Can't Decided Between These Mics =/

For vocals mostly, but possibly as a room mic for guitar cabs as well, mix the signal with an up-close SM57 or e609. I just won the Spark on eBay for a steal, but I'm also wondering if the AKG is a good mic..

...possibly as a room mic for guitar cabs as well, mix the signal with an up-close SM57 or e609.

Forget the room mic and the 57/609...get a Cascade Fat Head for your guitar cabs, placed about 12" to 24" in front of the cab. The backside pics up the room since it's a figure 8 ribbon mic.

You'll thank me later. ;)

Oh...and if you don't want the room...just throw a "tent" over the amp/cab/mic rig...or put it all in a small closet filled with clothes.

I got the Blue for $150 on ebay brand new through a dealer who owed me a favor. I'll probably still look into the Perception just because its at such a cost effective price. I'm going mic crazy, buying up every mic deal I see. Driving my GF nuckin' futs! lol

I got the Blue for $150 on ebay brand new through a dealer who owed me a favor. I'll probably still look into the Perception just because its at such a cost effective price. I'm going mic crazy, buying up every mic deal I see. Driving my GF nuckin' futs! lol

It's the only way to be!
Where are you from Scott?

Forget the room mic and the 57/609...get a Cascade Fat Head for your guitar cabs, placed about 12" to 24" in front of the cab. The backside pics up the room since it's a figure 8 ribbon mic.

You'll thank me later. ;)

Oh...and if you don't want the room...just throw a "tent" over the amp/cab/mic rig...or put it all in a small closet filled with clothes.

Did you get one of the upgrade transformers or the stock version?

The stereo set with the Blumlein bar looks like a pretty boss setup.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Are they talking about a mod for the Blue Spark or another mic? I've heard that the Blue can be a little spicy on the highs and mids just because their mics are very sensitive to detail. Does anyone recommend a mod to this mic?

I have a set of MXL 991s and a 990 that I'm going to replace the caps in like I've seen other places online so I figure why not mod all my mics if it's for the better...

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Are they talking about a mod for the Blue Spark or another mic? I've heard that the Blue can be a little spicy on the highs and mids just because their mics are very sensitive to detail. Does anyone recommend a mod to this mic?

I have a set of MXL 991s and a 990 that I'm going to replace the caps in like I've seen other places online so I figure why not mod all my mics if it's for the better...

They are talking about the Cascade Fathead ribbon microphone Scott.

I don't know about a mod for the Spark but I think that Michael Joly does some mods to the blues.
Check out Oktavamod.com and find out.
Michael does some really nice work!

I don't think you'll want to mod the spark. I don't think you'd be able to mod it either - probably smt components but that's just a guess/assumption on my part.

anyhow - the spark is designed for vocals (it has the same capsule as blue's top of the line handheld stage vocal mic!), and yes it will push the mids and highs out a bit because of that. which is why it should prove to be really good in a mix.

the spark shares many eq similarities to my favorite budget vocal recording mic, the cad M9 tube mic (the really ugly blue one with the rounded-square-ish shaped mesh screen loosely based upon the look of the m179 but with all-fail-design-mode turned on at the factory LoL). although the spark doesn't have the uneven tube thing going on which is a matter of preference.

I still don't own one but get fairly frequent and very brief chances to mix tracks where a spark was used on some vocal parts and I'm really getting to quite like working with them in a mix.

No...have not, but both get top reviews.

Yeah...the Northwest, also home to aliens (and Bigfoot), just like the Northeast. ;)

The other ribbon mic that looks very interesting, but it's almost 3 times the price, is the sE Rupert Neve designed ribbon.

Back