Can you call it a studio without a console?

M1Fanatic,

Hmmmm, not really.

You don't see a console here do ya? - This is a small studio that I designed/built in 2004. Radar II, Otari MTR-90 mkII, Nuendo, & lots of outboard custom micpre's. :D

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• P9260009.jpg
    P9260009.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 167
  • P9260007.jpg
    P9260007.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 164
Con·sole (kŏn' sōl) - Any recording control device that will get ruined when beer is spilled on it.

Ha, yes. But most people when they think of 'console' think analog. The unit with the faders in my pics above is a usb controller - no different than a mouse as far as what it does to the signal.

The only thing analog in that setup is the tape machine and the mic pres.
- John

Thoughts?

I don't have one but have recorded many a great band in mine.

1) Do you have a lava lamp??

If no, repeat until the answer to #1 is yes. If yes...

2) Do you have a comfy chair?

If no, repeat until the answer to #2 is yes. If yes...

CONGRATULATIONS!! :D

I dont have a lava lamp as im in rented accomodation at the moment...i hope to have a lava lamp one day ;o

This reminds me of Pinocchio...

He always wanted to be a real boy, and you want to have a real studio :D

When you wish upon a staaaaaaaar ;)

Can you call it a studio without a console?

Sure you can. All you need is an iPhone now.:p

is.php

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/499058-nanostudio-full-studio-iphone.html

Although it might help if its interfaced with this...

is.php

is.php

:laughings::p

Just got myself a used 32 channel Behringer mixer for free, but still works, to put in the studio. Do I use it to record? No! Do I attract more clients? Oh, yeah! And made my room look more classy too. :D

I have a lava lamp but it's in a different room to my recording equipment. Does this mean that my house is a studio? Or does it mean that the room the lava lamp is in is the studio and the rest of the equipment is misplaced?

As far as consoles go, I used to have a big control surface that I never used. It was useful though, as people would see it and go 'wow', then tell their friends that I was some hot shot recordist, which got people wanting me to record them. I'd get these calls and I'd be like "well I'm really just a hack", and they'd say "well I'm sure you'll do a fine job, I hear you have some pretty nice kit". I'd say ''ok then" and I'd tell them a bit about the rest of the equipment I had, what mics would be used, how we'd do it etc. They didn't care. All they cared about was that I had this big 'mixing board' and that meant I was the shiznit. :laughings:

It may have been said, but the console is the "pay me" piece in a professional studio- clients come in, see a big board, and are impressed. Right or wrong, it happens.

I would never market a studio as such without a console. Perceptions count.

Back