexRoadKill, Blue Bear Sound, SLuiCe, etc...
Yes, by God, they're all talented souls; but I have yet to run across anybody else who could PINPOINT a 3db mid EQ cut on the right side of one in a stereo'd pair of acoustic guitars after listening to two versions of a song an hour apart.

So I think you win. So FLAME ME!!!!

:D

oh yeah... *bump*

on topic

:D A good song, Pete... don't wanna side track your thread... this will sound good for a long time... and no, no suggestions... same as last night :)

Hey Pete,
I bought a sampson servo 260. .....somewhat of a bottom feeder....but gets the job done.
I did alot of research into the event 20/20 vs. reveal comparison, and here's my 2 cents. I found the events much more "colored" than the reveals. They sounded great for playback, but my concern was wether or not you were hearing "truth". Anyways...... there ya are in a nutshell.

g:)

Back