Can you call it a studio without a console?

There are many preconceived ideas about what a studio is, but that is changing as long soooo as you have a lava lamp, well then.....

Well, guys, having a recording 'studio' usually means that you have a room that is dedicated to audio recording. This term assumes a treated room that is properly balanced acoustically.

Too many times I see a collection of 'equipment' being called a studio. Folks should just say, "yeah! I've got some recording studio equipment!" but instead they say, "hay! I've got a recording studio!" Not true. -- Opinion of an old fart studio designer & engineer from the old days...

You don't need a console to have a studio but you do need a proper room. - I mean, seriously guys, would you go to have a family portrait taken at a professional photo studio or some guy's cluttered garage with photo equipment without proper lighting??? I hope you get my metaphor.

Cheers,
John

Well, guys, having a recording 'studio' usually means that you have a room that is dedicated to audio recording. This term assumes a treated room that is properly balanced acoustically.

Too many times I see a collection of 'equipment' being called a studio. Folks should just say, "yeah! I've got some recording studio equipment!" but instead they say, "hay! I've got a recording studio!" Not true. -- Opinion of an old fart studio designer & engineer from the old days...

You don't need a console to have a studio but you do need a proper room. - I mean, seriously guys, would you go to have a family portrait taken at a professional photo studio or some guy's cluttered garage with photo equipment without proper lighting??? I hope you get my metaphor.

Cheers,
John

This is what I would generally regard as being the perception of what a studio is.

However, times are a-changing. The idea can be twisted a bit, and I would now say that it means also a room configured for audio recording. These days I would think that "dedicated" is too narrow a word; it implies you do nothing but recording in the room.

When I started doing recording more vigorously than my previous dabblings, I had a choice of where to set it up: in a room dedicated solely for that purpose, or in the living room. A dedicated room has many advantages . . . but seeing as about 80% of my audio work is me sitting in front of a PC doing bits and pieces (as opposed to actually recording people who come in), this would mean spending 80% of my time in effective solitary confinement. So I choose to work on the living room so that it was acoustically friendly . . . and that's where the gear is.

I don't have the benefits of a dedicated space, but I do have the advantages of a spacious, comfortable, warm, social and acoustically sound area. This is also good when people come into record, because it is not as intimidating as some studios can be; it's a lot more casual.

And no . . . I don't have a console either . . . just the firepod. I might add that 'console' is also part of the traditional concept of studio. Nothing wrong with this, but it's not necessary.

Personally, I work in a very old school way with some very new technology. I.E I have an analog console and racks of analog outboard. I record through an analog console to a digital recorder. I edit in the recorder or using other software that suits what I want to do. I then mix down via analog through the console (automated) the outboard and record the mix on a computer. All my mastering is done in the box, but I have mastered stuff from other studios via my analog gear if it needs it. I have mixed projects in the box if it's a project that I think will work better that way.

To me a studio has a console, however I also work with a lot of younger engineers when working on crossover projects (multiple studios / locations used). I have actually come across engineers that have never used a console, they are great engineers but have never actually needed a console. I always laugh when they see the red leds light up and go into panic, welcome to the analog world.

So the answer: You don't need a console to be a real studio, just a good acoustic working space and the recording gear to do what is required.

Cheers
Alan.

Can you call it a studio without a console?

Yes, of course. I haven't had a horizontal big mixer (if that's what you mean) for 20 years. Most of them are garbage. I use a homemade passive mixer with tube compressors as makeup gain... I guess that's my console. :confused:

A recording studio is just a place where you record audio to me... it's the place. It could be your living room. The gear doesn't define it, the intent of the purpose does.

I did forget to mention, when people walk into the studio for the first time they always look at the console and go wow! Look at all those knobs and buttons. Somehow the old wow! Factor does not work with a computer screen and a few preamps, even though we know you can have a perfectly good studio without a console.

Alan.

P.S that's not my console, I wish!

Attachments

• console.jpg
    console.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 246
I agree that shiny glittery things create a wow factor, and a big console is one of the shiniest, most glittery things you can have.

So every now and gain I see a vague look of puzzlement in the starry eyes of those expecting to see lights and knobs and faders.

But I prefer the wow factor that occurs when they hear their stuff played back.

-- Some really good posts.

I used to be really 'stuck' having to have those faders, switches and knobs right in front of me. Then I went to using controllers, kinda like being weened. Now, I can say that, "I'm ok now." :D

Here in Indonesia, most places that want to have a 'real' studio still try to put in big consoles. (We're like 20-30 years behind anyway) So, I'm having some fun again designing rooms for these guys. :)

Cheers,
John

I think that if we're all honest, our favourite part of any piece of gear is a fancy nob, cool light or fancy dial.

Sooo many times I've been explaining to someone what something does, and it always ends with '"plus, it looks COOL".

This is what I would generally regard as being the perception of what a studio is.

However, times are a-changing. The idea can be twisted a bit, and I would now say that it means also a room configured for audio recording. These days I would think that "dedicated" is too narrow a word; it implies you do nothing but recording in the room.
One of the reasons that I like the term {and some of the book} "Guerilla recording" is that it frees one from John's definition and eases one into gecko zzed's. That's not a slight on John, by the way, whose views I respect and whose posts I like reading and where appropriate being challenged by. I was equally interested in his photographer analogy because right around the same time I got into recording at home in my little one bedroom flat, I got into developing and printing black and white photos at home. My bathroom/toilet had no window, I used to stick a wooden board on the bath and with my crude set up, do my thing. The first year of pictures were lame to improving, the next 13 were good, even if I say so myself.
For me John's perception is the dream, it's what I would like to have had if I'd had the money to have a house/flat with one or two more rooms, a room dedicated to recording and mixing with everything permanently set up {I actually did have that for a couple of years before the kids were born}.
But gekko's is my reality but without the luxury of expert treatment ! I record in every available nook and cranny, including toilet and bathroom. Can't fit a console in there ! :D
My 'studio' is a rather liquid, fluid and nebulous concept and as such, many of the things I grew up dreaming about, like consoles and 2 inch reel to reels, have never really materialized. But the funny thing is that while I love looking at pictures of studios, I prefer the reality as I have to live it. It's nice editing/tracking while the kids sleep behind me or next to my wife as she reads, watches TV or interrupts {:p}..........

I dont have a lava lamp as im in rented accomodation at the moment...i hope to have a lava lamp one day ;o

up yours! i live in the US and my walmarts selling it for $5.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: "dude"

:D

$5.99??? What's holding you back, man?? :eek: :confused: Your music will prosper. Especially yours!, KC.... :p j/k

A studio is a place to work or practice. What constitutes a recording studio is a matter of semantics. If it is where you work on your recordings, it's a studio. Mine is more of a music/recording/work/avoid the wife and kids studio.... :D

Last edited:
us technoheads went fluorescent years ago..$5.99 means nothing to me..Im a thousandonaire

No matter what you call your recording area, a console is pretty much a requirement for recording to analog tape.

And yeah, it does look cool. With or without the lava lamp. ;)

Studio0019.jpg

Back