Can you tell me what i'm trying to do here?

blkarmphoenix

Hey everybody. I am completely new to the idea of recording from home. I have a small band, and we would like to start getting some things on the internet, and have realized the crappy computer mic wont do anymore.

My key concern for recording our music is the guitars. What I need to know is how to input a guitar so that it records straight into my computer without using an amp and a mic. Is this where a mixing board comes in?

Thanks for the help!

Dear blkarmphoenix,

you personalised number is 39. When you hear that number, you may approach the counter, where you will be attended to.

While you wait, do a google on USB interfaces.

A direct box (D.I.) will get your guitar signal into a mixer, but amplifiers are not just for making guitars louder, they are for imparting tone. A guitar connected directly to a mixer will rarely have the sound you need. To get good guitar tone at line level you will need some sort of preamplification plus some processing to simulate the sound of the amp/cabinet. There are many products out there that do both, a common one being the Line 6 Pod. Most of them will interface directly with a mixing board, eliminating the need for a direct box.

There are many options for getting your sound into a computer. Some will be integrated with a conventional looking mixing board. Others will simply have inputs, outputs and basic level controls. You have to decide how many tracks you want to record at any one time, if you need to be able to make more than one monitor mix at a time etc. If you want to record drums and have some control over the individual tracks during mixdown then you probably need a minimum of 4 inputs. If you want to record the whole band live to separate tracks then you need 8-24 tracks.

Last edited:
bouldersoundguy has given you a good start.

the earlier, more flippant, responses are a consequence of the enormity of your question.

It's a bit like saying, "My friend has a pain in his side. What's a good way of performing an appendectomy? My kitchen knife doesn't seem to be sharp enough."

It's a bit like saying, "My friend has a pain in his side. What's a good way of performing an appendectomy? My kitchen knife doesn't seem to be sharp enough."

It's nothing close to saying that. That may be one of the worst analogies I've ever seen. It's more like saying "How can I input a guitar straight into my computer without using an amp or mic," where an answer similar to bouldersoundguy's would be appropriate. After all, it is a "newbie" forum, no?

On the contrary

The immediate concern may sound trivial, but the larger problem looms in the background: "I have a small band, and we would like to start getting some things on the internet". Is that going to be achieved with a DI box? Specially if "completely new to the idea of recording from home."

There is a big learning curve facing the OP, and that curve won't go away with the purchase of a few gadgets.

It's a simple case of someone wanting to record his small band. No need to scare the OP into thinking it's more difficult than it really is by drawing a parallel to surgery. Yes, a few initial questions need to be asked to clarify exactly what they're after. Then the OP will have enough info to start their own research into interfaces that will suit their needs. Seems simple enough.

Blkarmphoenix,

What instruments does your small band contain?
Are you wanting to record all parts at once, or one at a time?
What kinda computer do you have?

Let's start by answering those questions first, and go from there.

In addition:

What's your budget?
What's the purpose of "putting songs on the internet"? In other words, are you looking to spread your band's name to get people to your shows, or trying to get the "big break"? Or just have fun?

There are a ton of "I am new, what do I do" threads here - and there is no ONE correct answer.

It's nothing close to saying that. That may be one of the worst analogies I've ever seen. It's more like saying "How can I input a guitar straight into my computer without using an amp or mic," where an answer similar to bouldersoundguy's would be appropriate. After all, it is a "newbie" forum, no?
Even a desperate newbie could lighten up and do with a sense of humour.

It's a simple case of someone wanting to record his small band. No need to scare the OP into thinking it's more difficult than it really is by drawing a parallel to surgery.
It's a good analogy if you really examine it. OP says computer mic isn't good enough {knife isn't sharp enough}. OP wants to record band but doesn't know to get desired guitar sounds { friend has pain in side ~ how does one perform an appendectomy}. OP asks for advice {Anology protagonist asks for advice and mentions mixer}. Gekko didn't appear to me to be saying that recording good guitar tones is the equivalent to medical surgery. Just that the question was a broad one with no simple answer, same as if your friend had a pain in their side.....
Besides which, the OP's title leaves them in a position where almost anything can go....

Be careful, GZ is a mod with a ban button.

What I need to know is how to input a guitar so that it records straight into my computer without using an amp and a mic.

While there are certainly ways of physically doing this, as some have explained...I mean, it's just a matter of having the right cables and "box" (DI) to make the guitar signal level work with the line level of the converter/computer...
...but IMHO...don't do it....it's going to sound like ass. :D

Put the mic in front of the amp...and plug the mic into the mixer or converter if it has a mic input.

The other option, as has been also mentioned (IMO, not as great an option as mic/amp), is to use a "pod/sim" and plug the guitar into that and then that into the converter/computer.

Be careful, GZ is a mod with a ban button.

Cute. I forgot about the "golden forum rule" which states, "we the people, must always agree with the moderators."

My point is, it may be a case of where a simple 2 channel input may be all the OP is after. His "small band" may consist of just 2 guitars, for all we know... hence why he has only asked about guitars. I'm sure we'll find out shortly. And maybe, all they're after is to have fun recording 2 guitars and playing with fx and putting it on soundcloud.

That in itself, isn't such a broad question to answer, there is no need for any analogies, due to the simplicity of the intended application. If you ask a chef how to cook an egg, there's a good chance you'll receive a complicated, drawn out, technical answer, when "place the egg in a pan and turn the burner on until it solidifies", might just do.

Cute. I forgot about the "golden forum rule" which states, "we the people, must always agree with the moderators."
Cute. There's no such rule.

If you ask a chef how to cook an egg, there's a good chance you'll receive a complicated, drawn out, technical answer, when "place the egg in a pan and turn the burner on until it solidifies", might just do.

Should I shell the egg first? What is a burner? And how do I know when it has solidified?

Even a simple explanation may uncover unexpected problems.

The difficulty here is that we are not entirely sure what the OP is seeking. The original post is not unambiguous.

Should I shell the egg first? What is a burner? And how do I know when it has solidified?

Ahhhhh..... All good questions. Now you've begun to formulate specific questions that we can start addressing. Perfect.

eatpopcorn.gif

Maybe he got tired of sitting, waiting for his personal tutor to show...

Too bad really, whats the point of a good argument if it's moot?

Back