Can it really be called racist if it's this inclusive?

The title posits the question as to whether or not the ad can be called racist.
And even that was meant as an absurd joke, in the sense of "He hates everyone equally". I really didn't expect any serious discussion to come out of this, but I'm glad it did. Not that I read most of it. I skimmed past most of it, but it seems to be an interesting conversation. But my intentions were not to offend or make a point of any kind. I thought it would get a few smirks at best. :)

It was your standard late night, low budget, cheap to advertise commercial of the time.
Standard no budget, no talent advertising themes that pushed certain buttons to garner attention. Just stupid shit.

Some people are reading waaay too much into it.

This type of advertising even made it into the TV series “Better call Saul”

Here was the sleazy attorney Saul Goodman going around with his ‘crew’ of film students filming budget commercials for his practice.

Repeat after me….. “no hate, just a stupid commercial, don’t take the bait”

I do find it amusing though that this thread would draw out a long time lurker to protest the thread only to retreat back to lurking.

:D

It was your standard late night, low budget, cheap to advertise commercial of the time.
Standard no budget, no talent advertising themes that pushed certain buttons to garner attention. Just stupid shit.
These kind of commercials were all over TV at a certain point. For some reason carpet wholesalers, mattress stores, linen, curtain stores, all tried to outdo each other in the tackiness department.
I do find it amusing though that this thread would draw out a long time lurker to protest the thread only to retreat back to lurking.
Frickin' carpet salesman. :eek:

These kind of commercials were all over TV at a certain point. For some reason carpet wholesalers, mattress stores, linen, curtain stores, all tried to outdo each other in the tackiness department.
I’d be willing to bet it was the rising advertising costs that weeded out these type of commercials. They became low budget players….. or more correctly, non players in a high budget world.

Never met him. But I did have an interaction with him once.

On the 101 freeway in the LA, a green Jaguar was on my ass. Despite me going over the speed limit this annoying driver kept on my ass. I guess I wasn’t going fast enough for him.

Finally he got an opening in the next lane to pass me. As he did, he flipped me the bird and yelled out his window ASSHOLE!!

Yeah, in real life, away from the stage, he was one hell of a nice guy. Seemed like just another dickhead to me.

But hey, it’s kind of funny. I got flipped off by Don Rickles. :D
When was that? He died in 2017 and I don't think he hadn't been in any condition to drive himself for some time before that.

I see he and his wife were carjacked in a Jaguar in '89. I'd never heard of this incident.

Last edited:
When was that? He died in 2017 and I don't think he hadn't been in any condition to drive himself for some time before that.

I see he and his wife were carjacked in a Jaguar in '89. I'd never heard of this incident.

In the 80s

Yes, it's funny if you're a normal human being. Political correctness has ruined tv shows and movies to the point that most people don't want to watch it anymore.

Uk tv had a program called love thy neighbour about a bigoted white guy living next to black guy, and the two wives get on brilliantly. Its findable on youtube and very much of the time, but the white guy always comes off worse.

Uk tv had a program called love thy neighbour about a bigoted white guy living next to black guy, and the two wives get on brilliantly. Its findable on youtube and very much of the time, but the white guy always comes off worse.
That sounds like Archie Bunker/George Jefferson on a 70's show called "All In the Family", which actually came from the British " Till Death Us Do Part".

Many younger people in America always seem to have a phone, tablet, or a tv in front of their face. Us older people laugh at this because the older generation likes to live our own lives instead of watching other people's make-believe lives on a screen. Nothing wrong with watching a good movie or tv show every day but living in front of a screen for hours a day seems like a waste of life to older generations. Most of stuff coming out of hollywood is crap nowadays in most Americans opinion as very few movie releases make it big at the box office anymore.

Many younger people in America always seem to have a phone, tablet, or a tv in front of their face,,,,,,,,blah blah blah
No offense, but.......What the fuck does that have to do with what we're talking about??? :eek:

By the way, my old man, and most other people's old men, used to sit at the kitchen table with his face in a newspaper, not interacting with anyone. How is that any better? People used to read the paper, or books, or People magazine on the bus and not look at each other. How is that any better?

The "old days" weren't the nirvana most old people like to pretend they were. Frickin' revisionist history is hilarious. Maybe it's brought on by senility and dementia, I don't know.

As long as we're going off-topic......

Women had to stay in the kitchen and couldn't pursue their dreams. If a young girl was sexually abused by her uncle, good luck trying to convince the cops, or even your own family. You had to keep your mouth shut rather than "disgrace the family", and you'd probably be called a liar, slut and whore, by your own mother. I'm speaking from experience. I've had 2 girlfriends in my life that lived through that exact shit. How is that better?

I realize that the pendulum has now swung too far the other way. Now, you have to believe everything a woman says, no questions asked. Which is ridiculous, because there are a lot of toxic, vindictive bitches who make shit up and ruin some men's lives. I get that. But at least the ones that were abused are listened to. It will never be perfect.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a young punk. I'm 62 and I'd go back to the 70's in a heartbeat. You can have my cellphone, computer, Wi-fi, GPS, take it all. The music was better, we used to sit around in the park getting high, playing music rather than "texting". Life was simpler and probably safer (even though I think crime and murder rates were actually higher, though I might be wrong).

A lot of things were better. But a lot of things weren't. Like anything, some nuance is needed. But people don't have any, and that includes old people, who think they have all the wisdom in the world. LOL!

EVERYONE has been brainwashed into believing they always have to "take sides" and that there are only 2 "sides". That's fucking bullshit. Complaining about the younger generation has been going on for centuries, and it's stupid. The truth is, once you get old, it's not your world any more. Live with it. That's just the way it is.

I guess people also complained when the car or the telephone were first invented. "When I was a kid, we had no cars or phones. We had to walk 20 miles in the snow, uphill in both directions, just to ask our next door neighbor for a cup of sugar".

I love how old people always complain about how shit things are while also complaining about how shit things were. :D

Ok, I'll get off your lawn now. :D

Most of stuff coming out of hollywood is crap nowadays in most Americans opinion...
Not to mention that most of the stuff Congress involves itself in nowadays (publicly) is crap and a smoke screen of what really goes behind closed doors of those hallowed walls.

No offense, but.......What the fuck does that have to do with what we're talking about??? :eek:

By the way, my old man, and most other people's old men, used to sit at the kitchen table with his face in a newspaper, not interacting with anyone. How is that any better? People used to read the paper, or books, or People magazine on the bus and not look at each other. How is that any better?

The "old days" weren't the nirvana most old people like to pretend they were. Frickin' revisionist history is hilarious. Maybe it's brought on by senility and dementia, I don't know.

As long as we're going off-topic......

Women had to stay in the kitchen and couldn't pursue their dreams. If a young girl was sexually abused by her uncle, good luck trying to convince the cops, or even your own family. You had to keep your mouth shut rather than "disgrace the family", and you'd probably be called a liar, slut and whore, by your own mother. I'm speaking from experience. I've had 2 girlfriends in my life that lived through that exact shit. How is that better?

I realize that the pendulum has now swung too far the other way. Now, you have to believe everything a woman says, no questions asked. Which is ridiculous, because there are a lot of toxic, vindictive bitches who make shit up and ruin some men's lives. I get that. But at least the ones that were abused are listened to. It will never be perfect.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a young punk. I'm 62 and I'd go back to the 70's in a heartbeat. You can have my cellphone, computer, Wi-fi, GPS, take it all. The music was better, we used to sit around in the park getting high, playing music rather than "texting". Life was simpler and probably safer (even though I think crime and murder rates were actually higher, though I might be wrong).

A lot of things were better. But a lot of things weren't. Like anything, some nuance is needed. But people don't have any, and that includes old people, who think they have all the wisdom in the world. LOL!

EVERYONE has been brainwashed into believing they always have to "take sides" and that there are only 2 "sides". That's fucking bullshit. Complaining about the younger generation has been going on for centuries, and it's stupid. The truth is, once you get old, it's not your world any more. Live with it. That's just the way it is.

I guess people also complained when the car or the telephone were first invented. "When I was a kid, we had no cars or phones. We had to walk 20 miles in the snow, uphill in both directions, just to ask our next door neighbor for a cup of sugar".

I love how old people always complain about how shit things are while also complaining about how shit things were. :D

Ok, I'll get off your lawn now. :D
By the way, if any thinks "I'm not reading all that". I don't blame you. I wouldn't either.

You're not missing anything. It's just a bunch of ranting bullshit anyway. :D

New member, Keysdweller, jumped in to voice an opinion, and you go all apeshit. Why? More than likely, Keysdweller will never post again. Can't say that I'd blame him for not feeling welcome here.

you go all apeshit.
Dude, you're literally the Queen of going apeshit. Every time, all the time. You're the epitome of the Angry Old Fart. Stay in your lane, Smithers.

He voiced an opinion and I asked what it had to do with what we're talking about, because what we're talking about had nothing to do with "kids" and "cellphones" and whatever other shit he's taking about. I never said he's not allowed to voice his opinion. Just seems a little weird to come in with something so extremely un-related to the topic at hand.

It was like, some kind of geriatric Tourette's or something. :D

So, then I voiced MY opinion, which wasn't really directed at him, just all old, angry, weak, narrow minded people,...like you. :D

And then YOU went apeshit. How is that different? See how it goes?

Are we having fun yet? :) (You're so easy to rile up. Haha)

Last edited:
Back