cheapest decent mic pre-amp?

dietcookie

i need a pre amp for four mics. i see a bunch on musicians friend for very little and they probably all sound like crap. whats the cheapest pre-amp one could buy that sounds OK, I don't need a $400 per channel preamp, i just need something that works and sounds ok cause afterall, it is just a homerecording!

The cheapest I know of would be two Audiobuddies at $80 each, to give you 4 clean channels. But if you're going to be using more than one condenser mic on each they may be too shy in the phantom power department.

That's new....

When did GC start carrying Studio Projects stuff?

Looks like they're only carrying the VTB-1....

It's still glitchy, somehow. I've seen it higher before.

Plus, with the reviews here at this website, in a poll somwhere in this forum, the DMP-3 was the favorite of maybe 10 or more pre-amps in the poll, with quite a good turnout of votes, not just a couple.

The DMP-3 is definitely worth getting in it's price range.

Plus, with just under 9000 posts, and 5 years on the board, (not to suggest that newcomers to the board don't know anything, of course,) and his rep around here, I believe that Gidge probably has a good idea about what he's talking about.

Speedy VonTrapp said:
It's still glitchy, somehow. I've seen it higher before.

Plus, with just under 9000 posts, and 5 years on the board, (not to suggest that newcomers to the board don't know anything, of course,) and his rep around here, I believe that Gidge probably has a good idea about what he's talking about.

Just to be clear!

I in know way was insinuating any sarcastic or negative response towards Gidge, quite the opposite. I was more shocked the unit was rated so low given the popularity of that piece and was asking him if he noticed it as well!

I've got a DMP-3 and a Mackie VLZ 1202 and to my newbie recording ears, the DMP-3 sounds "better." By "better" I mean the DMP-3 is more clear, transparent, less-colored, and less muddy. But it's not a huge difference.

Having said that, I use the Mackie more often because of the routing options, effects, and it powers my monitors. Plus the Mackie has 4 pres compared to only two in the DMP-3.

Based on that analysis, the Mackie is better "bang for the buck" but the DMP-3 provides better recording "quality."

But again, I'm a newbie so heed my words accordingly.

Back